Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 07-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #51
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default 6.5 Grendel AR slow Build

Iíll be the first to tell you, IMO, youíre making a mistake on caliber. Either the 6.8 or 6.5 are much better ballistic choices. With that being said if the BO is what you want then by all means go for it.

Also you donít HAVE to use metal mags, the Pmags will work with a small round count of 6.5 cases.

If you are really want some help with this guy shoot me a PM and Iíll be glad to help walk you through it via text/calls.

Sierracharlie outÖ

Last edited by sierracharlie338; 07-12-2019 at 04:47 PM.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #52
yotethumper
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Just want to share my $0.02.

I have 24", 18", 16", and a 12" 6.5 grendel. I also have a 16" 300 blackout boltgun and a 10" 300 blackout AR. I hunt with all of them.

I would recommend the 12" 6.5 grendel over any AR15 for hunting. The 300 blackout is fun but the only sub load I have found that is worth anything is the 200/220 grain maker bullets which are over $2 a pop. If I am shooting super sonic the 6.5 grendel wins hands down. I don't shoot supers out of the blackout anymore, the grendel is just flat out superior.

Have shots hogs, coyotes, and deer out to 250ish yards with the 6.5 grendel, works great.

The blackout is pointless unsuppressed especially with a 16" barrel. You will be much better off with a 12-16" grendel.

Now if you want a dedicated suppressed SBR for sub 100 yard shots and you reload, the 300 blackout is fine.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #53
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Iíll be the first to tell you, IMO, youíre making a mistake on caliber. Either the 6.8 or 6.5 are much better ballistic choices. With that being said if the BO is what you want then by all means go for it.

Also you donít HAVE to use metal mags, the Pmags will work with a small round count of 6.5 cases.

If you are really want some help with this guy shoot me a PM and Iíll be glad to help walk you through it via text/calls.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Just want to share my $0.02.

I have 24", 18", 16", and a 12" 6.5 grendel. I also have a 16" 300 blackout boltgun and a 10" 300 blackout AR. I hunt with all of them.

I would recommend the 12" 6.5 grendel over any AR15 for hunting. The 300 blackout is fun but the only sub load I have found that is worth anything is the 200/220 grain maker bullets which are over $2 a pop. If I am shooting super sonic the 6.5 grendel wins hands down. I don't shoot supers out of the blackout anymore, the grendel is just flat out superior.

Have shots hogs, coyotes, and deer out to 250ish yards with the 6.5 grendel, works great.

The blackout is pointless unsuppressed especially with a 16" barrel. You will be much better off with a 12-16" grendel.

Now if you want a dedicated suppressed SBR for sub 100 yard shots and you reload, the 300 blackout is fine.

Definitely canít argue the ballistics of the two choices, I know better than that. .

So will the Grendel still perform out of the 12Ē barrel? I have been watching some videos and reading and some say itís all good, some say they have seen some performance suffer. Some may be due to ammo, some may be to matched equipment (optics?).

Who all makes a 12Ē Grendel barrel? All I have found is
Faxon - $175 lowest
Ballistic Adv. Hanson -$250 (out of stock)
Tactical Kinetics - $110 (donít know how their AR barrels are, Glock barrels seem to be popular)
Havenít found any other makers that I recall.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #54
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Default 6.5 Grendel AR slow Build

Have a buddy that has a Palmetto upper (12Ē barrel) that has made hits at 500 no problem. Any hunting out to 300 should be easy.

Adding a suppressor helps

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #55
yotethumper
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
So will the Grendel still perform out of the 12” barrel? I have been watching some videos and reading and some say it’s all good, some say they have seen some performance suffer. Some may be due to ammo, some may be to matched equipment (optics?).
Yes performs great out of a 12" barrel. The federal fusions are excellent, my favorite factory ammo for the grendel. The grendel will really shine with 100-120 grain handloads using the right bullet.

Quote:
Who all makes a 12” Grendel barrel? All I have found is
Faxon - $175 lowest
Ballistic Adv. Hanson -$250 (out of stock)
Tactical Kinetics - $110 (don’t know how their AR barrels are, Glock barrels seem to be popular)
Haven’t found any other makers that I recall.
Tbox makes an incredible barrel, they have 12" grendel barrels. PSA sells uppers, they work fine. PSA is honestly a good value for the price I have killed plenty of critters with the 12" PSA barrel. Atheris rifle company also has 12" barrels but you will need to message them, I dont think the 12" are on the website. They respond quickly on Facebook. Tbox is the best, atheris is great for the coin, PSA is fine if you need a cheaper option.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #56
4x4 AG
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg

So i see everyone is saying shorter barrels than i was looking at doing.
My question is why?

Is it weight? Adding Suppressor? just curious.

