X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meloniting a barrel - Houston Unlimited

Any anyone had HU do a barrel?
    What was the cost?
    I've heard it's cheaper to have multiple done..?
    Any info appreciated

I had a 1911 done at Houston plating in QPQ. I don't think there is much difference. They did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman AB View Post
      I had a 1911 done at Houston plating in QPQ. I don't think there is much difference. They did a great job.
      Charge by the lb or the piece?
      How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

I cant really remember how they charged me. I had every piece on that gun done except my barrel which is stainless and the springs and firing pin. I had about 15-18 pieces I even did the grip screws. I think I paid about 150.00 bucks. I'm planning on taking a TC Compass to them soon and having it completely done. Just need to take it apart first.

Comment

Houston plating has a $150 min lot charge. If I remember right its about $2/lb for QPQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman AB View Post
            I cant really remember how they charged me. I had every piece on that gun done except my barrel which is stainless and the springs and firing pin. I had about 15-18 pieces I even did the grip screws. I think I paid about 150.00 bucks. I'm planning on taking a TC Compass to them soon and having it completely done. Just need to take it apart first.
            Are you going to have the barrel done also?
            Are you concerned about the heat of the process changing the barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
              Are you going to have the barrel done also?
              Are you concerned about the heat of the process changing the barrel?
              Yes I am. I’m not concerned with it. They do barrels all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                Houston plating has a $150 min lot charge. If I remember right its about $2/lb for QPQ.
                Appreciate it

Comment

If you would, please let me know if you have any shift of impact before and after.
                  Thank you.
                  I had spoke with them several years ago about doing a barrel and was told that they couldn't be sure if anything would change or not.
                  It really sounds like a great process!

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                    If you would, please let me know if you have any shift of impact before and after.
                    Thank you.
                    I had spoke with them several years ago about doing a barrel and was told that they couldn't be sure if anything would change or not.
                    It really sounds like a great process!
                    Have no way to know.
                    Have a couple that came melonited, and I love em.
                    Barrel is brand new, and I'm lapping it now, getting it ready.
                    Won't actually shoot it until I get it back.

Comment

that's fine. I think they have done some for Ruger.

Comment

Working...
                      X