Metal blind platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal blind platform

I need some help fellas. I am going to build a 10' metal platform for my brothers deer blind as a gift. He has a 4' X 6' fiberglass blind sitting on 8' scaffolding that was a quick fix to elevate it about 3 years ago. I have been looking online and searched TBH and haven't been able to find what I am looking for. Help me out, give me some ideas or share a link please.

Four legs, a ladder with porch and some cross bracing.
    I like to angle the legs on mine a little.
    Should be plenty of pics available online. Use search button on here.
    Good luck.

Comment

I've seen them made of angle iron, square tubing and oilfield pipe. Like BolilloLoco said, there are plenty of ideas out there - find one you like and copy it.

Or do like most welders (me included) find one you like at a retailer, take some pics and maybe get some measurements and build your own copy of it.

Just remember, torsional (cross) bracing is what makes or breaks you. Brace the legs against each other diagonally and cross-brace the floor too.

Comment

Angle iron 1-1/2" or 2"
        Click image for larger version

Name:	STAND1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	24490543

Name:	STAND2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	24490544

Comment

Most of the ones that i've built are so that i can load it in back of my truck, dont always have trailer available.

Comment

I have found setting legs at 22.5 degrees give a stable footprint. I made this for a groundlbind platform and later put a box blind on it.

Comment

I have several built like the ones above except the cross braces are horizontal and the ladder is built in welded to the platform as well as the cross brace. The cross brace is the bottom step of the ladder. Mine are only five feet tall as I have no need to be higher. Taller ones might need diagonal bracing. They have a gusset at each corner to bolt the blind down and two braces under the blind floor as well. All are built with 1.5" square tubing I think. Some of them are six years old and all are under 4x6 or 5.5x5.5 fiberglass boxes. The legs have pads on them with a hole large enough to drive a sucker rod into the ground to " nail " it down. No issues at all, but get them level if you have a tight fitting door, or it will be hard to open and close.

Edit: I like 2Big's steps better than my ladder. The older I get, the less I like the ladders.
              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-29-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                I have found setting legs at 22.5 degrees give a stable footprint.
                I knew there was a particular degree that was best but couldn't think of it. Thank you!

Comment

Mine is a 6X7 stand. 10' tower. 2" square tubing with 1 1/4" bracing. Stairs are 6" C purlin.

Comment

you can google metal deer blind platforms and get a bunch of ideas.. I think this is a comfortable model, easy to walk up and down. Helps with old timers and small kids

Comment

I build mine out of 1.5" 14ga square tubing. Cross braces out of 3/4" tubing. Also...I like my legs at about 15 degrees.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Name:	minimporch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	24490571

Name:	16632.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24490572

This guy is currently building me a platform. The legs and ladder will be sleeved and cross braces bolted so I can take apart and move easier. He is also adding expanded metal mesh to the top of the mini porch/ladder.

Comment

I've built them out of unistrut with all bolt connections to assemble in the field without a welder

Comment

Originally posted by HunterRoss View Post
                            I've built them out of unistrut with all bolt connections to assemble in the field without a welder
                            I have built several in my shop that are modular and can be set up in the field with 2 people. These are very heavy duty and over built but will be here a long long time. The one pictured below was set up on the side of a hill and the adjustable feet were used, it was almost 2 feet difference from front to back. You can get mine perfectly level with a solid footing. It's made of square tubing and galvanized sheet metal that it completely modular and breaks down to 4 walls, roof floor unit, legs/bracing and stairs.

Here are the pieces on the ground with the wife shielding herself from the sun.

Here is a 4x6 with landing and stairway set up.

Comment

Thank you for posting pictures! I will probably copy one of these and combine some extras from another blind pictured. Bump for more ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X