I want to build one and do not use a suppressor. Was looking at doing a 20" barrel as I figured that would get me full burn. but i see 18" and shorter mentioned here.

Thank you,
Justin
4x4 AG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #57
yotethumper
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 AG View Post
My question is why?

I want to build one and do not use a suppressor. Was looking at doing a 20" barrel as I figured that would get me full burn. but i see 18" and shorter mentioned here.

Thank you,
Justin
What are you using it for? Non-suppressed hunting 16" is my choice. Target shooting 18" is my go to. Suppressed hunting, cant beat a 12". Imagine hunting with a 18" barrel and a 7" suppressor, it gets old fast . Just easier to hunt with shorter compact barrels. You aren't losing a lot of FPS from 16" to 20".
Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #58
4x4 AG
Eight Point

just an all around gun. hunting, deer, pigs, and some target shooting for fun.

would like it accruate out to 500yrds, but likely not consistently shoot that far.

been looking at 20" as i thought it was optimal. but always prefer the shorter for manuvering.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #59
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
just an all around gun. hunting, deer, pigs, and some target shooting for fun.

would like it accruate out to 500yrds, but likely not consistently shoot that far.

been looking at 20" as i thought it was optimal. but always prefer the shorter for manuvering.

Im running a 16" barrel suppressed on mine. It is heavy, but I dont do a lot of spot and stalking. I am riding around on my golf cart or sitting in a blind. If I spot and stalk I like to take the lever gun in 30-30.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #60
4x4 AG
Eight Point

yah my hunting is in a blind. so not weight worried, just wanted the most optimal overall length. and thought it was 20", but his thread has me thinking 18' maybe fine???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
Im running a 16" barrel suppressed on mine. It is heavy, but I dont do a lot of spot and stalking. I am riding around on my golf cart or sitting in a blind. If I spot and stalk I like to take the lever gun in 30-30.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #61
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:
My question is why?

Thank you,
Justin
I have a 20Ē .223/5.56 RRA and it does well and is a good shooting gun. I am wanting something bigger caliber and shorter barrel for overall compactness because I just feel like the 20Ē is a tad front heavy. Now that I have pretty much considered SBR, <16Ē is sounding more and more fun just because of the size and that would be part of the reason for considering 300Blk. But I never realized a Grendel would go 12Ē and perform.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #62
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes performs great out of a 12" barrel. The federal fusions are excellent, my favorite factory ammo for the grendel. The grendel will really shine with 100-120 grain handloads using the right bullet.

Tbox makes an incredible barrel, they have 12" grendel barrels. PSA sells uppers, they work fine. PSA is honestly a good value for the price I have killed plenty of critters with the 12" PSA barrel. Atheris rifle company also has 12" barrels but you will need to message them, I dont think the 12" are on the website. They respond quickly on Facebook. Tbox is the best, atheris is great for the coin, PSA is fine if you need a cheaper option.
Ha well definitely gonna need some cheaper options compared to the Tbox and Aetrhis. .
Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #63
yotethumper
Eight Point

Quote:
Ha well definitely gonna need some cheaper options compared to the Tbox and Aetrhis. .
I get it but man they are so worth it! Their bolts are top of the line.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #64
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
yah my hunting is in a blind. so not weight worried, just wanted the most optimal overall length. and thought it was 20", but his thread has me thinking 18' maybe fine???

18 unsuppressed or 12 w/ suppressor are the way to go.

That being said I run an 18Ē barrel with a suppressor that adds about 5 inches give or take. Iíve shot it unsuppressed out to 700 with boring ease.

If you have a suppressor the 12Ē gets my vote if not 16-18 max for me.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #65
sidian
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Central TX

Quote:
Wow, the Atheris 12.5" 6.5 Grendel barrel looks really interesting! Had no idea this shop existed. Thanks for the recommendation.
sidian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #66
4x4 AG
Eight Point

thank you for the input. i googled it quite a bit yesterday and it looks like long distance shooters prefer the longer 22-24" barrels. but looking at the barrel velocities, the 18-20" barrels only have about 50fps difference between them.

PSA, shows the weight between their 20" and 18" barreled unit is the same. but if i had my rathers, i would prefer the 18" just for compactness.

Thank you.
Justin

Quote:
18 unsuppressed or 12 w/ suppressor are the way to go.

That being said I run an 18Ē barrel with a suppressor that adds about 5 inches give or take. Iíve shot it unsuppressed out to 700 with boring ease.

If you have a suppressor the 12Ē gets my vote if not 16-18 max for me.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #67
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:
Have a buddy that has a Palmetto upper (12” barrel) that has made hits at 500 no problem. Any hunting out to 300 should be easy.

