Reverse Sear Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Steak

Been cooking steak this way for a while. It’s by far the easiest most foolproof way I’ve found to cook a steak just right every single time.

Step 1) Go get yourself a steak or your choice, the thicker the better. I usually prefer a ribeye but went with a 1-3/4” thick Prime NY Strip.

Step 2) Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle all sides with a healthy dose of salt. Let sit to begin to warm towards room temperature.

Step 3) Warm oven to 200 and place steak with temperature probe in oven.

Step 4) Bake steak until temperature is 15 degrees shy of your preferred finished temp. I pull mine out at 105. This took around 45 minutes for a 20oz steak 1-3/4” thick.

Step 5) As steak begins to close in your the pull temperature get your grill, fire, or cast iron skillet screamin hot.

Step 6) Sear for 1 minute of each side

Step 7) Remove from heat, crack some fresh black pepper over the top and a slice a few pats of butter over the top and allow the steak to rest and melt the butter. Let rest for 5-10 minutes and then dig in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was skeptical at first but now I love it. It is a great way to get a thick steak perfect medium rare from edge to edge and crusty on the outside.

Comment

Same idea as sous vide, just with a higher temp and a lower heat transfer coefficient. The thicker the steak the better.

I use a similiar method for prime rib, except once I pull it from the oven, I set it to 500F, and return it for 15 minutes.

Comment

Sous vide at 129 for 2 hrs then finish.

Comment

Sounds/looks great!

But why not just a hot grill, a lil Tony Chacheres and/or Daddy Hinkles with steak near room temp, and *2 beers per side (4-5 min) ? Works everytime! *(3 beers per side if 1st beers of day-They tend to go down faster).

I'm too hungry to wait an hr for a steak, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
            But why not just a hot grill, a lil Tony Chacheres and/or Daddy Hinkles with steak near room temp, and *2 beers per side (4-5 min) ? Works everytime! *(3 beers per side if 1st beers of day-They tend to go down faster).

I'm too hungry to wait an hr for a steak, lol.
            Because some people want to cook 2" thick steaks that are medium rare from edge to edge:

Also, I'm not judging, but if you're drinking 4-5 beers in 10 minutes, you might have a drinking problem.

Comment

Nicely done! this is how we cook our steaks.

Comment

Came out perfect [emoji108]

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Thanks for posting this -- I'm going to try it!

Comment

gonna practice this before christmas eve dinner

Comment

And now I want steak for dinner

Comment

My go to for steaks as well. Only difference is I let mine rest between the smoke and the sear so I can cut into it fresh off the grill.

Comment

Tag for later

Comment

Reverse Sear Steak

Easily the best way for very thick cuts. Fights have started over reverse seared tomahawk ribeyes.

I think I’m gonna sell my sous vide machine....you just can’t get the same flavor in them that way.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-15-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X