X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me build an arrow. Hexx

Set up:
    Vertix 28”DL #70
    Looking to build an Easton hexx. I want a lighter arrow with a lot of weight up front. Either 50 or 75 gr insert. 100 gr heads. When adding weight, spine starts to confuse me. Help if you can!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What spine are your shooting now? My high foc arrows are 250 spine out of my full throttle. What done with mine is got the 250’s & fact weights added my of choice, shot & added fact weight till the arrow flew straight. I didn’t worry about total arrow weight. My other bows I ran the 300 spine velocity shaft with 100gr inserts & added fact weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I currently shoot the Hexx 330 with 50gr. insert and 100gr. heads. I have a Halon w/ 29"DL and 70# limbs. Arrow length carbon to carbon is just shy of 30". They fly fantastic for me. Weigh in at 428 gr. total arrow weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
        What spine are your shooting now? My high foc arrows are 250 spine out of my full throttle. What done with mine is got the 250’s & fact weights added my of choice, shot & added fact weight till the arrow flew straight. I didn’t worry about total arrow weight. My other bows I ran the 300 spine velocity shaft with 100gr inserts & added fact weight.

No clue. Just got the bow, and getting ready to build arrows.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pm muddyfuzzy he can help you out with building some. He did great on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
            Pm muddyfuzzy he can help you out with building some. He did great on mine.
            I don't want someone to build it for me, I just want guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
              No clue. Just got the bow, and getting ready to build arrows.

I shoot a 29” draw, my GT Velocities are cut to 27.5”, 100gr insert & a 125gr head. They come in around 500gr or a little more if I remember right. They fly great & hit hard no matter what bow I shoot them out of. If I decide to shoot a different bow I add or remove some fact weights to weaken or stiffen the spine. In my opinion heavy is KING as long as you have most of the weight up front. I haven’t had an animal stop them yet. My last build was some 400 spine Velocities cut to 26.5” with 100gr insert, don’t remember how much weight behind the insert, 100gr head. They came in at 455gr with about 19% foc. Out of my 60lb Elite Synergy got a full pass through on a 190lb boat through the shield.

Here’s another opinion of mine. Get the lightest, stiffest spine, cut it to your length & add weight to weaken it back up. Something else I’ve noticed with my arrows if I added a lighted nock, it seemed to stiffen the spine a tad. I’ve added a lighted nock & got a stiff tear & had to add some weight in the front to get it to straighten out. Have fun. I’ve enjoyed building my own arrows & experimenting with them.

Now there are guy on here that are far more knowledgeable than me & hopefully they’ll chime in also.

Comment

I don't know about the Vertix specifically, but I used to shoot the 330 Hexx cut to 27 1/4" (27.5 draw) out of a 70 pound BTX 28. The Hexx had 75 grain brass inserts and a 100 grain head. They flew like darts and paper tuned just fine. I didn't mess with bare shaft as all the broad heads I shot worked fine in this setup. I'd bet your going to be similar unless you go with heavier broadheads

Comment

Bump. Should I go 340 or 260 spine? I wish there was a 300.

Comment

Im in the same boat as you. I am shooting Hexx 330's now with 75 grain insert and 100 grain head but went from 65lb draw weight to 75lbs to try to gain some of my speed back. Every calculator and chart ive found online is putting me right at a 300 spine. But The Hexx doesnt offer that so im considering going to the 260 and hope itll work.

Comment

why do you need a 300? just go to 260. people need to understand arrows work on the reaction when shot. if the reaction is too much then go to the next spine. the gap you see in this set of arrows is telling you it doesn't matter. if it did then Easton would have a 300 spine.

just get the 260 and put the amount of weight that will work and tune it.

Comment

I built up 2 dozen 260 hexes 12 with 50 and 12 with 75. My bow hated them we spent hours tuning and they just didn’t fly right. Went back to a 300 axis they paper tuned in 2 shots and groups went to the size of quarter. So if your ever up in dfw I have some I’d sell. There 29.5 shaft end to end

Bow specs
                        Triax
                        Draw 30”
                        Limbs maxed at 71.5

Comment

Originally posted by D u s t y View Post
                          I built up 2 dozen 260 hexes 12 with 50 and 12 with 75. My bow hated them we spent hours tuning and they just didn’t fly right. Went back to a 300 axis they paper tuned in 2 shots and groups went to the size of quarter. So if your ever up in dfw I have some I’d sell. There 29.5 shaft end to end

Bow specs
                          Triax
                          Draw 30”
                          Limbs maxed at 71.5
                          I would take the ones with 75 grain inserts off your hands but there cut too short for me. Did you try using heavier field points?

Comment

Originally posted by D u s t y View Post

Bow specs
                            Triax
                            Draw 30”
                            Limbs maxed at 71.5
                            I'm running the 340s and they are working perfect for me. As long as I shoot and different spots!

Comment

I built 2 sets of arrows this year.. 29 inch draw. Cut my arrows to 28 inches. 60 lb bow I settled on 550 grain arrow . I use velocity arrows and I bought the weight wrench and a couple pack of weights.. I added weight until I noticed the arrow wobbling when shot . Then I backed the weight down.. my arrows are 300 spine . They fly great.. my 75 lb bow I shoot the same arrow but at 450 grains.. after that I would have to go stiffer to get the same flight I want..

I use to be in the lightest fastest possible croud.. but after playing around with my set up I'm in the middle. Whitetail hunting where 25 yards is a long shot I use my 60 lb bow. Out west and spot and stalk I use the vertix at 75 with lighter arrows.. shot placement is more important to me in that situation..
                              Last edited by jds247; 01-27-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X