My Biggest Whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Biggest Whitetail

I’ve been wanting to write this for as long as I can remember. My grandfather and father introduced me to whitetail hunting early in my life. Some of my earliest and fondest memories include deer camp with my dad, grandfather, brother and grandpa’s hunting buddies. I’ve hunted almost every season for the last 30 years. Been on some wonderful leases and awesome invited hunts. I’ve killed a bunch of deer, but the big, mature low fence, fair chase buck has awaits eluded me. Early on, a 150” deer became my goal.

Backtrack to 2 years ago...I was without a lease again. A good buddy called me out of the blue and said they had an unexpected opening on their ranch in Kimble County and asked if I was interested. I immediately jumped at the chance...2600 acres of prime hill country. Robust protein and corn feeding regiment and management minded hunters. I passed several good deer last year and my son ended up harvesting a solid management 9 point.

This year, I was pumped. Good deer on camera at the protein feeders. It was awesome to watch some on the bucks we had been watching blow up as the summer went on. Needless to say, I was excited.

Fast forward to Friday evening...my son Ty and I were in the stand around 3:45. Almost immediately we were covered up in deer. Watched a young 8 chasing does. Ty gets my attention and points out 6 does had arrived at the back feeder in anticipation of the coming buffet. Looked back and the 8 point and then glanced back as a big buck exploded out of the junipers, head down after a hit doe. Binoculars immediately went up and I told Ty, “shooter buck!” He paused and I was able to get a good look. Rifle went up and he paused again, head down. My APR 6.5 PRC barked and he never took a step.

The buck fever started and Ty and I hugged and fist bumped. As I walked up to him, he got better and better. Tine length and mass were more than I initially thought. Character for days. Memories from seasons past, my grandpa and dad came flooding back. I’m humbled and blessed to take such a deer and to share this hunt with my son.

He scored 147 and some change, but he’s absolutely a trophy to me. Thanks for reading!
    Attached Files

Pretty deer. Congrats.

Comment

Very nice !

Comment

Very nice!!!!. Congrats on getting your personal best.

Comment

Very nice, congrats!

Comment

Nice deer, those 3's are really cool. Congrats !!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Your best buck is always a trophy!! Glad you are able to spend quality time with your son.

Comment

That's awesome, congrats!

Comment

Beautiful buck and great story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Very nice, congrats!

Comment

Very nice! And a great memory to boot!

Comment

Great deer! I love those ones with big G3's!!!

Comment

Awesome kill and thanks for the read.
                              Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X