No announcement yet.

Pasture weed control recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using Patriot the last couple of years. Its a slow kill but it has worked well for me spraying this time of year. It does kill Bahia though. You don't need a license and its the cheapest way to go that I have found. I get it at the local coop its less than 60 dollars for 16oz. In most cases you use less that a ounce per acre.

Comment

Originally posted by BCHUNTER View Post
      I have been using Patriot the last couple of years. Its a slow kill but it has worked well for me spraying this time of year. It does kill Bahia though. You don't need a license and its the cheapest way to go that I have found. I get it at the local coop its less than 60 dollars for 16oz. In most cases you use less that a ounce per acre.
      Patriot is good. It is metaslufuron methyl (MSM), and will get after the Bahia for sure.

I have been mixing MSM with 24D & Dicamba. (<<requires liscense) You can get 24D & Dicamba pre mixed in a product labeled "Range Star". I add the MSM in with RangeStar to help control the sedge, palmettos, & Bahia.

I have never sprayed straight MSM, but have been considering trying it.

I don't spray in the spring because I have clover, and around here it usually lasts into May.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbone3636 View Post
        No specific weeds... just general weed control and briars. I have about 70 acres to spray. I will spray it myself. Are either of those bad for trees as well? I have a lot of oaks I’ll be spraying around that have briars at their bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Ok. Neither will harm trees. So do you have an applicators license?

Are you talking about greenbriars or dewberry/ blackberry briars? Cimmeron / Plotter at .5 - 1 oz/ acre will kill the latter but only knock back the greenbriars. (Plotter is much cheaper. It is the generic of Cimmeron. Patriot is probably the generic as well. Both contain MSM.)

Chaparral will take care of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Ok. Neither will harm trees. So do you have an applicators license?

Are you talking about greenbriars or dewberry/ blackberry briars? Cimmeron / Plotter at .5 - 1 oz/ acre will kill the latter but only knock back the greenbriars. (Plotter is much cheaper. It is the generic of Cimmeron. Patriot is probably the generic as well. Both contain MSM.)

Chaparral will take care of both.
          Right on....Cimmaron, Patriot, MSM60.......all are metasulfuron methyl (msm).

Dupont came out with Cimmaron MAX several years ago, which is 24d+dicamba+msm. At a high rate, it will kill palmettos. I have pretty much eradicated them on our property of the past 8 years. it's expensive though, and can be generically mixed much cheaper using range star & patriot.

FYI, the MSM is a granular. Liquify in an empty jug prior to putting into your spray tank, and always triple rinse your containers back into your spray tank, before disposing of them.

Comment

Grazon Next HL works wonders in a weedy pasture. I don't have an applicators license and buy it all the time.

Comment

Turn few head of goats out for a week and you will fix any broadleaf issues. They will mow the weeds down.

Comment

I'm going to try Brash by Winfield. It's a 24d with dicamba. 2 pints to the acre will be about 7 dollars an acre, plus surfactant

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
                  I think the best way to control briars is shred them and hand spray the stems. I have briars also and Grazon P+D won't kill them with regular application rate of 1 1/2 pint per acre. I have to go back and spray them again with a spot sprayer.
                  The extension agent told me they tested remedy and milestone mixed and it flat smoked greenbriar, even when they sprayed it while dormant.

Also new herbicide for cactus called mezavue that has will kill them in half the time of the old picloram way.

Comment

Remedy is the only thing we've had luck with on briers. And its best to spray them right after shredding.

And, as mentioned before, make sure you don't spray desirable trees or under their dripline.
                    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's the latest article on Dewberries and Blackberries. Remember - timing is everything.

They recommend this:
                      Select Herbicide Options:

Chaparral (will kill bahiagrass)

Cimarron Plus (will kill bahiagrass)

RemedyUltra

Pasturegard HL

Surmount

Note that Pasturegard HL, RemedyUltra and Surmount may be less effective if mowing has occurred within a year prior to treatment for either species.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                        The extension agent told me they tested remedy and milestone mixed and it flat smoked greenbriar, even when they sprayed it while dormant.

Also new herbicide for cactus called mezavue that has will kill them in half the time of the old picloram way.

At what rate was it suggested to mix in a spot sprayer? Definitely willing to try it if it keeps me from shredding first.

Comment

Man that’s a lot of acres unless you already have a pretty big boom sprayer. I’d go down to the local co-op and have them come spray it. They can probably even help recommend what to spray.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                            Man that’s a lot of acres unless you already have a pretty big boom sprayer. I’d go down to the local co-op and have them come spray it. They can probably even help recommend what to spray.

You can rent spray rigs from most stores and come out a little cheaper then having them spray also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This works

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                              A broadcast spray application of a broadleaf weed selective herbicide will control weeds and not harm grasses. I use a Fimco tank sprayer with a boom on the back of a 4 wheeler. The best time to apply herbicides is spring to early summer when weeds are 2”-4” tall.

I’m assuming you’ll need to use a product that can be purchased without an Applicators License. If that’s the case I would suggest Pasturegard HL (1-3 pints per acre) or Pasturall HL (1-1.5 pints per acre). I would also recommend using a good surfactant like LI 700 at, somewhere around 32 oz. per 100 gallons of tank mix to help the herbicide stick to the broadleaf weeds better.

Be careful around desirable trees when applying the herbicide, as it will kill any smalls trees if it comes into contact with their canopy and could damage any larger trees if you spray under their drip line.
                              We spray select areas on 200 acres with a 40 gal sprayer in the back of our JD Gater

Comment

get you a few goats. No weeds in no time at all

Comment

Working...
                                X