cottonseed for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cottonseed for deer

I saw the other thread on here asking about cottonseed. I saw something on the book of faces today saying that cottonseed would make deer sterile. Anybody ever heard of this?

I often get asked about wholeseed cottonseed as an alternative whitetail deer feed.   It has gained in popularity in recent years and here is what you need to know:

From what I remember it has to be one of their main sources of food.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
      This

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
        Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        This
        Would it not be one of their main sources? I know if we run free choice protein they will absolutely drain a 50gal feeder in about 4 days. I dont use it so I dont know. Just kinda peeked my interest since I see it all the time on here.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
          Would it not be one of their main sources? I know if we run free choice protein they will absolutely drain a 50gal feeder in about 4 days. I dont use it so I dont know. Just kinda peeked my interest since I see it all the time on here.
          No. In free range deer, I wouldn't worry about it. It's pen-raised deer where it could be a problem, and even that is debatable.

Comment

Fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
              Fake news.
              LOL...Ok if you say so.

Comment

It is only an issue in a small high fence pasture when it is their primary source of food. In a low fence application there is nothing to worry about. In almost every HF scenario there is also nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                  It is only an issue in a small high fence pasture when it is their primary source of food. In a low fence application there is nothing to worry about. In almost every HF scenario there is also nothing to worry about.
                  This...

Comment

Thanks to everyone the replied with a normal answer. Like I said I dont feed it and it just made me wonder. Good luck to everybody this year. 73 days 15 hours and 14 mins to legal shooting light. But whos counting!! LOL

Comment

Only if you feed it year around you would even have to worry about it . If you stop it in September you are fine. Just feed it like you do your protein. January tell September.

Comment

I feed it exclusively from mid January to mid March and then I feed both cottonseed and pelletized protein. I stop feeding cottonseed by the first of September and have had no problems with that program.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                          I feed it exclusively from mid January to mid March and then I feed both cottonseed and pelletized protein. I stop feeding cottonseed by the first of September and have had no problems with that program.
                          We feed it from January to September as well and haven’t had any issues. Deer are natural browsers and prefer to browse plants. Typically on a normal place with good habitat a deer will only eat 15-20% of its diet in supplemental feed. The more years you feed they more the tend to eat but we still stop cottonseed in September just to be safe.

Comment

We feed cottonseed year round but it’s on 100acres low fence.
                            Also if you think pigs won’t eat it...they will

Comment

Not again

Comment

Working...
                              X