Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we have a legit conversation about crossbows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we have a legit conversation about crossbows?

DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A PIZZING MATCH PLEASE.

Many of you know that I tore my bicep tendon off last week, I got it stitched back on two days ago. 3 weeks in a cast and 12 weeks therapy. Arm hurts right now so I cant sleep

I have thought about cranking my wheelie bow down to 50 pounds and see how it feels after the cast comes off. Too many of y'all have told me not to do that, so I have considered buying a crossbow to use. Aint no way I could use my take down. Part of me says no its not archery and part of me says yes its ok because your old and your bones is wore out.

I hate to pay 500-700 for a crossbow for one season. But I sure hate to miss a season, I cant sit around cause it kills me. Some of the comments from guys on TBH about crossbows seem very negative. I know two guys in their 80's that just bought crossbows and are going to the woods for archery season this year, they are excited. I guess I could buy one and use it for a while and sell it after season or give it to the next TBHer that messes his arm or shoulder up.

I dont think I would want a crossbow that costs 2500.00 and throws bolts at 475 fps. I thought about getting one that shoots 350fps and costs 500.00. Ten Point has the Horton RDX on sale for 574.99 and most of the reviews are very positive. Pretty sure I would have to get one that uses a crank.

I would rather buy one from a website sponsor but I do not know who that would be.

Honestly I dont know what to do. Maybe I can just be a camp biatch for some sorry souls
    Last edited by Radar; 08-09-2019, 03:35 AM.

Who cares what other people think. You do know what to do. You may not know what crossbow to get but you do know you should get one. When compound bows came out all the trad guys said it was cheating.

Really any crossbow that is not Barnett will work. Especially for one season. Ten point has a very good reputation. You would be safe there.

Good luck on your season and hope you heal fast

Comment

Is there a reason why some are using aluminum bolts with crossbows? Can I build my own bolts with a helical fletch?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        Is there a reason why some are using aluminum bolts with crossbows? Can I build my own bolts with a helical fletch?
        I don’t know about the aluminum bolts. I only use carbon. I also don’t think the helical will work because one of your fletching goes into a grove and when shot it slides down the length of that grove. I think a helical would run or even tear up your fletching

Comment

I don't personally think crossbows are really "bow hunting." That being said there is absolutely a place for them. I bought one when I tore up my shoulder and elbow. I needed surgery to repair them. Like you, I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to hunt. I killed a couple deer with mine. It was a cheap Barnett crossbow. YES BARNETT CROSSBOWS CAN ACTUALLY KILL A DEER . It got the job done. You will need one with a crank or some type of assisted cocking. I didn't get the same "thrill of the hunt" I have when using a bow. The crossbow is pretty much like shooting a gun IMO. I was very glad to have one though. It sure beat the heck out of not hunting at all. I healed up and then sold it. I have no doubt I will own a crossbow again someday when I'm too old or disabled to draw a bow back anymore.

I would talk to your doctor about lowering the poundage on your bow. I don't think there is much stress on a bicep when drawing back a bow. It would be worth asking "if" he's familiar with bows that is. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Ten Points are hard to beat. They've been in the game a long time and have the best warranty and customer service. Did just see a mission sub 1 in the classifieds which are nice too due to the fact that they can be decocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Google South Shore Archery supply and give Jerry a call he can build you some awesome arrows that will be way better than anything you can buy off a shelf for not hardly any more money

Comment

I went to a crossbow last season, I dom't really care what anyone on here thinks...I did it because I wanted to....do what you want...it is completely legal

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  I don't personally think crossbows are really "bow hunting." That being said there is absolutely a place for them. I bought one when I tore up my shoulder and elbow. I needed surgery to repair them. Like you, I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to hunt. I killed a couple deer with mine. It was a cheap Barnett crossbow. YES BARNETT CROSSBOWS CAN ACTUALLY KILL A DEER . It got the job done. You will need one with a crank or some type of assisted cocking. I didn't get the same "thrill of the hunt" I have when using a bow. The crossbow is pretty much like shooting a gun IMO. I was very glad to have one though. It sure beat the heck out of not hunting at all. I healed up and then sold it. I have no doubt I will own a crossbow again someday when I'm too old or disabled to draw a bow back anymore.

I would talk to your doctor about lowering the poundage on your bow. I don't think there is much stress on a bicep when drawing back a bow. It would be worth asking "if" he's familiar with bows that is. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
                  I asked him an he said the muscle behind the arm does more when pulling back, he was more concerned about holding it when drawn back. He shakes his head a lot when we talk, maybe he got the ear mites. Seriously though he did say try one pull back in two months and see how it feels .

I also think your right about the excitement of killing with a vertical bow versus a crossbow. That is part of my hang up.

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
                    Ten Points are hard to beat. They've been in the game a long time and have the best warranty and customer service. Did just see a mission sub 1 in the classifieds which are nice too due to the fact that they can be decocked.
                    I inquired about it, but that one is a long ways away from me.

Comment

I don't shoot a crossbow as I like better being able to draw on an animal and have that element of getting busted. But there isn't anything wrong with'em either. You do what floats your boat. Gun, bow, compound, crossbow, spear rock, whatever. Just don't wear a loin cloth...

I had 3 rotator cuff tears and a bicep tear repaired and was in rehab for 3 months. What I did was order 30-40lb limbs from Mathews and had CCR install & tuned the bow. Took a deer that season!! I was no where near 100% but I hunted, took a buck and felt good

You do what you gotta do and kill somethin!!

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                        I don't shoot a crossbow as I like better being able to draw on an animal and have that element of getting busted. But there isn't anything wrong with'em either. You do what floats your boat. Gun, bow, compound, crossbow, spear rock, whatever. Just don't wear a loin cloth...

I had 3 rotator cuff tears and a bicep tear repaired and was in rehab for 3 months. What I did was order 30-40lb limbs from Mathews and had CCR install & tuned the bow. Took a deer that season!! I was no where near 100% but I hunted, took a buck and felt good

You do what you gotta do and kill somethin!!
                        Never considered that. I will make a phone call today and see what poundage limbs are available for my bow.

Comment

Dead is dead

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Radar, u can get a sniper 360 crossbow for $300. Camo or black. Great crossbow. My son in law got one for my daughter and granson. They love em and they have both got deer and hogs with them. Guarantee u will like it. I'm fixen to go get me one cause I'm 62 and can't hold my mathews steady long enough anymore. Hope ur recovery goes well. Hope ur recovery goes well.

Comment

Working...
                            X