The perfect deer burger at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The perfect deer burger at home

I've dabbled with home processing off and on over the last 15 years or so. I've made quite a bit of burger and most of it has been edible, but this is the first time where it came out perfect and I got the wife's enthusiastic stamp of approval.

My wife wouldn't eat deer meat when I first met her and now she's always encouraging me to "kill another one, kill another one". [emoji16]

I know most of the people on here make deer burger, so you can skip this recipe if you're happy with yours.

After talking to several co-workers that I went hunting with this week, none of them really knew how to make deer burger.

So this is for the new guys.

I had approximately 20 lb of deboned meat in the freezer. I would say it was about 96% clean as far as fat, sinew, and silverskin.

I called HEB this morning and talk to a butcher and ask him if he could save me some beef fat. I got 15 lb but I really only needed five for this batch. he said it should really be great for sausage or Burger since it came off of prime ribs!

I used an 80% venison to 25% beef fat ratio.

So for my batch it was 20 lb of venison to 5 lb of fat. I know a lot of people use 80/20 but we mainly use ours for traditional burgers on the grill so this is perfect for us.

I put the fat in the freezer when I got home so that would be almost frozen solid. The deboned venison was already thawing out. I've always screwed up in the past and used thawed venison that was soft and mushy. Never again. I had to break this stuff apart with a lot of work and actually thought it was too frozen for my grinder... but the LEM Big Bite #12 handled it like a champ.

This stuff ground beautifully and looked just like store-bought.

The first thing I did was cut up the fat into grinder size pieces and run it through the grinder on the big plate (3/8 coarse grind).

I didn't want to mix all 25 lb at one time, so as I ran about 5 lb of meat through the grinder on the coarse plate, I would stop and hand mix everything for a couple minutes.

eventually I had a large tub with 20 lb of Venison and 5 lb of fat very thoroughly mixed with the coarse grind.

At that point we took out about 4 lb (chili grind) and vacuum sealed it.

Then I switched out tubs and ran everything through on the fine plate. (3/16" fine grind).

Everything looked great and was still very cold.

At that point my wife took over with the vacuum sealer and made one and a half pound bags of burger.

Everything was vacuum sealed and marked. I washed out a tub and put all of the meat back into the tub and stuck it in our new upright freezer to keep everything organized.

Why do I say it was the perfect deer burger? I took out a big handful and made a nice patty. Fried it up in a cast iron skillet with some of my favorite Mark's seasoning from HEB.

Put it on a toasted bun with some shredded cheddar cheese and shared it with the wife. After the first bite we were both smiling.

Finally, the perfect deer burger!

Last edited by Chew; 12-19-2020, 06:11 PM.

Looks great. I use the same fat from heb.

Comment

LooKin GOOD ....Maybe you on to something! Ihx for share

Comment

That’s my favorite part of the deer!

Comment

That is some great looking burger meat !! Here trolling for more things to make with my venison, but so much we already make that is soooo good. Burger is ONE thing I have to step-up my game on, for sure. Will be trying this. My Daughter was the same way with venison, wasn't wanting to even TRY it. But was addicted shortly thereafter. Always said she never even wanted to see me with a dead deer, but she sho will eat the junk, hahaha. Truly Gods meat, so versatile. Taco meat, chili, sloppy joes, stirfry for Asian dishes, fajita meat, roasts, grilled steaks and on and on........

Love it, "kill another one, kill another one"......that's a keeper...

Comment

And does HEB just give the fat to ya ??? just wondering

Comment

For the fat what I do is buy the boxes of bacon end piece, just lumps of fat and some meat, grind it up and mix it with my ground deermeat, use the same ratio 80/20, it also takes any gamey taste , there you go bacon/venison burger, I used to do the same with buffalo, I used to shot a “ buffalo” every year and make buffalo jerky using ground meat, shot them in the winter, that way you get a nice rug,,bleach out the skull and save the bones for knive handles, I used the bleached out rib bones and made back scratches out them. Getting ready to starting back up, I,ve had my jerky sent round the world to kids in the military, it does cost more for the bacon pieces but I think it,s worth it. It used to be really cheap but cost a little more as does everything else. When making your hamburgers you can also mix in some ground cheese

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                And does HEB just give the fat to ya ??? just wondering
                It was around a $1.00 a pound. Well worth it.

Comment

I've tried the bacon ends and pieces, ground brisket, pork fat, etc. Nothing tastes as good as this burger today

Comment

looks good

Comment

Thanks for sharing, gonna try this as I need to step up my game on burgers and bison bone back scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        I've tried the bacon ends and pieces, ground brisket, pork fat, etc. Nothing tastes as good as this burger today
                        Same here.....just wasn't what I was looking for flavor-wise.....

Comment

I bought a 15 pound brisket and ground the whole thing with 40 pounds of axis.... YUMMY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yessir! I've always bought beef trimmings from the grocery store to make deer burger. 80/20 just doesn't seem to hold together to make hamburger patties. They usually fall apart while cooking. I switched to 75/25 this year when I processed for a friend. Haven't tried to make patties with it, but I'm betting it's going to hold together.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                              Thanks for sharing, gonna try this as I need to step up my game on burgers and bison bone back scratches.
                              ...Hahahhaa.....I lol'd at this.....

Comment

Working...
                              X