UTV High Racks...PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTV High Racks...PSA

Seeing all the picks of the UTV high racks just wanted to remind yall to add extra security by strapping the bed to the cab ( have dog collar or cable with lock works great). Those high racks have caused many beds to pop open severely injuring some. A person I knew was paralyzed from chest down due to this. Polaris is notorious for this mechanical failure. Be safe

Y’all be safe out there.

Comment

Good reminder, thanks Brandon.

Comment

Thank you for the reminder

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. I was not aware of this issue.

Comment

Yep, its a small piece of plastic holding that bed latched in place. Not very safe for a high rack with people in it.

Comment

Yep...first thing we did with ours was add a piece of all-thread securing the bed to the frame so that it can not come up.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Seeing all the picks of the UTV high racks just wanted to remind yall to add extra security by strapping the bed to the cab ( have dog collar or cable with lock works great). Those high racks have caused many beds to pop open severely injuring some. A person I knew was paralyzed from chest down due to this. Polaris is notorious for this mechanical failure. Be safe
                Very good PSA. In all fairness to the manufacturers, I'm fairly certain the beds on these Sxs's weren't engineered for the different type of structural stress a high-rack mounted to the bed creates. Put 600 lbs of people and gear, centered 3-4' above the sxs bed and the lateral stress on the bed is more like 2000 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  Very good PSA. In all fairness to the manufacturers, I'm fairly certain the beds on these Sxs's weren't engineered for the different type of structural stress a high-rack mounted to the bed creates. Put 600 lbs of people and gear, centered 3-4' above the sxs bed and the lateral stress on the bed is more like 2000 lbs
                  Spot on post right there.

Proceed with caution.

Comment

I've never felt comfortable with the thought of riding up in one of those. Center of gravity is changed quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      That is true but when authorized dealers sale them and use them on display ( in this case) and advertisement it’s misleading to the consumer. When internal emails acknowledge the sales and problem instead of having their authorize dealers stop promoting and using they swept it under the table and placed 100% blame on dealers. But that’s not the point justwanting to remind people of the dangers and solutions

Comment

I added a simple angle iron bracket to both sides of mine with pins. Makes it safe for the high rack, and easy to just pull the pins to tilt the bed.

Comment

Also remember you have a high rack on when you are stealing gas out of someone’s fuel tank, we had a guy break the hose bung off and spill 500 gallon of gas after he forgot about his high rack when getting a free fill up

Cost him the 500 gallon, a septic tank pump out, and then a drive of shame out the front gate with travel trailer in tow
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-01-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X