Cleaning ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning ammo

I know this might sound like a funny question but my Father in law asked me how he should clean his very old ammo. I didnt see any of it but he said it was tarnished from 40 years sitting in his closet. Said he has about a 1000 rounds of 45 cal.

Is there a way to do this in bulk or is it even necessary?
    I told him to not worry about it.

Some people say you can't tumble loaded ammo. But ammunition companies do. I don't believe it will cause any harm. I'd do it in a barrel type rotary tumbler and not a vibratory one.

Comment

Personally I would not!!! but if i did it would do it in tumbler with walnut/hickory/pecan hulls...JM2C

Comment

I’ve done it in a vibratory tumbler with walnut hulls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I’ve done it in a vibratory tumbler with walnut hulls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
          I wouldn’t be scared of this. I don’t see any way a primer could receive a hard enough whack to set it off.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. We thought about a tumbler but were worried about the primers. I figured they would take a lot more impact than a tumbler would cause.

Comment

As long as it’s not rimfire, I think you’d be good.

Comment

It’s not about the primers. It’s about changing the composition of the powder affecting the burn rate. At least that’s what the theory was/is.

Comment

I’ve tumbled loaded cartridges in corn cob media in a vibratory tumbler for years with no issues

Comment

Toss it in the tumbler. I have done it many times and it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      It’s not about the primers. It’s about changing the composition of the powder affecting the burn rate. At least that’s what the theory was/is.
                      This is my understanding also. The granules are rubbing the coating off or sanding down the granule itself changing the burn qualities. Might be fine 100 times but next time you use a different powder or leave in the tumbler longer than usual and breakdown more of the powder and you get an unexpected over pressure.

Comment

Working...
                      X