Adding a suppressor helps

Sierracharlie out…
Quote:
I get it but man they are so worth it! Their bolts are top of the line.
Well I don’t want to go too cheap, but can’t go too expensive. What would be you guys thoughts on Faxon or Columbia River (BHW)? Faxon seem to have the reputation as good barrels, BHW I know has always been a brand I have recognized. Faxon 12” can be had around $175-225 fependingnin what you catch. CR/BHW are having a 30% off sale on custom barrels and I could get a 12” from them for about $160 or so, normally like $230 or so. What are you guys thoughts on either of those?

And how loud is this 12” gonna be? Especially with a brake or comp? Do linear comps help? The ones that push it to the front?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #68
yotethumper
Eight Point

Quote:
What are you guys thoughts on either of those?
Faxon is going to be a 1MOA barrel, not bad but not amazing. Perfectly fine for hunting. Personally, I'd take the BHW, I think they have a slightly better barrel.

Quote:
And how loud is this 12” gonna be? Especially with a brake or comp? Do linear comps help? The ones that push it to the front?
It is going to be LOUD. Since you are shooting unsuppressed I'd get a linear comp for sure.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #69
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well I donít want to go too cheap, but canít go too expensive. What would be you guys thoughts on Faxon or Columbia River (BHW)? Faxon seem to have the reputation as good barrels, BHW I know has always been a brand I have recognized. Faxon 12Ē can be had around $175-225 fependingnin what you catch. CR/BHW are having a 30% off sale on custom barrels and I could get a 12Ē from them for about $160 or so, normally like $230 or so. What are you guys thoughts on either of those?

And how loud is this 12Ē gonna be? Especially with a brake or comp? Do linear comps help? The ones that push it to the front?

Iíve seen some good reviews of Faxon barrels so I would have no issue purchasing one. I own a BHW barrel in 25-45 sharps and have no complains but I caught it on sale for only 90$ that being said, the round itself is not know to be a tack driver. Personally, Iíd go after a faxon then bhw if I couldnít get the faxon I wanted.

Comps (doesnít matter the kind) suck for everyone but you. If you have zero plans to suppress then go a little longer on the barrel is my .02 but buy what makes you happy first and foremost. I have a 10 inch 223 upper that everyone complains is loud but when Iím behind it with ear pro itís not hardly noticeable.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #70
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:
Faxon is going to be a 1MOA barrel, not bad but not amazing. Perfectly fine for hunting. Personally, I'd take the BHW, I think they have a slightly better barrel.

It is going to be LOUD. Since you are shooting unsuppressed I'd get a linear comp for sure.
Yea, and That would satisfy me. It doesn’t have to be precision. This is going to be an east Texas throw down gun, won’t be reaching out on anything with it. I have other guns (bolt actions) that I can pull out for that. Just don’t want it to shoot like “spray and pray” off a bench

Quote:
I’ve seen some good reviews of Faxon barrels so I would have no issue purchasing one. I own a BHW barrel in 25-45 sharps and have no complains but I caught it on sale for only 90$ that being said, the round itself is not know to be a tack driver. Personally, I’d go after a faxon then bhw if I couldn’t get the faxon I wanted.

Comps (doesn’t matter the kind) suck for everyone but you. If you have zero plans to suppress then go a little longer on the barrel is my .02 but buy what makes you happy first and foremost. I have a 10 inch 223 upper that everyone complains is loud but when I’m behind it with ear pro it’s not hardly noticeable.

Sierracharlie out…
Ha well that was one reason why this was almost a 300blk. BHW had a 14” 300blk pistol gas length for $78 and I almost jumped on it. Now that I have opened my eyes to SBR, I am steering away from the 14” P/W to make 16”. I really think this will get suppressed at some point. But the build will be completed before I get to doing any suppressor work.

And from what I see, CR/BHW calls their Grendel type 2 a 264 LBC?

Last edited by BBReezen; 07-16-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #71
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Triggers?

I am very accustomed to a RRA two stage that is in my current .223. Anything comparable to that would be good wth me. Single or two stage, I don’t use the two stage like it’s meant to be.

ALG Advanced Combat Trigger looks to be a very nice mil-spec style enhanced trigger for $70. Lots of good praise on YouTube for what it is using the lighter purple spring. Anyone have any experience with it?

I had a timney drop in about 8 years ago, wasn’t a fan. Have seen some CMC and equivalent other drop ins for $130-$160. Pros or cons of these?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #72
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Triggers?

I am very accustomed to a RRA two stage that is in my current .223. Anything comparable to that would be good wth me. Single or two stage, I donít use the two stage like itís meant to be.

