Self employed family health Insurance advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed family health Insurance advice

Hi we are shopping for health insurance as a self employed family. We are a family of four and my wife had a small melanoma taken off her shoulder a couple years ago. Right now Insurance is rough we are paying $1,500 a month for crappy catastrophic insurance that really doesn't cover much. We have tried to look around the internet but it seems like a bunch of shady sites that require your phone number and don't return your call or are telemarketers.

We make enough that Obama crap really doesn't help us even when we went with out a work contract for three months.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!

That sucks. there are several threads on this already on TBH.

i'm "lucky" i'm not self employed....

Comment

Find a local broker. Spend some time on the phone or in their office. They can usually get some competitive rates.

Comment

Shoot me a pm. I will give you my brother in law's information. He helped me out during the 90 days before my new insurance kicked in. It was extremely reasonable.

Comment

I was self employed for 15 years. Unfortunately insurance was one of the reasons I went to work for someone else..

Comment

self pay had skin caner paid cash easy peasy

Comment

A decent Blue Cross plan is about all there is and it will have high out of pocket and deductible. We just paid for it. Sorry.............

Comment

look into some of the Christian healthshare options such as Samaritan or Liberty. There are some previous threads with info.

Comment

My wife has insurance through her job. She doesn't pay anything for hers but if the whole family was on the plan she would and it would be fairly expensive. I'm self employed and have a plan through Blue Cross, both kids have policies through them as well. Kids are 15 and 5 and we pay right under $1k a month total for the three of us.

Whatever you do don't try to get a quote through any website. I made that mistake and was getting 25-30 calls a day trying to get me signed up on all kinds of bootleg insurance.

Comment

Blue Cross is who we went with, not excited about it but they were the least crappy out of everything we've looked at, so far two guys named Vinnie and Tony haven't showed up wanting premiums but we expect them every month.

Comment

I'm self employed, have been for 16 years. We have Christian Medishare but basically treat it as catastrophic coverage and pay cash for everything. We've found that the discount we get when we ask for a cash price is often more than 50%, sometimes quite a bit more.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

We (family of 4) are currently using Blue Cross and its a tad under $1100. Its a decent plan for the wife and little kiddos. We had Gus Bates Insurance help us out and that is who they recommended for our situation.

I'm thinking about leaving the wife & kids on the BCBS plan and looking into the Christian Share plan for myself....I think that is about the only way we will be able to save some money.

Comment

Go with a company you can trust (BCBS) etc. and an ACA plan. I sell insurance but stopped messing with health insurance when Obummer screwed everything up. I have tried temporary plans and non ACA plans and you get what you pay for when it comes to health ins. They either don’t pay anything or cancel you at the end of the year if you go on claim. I am getting signed back up with BCBS so I can do my own and family and friends. I will go with a higher delectable higher out of pocket plan that has a prescription card. No matter how high your deductible things that are considered preventative have no deductible in most cases. Colonoscopy’s, mammograms etc. hope this helps

Comment

does BCBS or others offer a PPO plan for an individual?

Comment

tag...

To the OP, did you ever get a quote on the obama crap??
                              Last edited by Artos; 11-12-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X