Looking at new Dodges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at new Dodges

Have always been a ford owner but looking at the new Dodge 2500 diesel for my next truck. Tell me the good and bad.

You'll have tons of guys that love their Dodges and tons that say don't do it. I'm in the don't do it camp based on personal experience with company trucks and friends and family with them. I want to like them because they are nice looking trucks but I have had nothing but issues and disappointment from every Dodge/Chrysler product we have owned. I decided to never own another. But you are about to have guys tell you the exact opposite so good luck!

Comment

I had a 2018 2500 with the hemi. Ended up getting rid of it with around 20K on it. It was in and out of the shop for over 2 months. Between 15-20K it had the torque converter replaced, and the rear differential was rebuilt. It was still having issues that Ram wouldn’t resolve when I traded it in. I may have got a lemon, but I’ve seen several threads of people having similar issues that weren’t fixed by Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following for info as well. My opinion, based off the older models and the new 2019 models, is if you plan on doing a bit of towing, I’d get the 2019 or newer. The 2018 and previous 3/4 tons have a 3.42 rear end. In 2019 they went with a 3.73. The 18 gets a touch better fuel mileage but won’t tow near as good as a 19 with 3.73. After test driving both, I thought the 3.73 had better low end torque in acceleration and stayed in the lower gears longer before shifting. I know the motor should last forever, but the jury is out in the rest of the truck. First thing I’d do after you roll past warranty, is remove all the def and factory emissions crap off the truck and go back to pre emissions. Truck will run better, last longer, and give you better performance even without chipping it or doing an upgraded programmer.

Comment

Stick with Ford
          Better resale value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
            Stick with Ford
            Better resale value

Is drake really worth it though if the power stroke engine won’t make it to half of the life span of a Cummins? Not saying it won’t but I don’t see many people bragging on a ford motor going 500k. Not to mention ford will not come off the price of their trucks like dodge will. I’ve shipped both and the best I’ve gotten off a ford is 6k. I’ve gotten 10k off a dodge without even trying.

Comment

I've had two Dodges, both 3500 models with the Cummins diesel. I loved my 2004 model. I never had any mechanical issues with my 2015 model, but it felt like a snail when I wanted to accelerate. I think it was because it had the 3.42 rear end. When I ordered the truck I asked for a 3.73 rear end, and the salesman said that wasn't available in the single rear wheel trucks. I would have to order a dually to get a 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio. Otherwise I had no complaints.

Comment

I gotta buddy that has the 2017 6.7 power stroke f250. Pulling stock trailers full of cows you never knew the trailer was there. If I was to go diesel right now I’d go with ford. I have a Chevy halfton but from what I’ve seen with the ford diesels it’s hands down to me

Comment

I got 10k off my Ford when I bought it. Shop somewhere else. It’s really supply and demand. If the market is good trucks cost more money. Dodge discounts so they get more business. Ford trucks will be gone off the lot at any price. It definitely pays to shop around for any truck dodge FORD or Chevy

Comment

I had a 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie longhorn with the Cummins. drove it for 180,000 miles with nothing other than fuel filter oil changes and occasional EGR valve cleaning. It was a great truck, just downsized since I spend too much time downtown. I miss that truck quite a bit, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

That said, I have had good luck with all the major brands over the past 15 years. I just buy what I like most at the time and see how they hold up. I am far from brand loyal...

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                      Is drake really worth it though if the power stroke engine won’t make it to half of the life span of a Cummins? Not saying it won’t but I don’t see many people bragging on a ford motor going 500k. Not to mention ford will not come off the price of their trucks like dodge will. I’ve shipped both and the best I’ve gotten off a ford is 6k. I’ve gotten 10k off a dodge without even trying.

I haven’t seen a lot of the new ones being talked about getting to 500K on any of these new engines, the old ones yes, the new ones no.

My brother had a 13 3500 dually Cummins and he used it as a dually should and he had a lot of trouble with it after about 130K DEF issues, front end issues, fuel system issues as well. The interior on it looked awesome but was not comfortable at all, his electronics on the stereo would act up every so often as well. He traded it for a new F350 not to long ago. One thing I will give that 3500 Cummins tho is that it towed really well, he regularly towed a 40’ all steal triple axle all enclosed exotic trailer loaded down full of 1,000 pound animals all over the place with it, and never had a complaint about its towing ability.
                      Last edited by 160class; 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The tail gate is a deal killer. Terrible idea....

Comment

I have a 2017 2500 with the 6.4 hemi and it has the 3.73 rears in it. Been a great truck. Plenty of pullin power and gets good mileage. No complaints or issues. Like stated above you will get likes and dislikes from everyone. My wife and I both been drivin dodges since 2003. She drove a grand caravan for 13 years. Had 208k on it when got her the dog half ton she has now. Been good vehicles. No real issues with any of them. There are good ones and bad ones. That's true of any brand.

Comment

Dodge doesn’t sell trucks

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

I've owned many new Ford Trucks and always expect 10-12k off sticker. Sometimes it was easier than other times to get it but I always did. I'm surprised you were only able to get 6k off. I always drive into Houston and shop the volume dealers.

Comment

Working...
                              X