ALG Advanced Combat Trigger looks to be a very nice mil-spec style enhanced trigger for $70. Lots of good praise on YouTube for what it is using the lighter purple spring. Anyone have any experience with it?

I had a timney drop in about 8 years ago, wasnít a fan. Have seen some CMC and equivalent other drop ins for $130-$160. Pros or cons of these?

IIRC the type two is what you want cause it has the correct dimensions. Will check on that and confirm.

As far as triggers go, IMO, the RRA is an outstanding trigger for the money. If you just want to save a few coins, the ACT is also an outstanding trigger. RRA for more precision work, ACT best combat style trigger (CQB type work not sniper stuff but can do both fairly well) on the market.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #73
offshore2005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette county/Texas

Love my Grendel.. I alway say you get what you pay for. I went with Grendel hunter and ordered everything from their website. Grendelhunter.com look them up. The first time I took it to the range I was shooting .039 MOA groups at 200 yards with hornady 123 sst.
offshore2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #74
offshore2005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette county/Texas

offshore2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #75
Yelladog
Ten Point

Faxom had their barrels 15-20% not sure if that sale is still going on but it was over the weekend for sure
Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #76
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
I’ve seen some good reviews of Faxon barrels so I would have no issue purchasing one. I own a BHW barrel in 25-45 sharps and have no complains but I caught it on sale for only 90$ that being said, the round itself is not know to be a tack driver. Personally, I’d go after a faxon then bhw if I couldn’t get the faxon I wanted.

Comps (doesn’t matter the kind) suck for everyone but you. If you have zero plans to suppress then go a little longer on the barrel is my .02 but buy what makes you happy first and foremost. I have a 10 inch 223 upper that everyone complains is loud but when I’m behind it with ear pro it’s not hardly noticeable.

Sierracharlie out…
You guys think I would be doing good if I found a Ballistic advantage Hanson 12.5” barrel for $170? Faxon barrels seem to be non existent and the TacticalKinetics folks have not answered an email i put in. So I’m thinking I should jump on this.

What ye think?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #77
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
You guys think I would be doing good if I found a Ballistic advantage Hanson 12.5Ē barrel for $170? Faxon barrels seem to be non existent and the TacticalKinetics folks have not answered an email i put in. So Iím thinking I should jump on this.

What ye think?

Iíve heard good things about ballistic advantages so no arguments from me.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #78
yotethumper
Eight Point

Quote:
You guys think I would be doing good if I found a Ballistic advantage Hanson 12.5Ē barrel for $170? Faxon barrels seem to be non existent and the TacticalKinetics folks have not answered an email i put in. So Iím thinking I should jump on this.

What ye think?
Go for it, lots of people love their 12.5" BA grendel barrels.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #79
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Well I ordered it, $225 barrel on sale for $189 and 10% off made it $170. It should be here next week sometime, Ill be on vacation when it arrives at the office will report on it when I see it. Bout all I lack is handguard, bolt and muzzle device and scope. Trigger arrived today but didn’t go to the office to get it.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #80
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well I ordered it, $225 barrel on sale for $189 and 10% off made it $170. It should be here next week sometime, Ill be on vacation when it arrives at the office will report on it when I see it. Bout all I lack is handguard, bolt and muzzle device and scope. Trigger arrived today but didnít go to the office to get it.

Nice man youíre almost there!

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #81
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nice man youíre almost there!

Sierracharlie outÖ
Then I gotta pay my $200 sometime too
Old 07-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #82
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Then I gotta pay my $200 sometime too

Yeah but thatís just money out of your pocket and paperwork haha

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 PM   #83
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

Not sure how Iíve been missing this thread but I put a 12.5Ē barrel Grendel together not to long ago & I love the thing. Itís not suppressed yet so it pretty loud, but it shoots lights out. It loves the 90gr American Eagle ammo, 1/2Ē groups at 100. Iím running a Ballistic Advantage barrel, cmc 2.5lb trigger & sbca3 brace. Itís short compact & kills what we point it at.
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #84
txrevolution
Six Point

I have a BA Hanson barrel in 5.56 11" and have been happy with the results. that's same gun Carrie's the ALG combat trigger which is great as well. It's my HD gun and I'm very glad I didn't go with anything any lighter.

I have a CMC 4.5# single stage trigger in a other 16" build and it feels much lighter than the ALG. More for precision work.
txrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #85
yotethumper
Eight Point

I love high end ARs but man I have killed a ton of critters with this little 12" 6.5 grendel PSA upper. If anyone wants a compact grendel on a budget I would give this one a shot.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #86
Bish
Ten Point

I guess there is bad and good always, but I also have the BCA 18'' stainless upper in a 6.5 Grendel and it shoots quarter size at 100yds with Hornady Black. Love this gun

God Bless
Bish
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top