No announcement yet.

Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel a .243 is like a right of passage in Texas hunting. I have hunted with one for years, even as an adult. Then again there are so many good choices with 7mm-08, 6 creed, 6.5 variants, nowadays you really can’t go wrong. Don’t rule out a 22-250, maybe not perfect for everything, but something that the whole family will enjoy.

Comment

Much like Simek, I started H off with a Ruger American bolt action .17 HMR and he graduated to a Ruger American Ranch .300 AAC shooting .110 Barnes Tac-Tx rounds. Since then I got him one of the Ruger American Magpul Hunters in 6.5 creedmoor shooting 135 grain Berger hollow points. He's killed with all of them.

If I had it all to do over. I would go with the 7-08 shooting reduced recoil loads which actually kicks less than a .243. and your shooting a larger bullet with a little more punch.

Comment

I have one son that shot his first with a 22-250 and one that used a 6.5 creedmoor. .243 is just boring in my opinion. TYHP hunts require a minimum of .243 so there's that. The one boy who used the 22-250 used a 308 weatherby vanguard on all his other critters with no problem, and I've seen alot of youth's use 308. I would take it into consideration. 7mm-08 would be my choice.(cause I don't own one yet

And my youngest son, if we get a chance, will use the creedmoor or the new 223 I just bought(though my ammo is very limited). So probably the creedmoor.
        Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 11-25-2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

The 6.5 is a Savage Axis Heavy Barrel in Camo, and it shoot ridiculously well, and I'm no savage fan. Literally 3 bullets touching at 100 yards. And that particular rifle seems to fit youth particularly well.

Comment

6.5 cm all the way

I bought a cheap tc compass a couple years ago, dropped it in a Boyd’s thumb hole stock and my daughter loves it. I love it too, so much that I’m going to buy another one on sale cause we fight over it
            They are crazy accurate and I have my suppressed. Every single Animal we have shot has been recovered.
            I know people will holler fan boy but I love the round. Low recoil, accurate and the hornady eldx 143g is a flat out killer

Both my kids started with a .243 and it worked great but the 6.5 just gives you more fire power
            If you go .243 the hornady lite rounds are devastating

Only problem with every caliber is AMMO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like the 22-250 with partition ammo. I also picked up a 7-08 last year and have been surprised at the light recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My oldest is 12 now and has had a Browning 7mm08 for a few years and never complains. My 10yo has a savage axis 6.5creed and just killed his first good buck with it.

Either of these are great for kids or women.

Comment

I’m not a fan of 243s. In the right hands they are fine but every deer I’ve shot has ran. None of the deer barely left a blood trail. I prefer the 7-08 or 30-30 for decent blood trails. I’ve never shot the Creed, so I can’t say.

Comment

All good thoughts, guys. Keep them coming. They’ve been shooting a 223 and they are both ready to move up. I’m leaning towards a Savage Axis or Ruger American.

Comment

25-06

Comment

My daughter is 11 and I bought her a 7mm-08 and used the reduced recoil loads from Hornady. I looked at it from the long term, a .243 will only be a deer and varmint rifle. I figured the 7mm-08 would be good up to elk if she ever wanted to do that when she got older.

She shot two does this year and dropped them both in their tracks, DRT!
                        Last edited by JES; 11-25-2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

6.5 grendel, 7mm08, 250 savage if you could find one, 22-250,

Comment

My son is currently shooting a 6.5 Grendel. I recently picked up a Bergara 308 Ridge and put a Boyd's At One adjustable stock on it. I have had him shoot it off the bench suppressed and he seems to be doing well with that. He seemed to show interest in using the 308 bolt action over the AR in 6.5 Grendel. Plus I think it will give me a wider range of ammo if it ever comes available again!

Comment

Bought my 10 yo son the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .243 last year. That thing is an absolute tack driver. Bought my 12 yo daughter a Weatherby compact model in 7-08 and it’s equally as impressive. My son didn’t care for the recoil on the 7-08, he’s a bit of a momma’s boy...[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                                25-06
                                Amen!
                                I was going to let it go without sharing my thoughts, but saw yours and will pile on.
                                My 15 year old has been laying deer down with 25.06 since he was 7.
                                It doesn't kick any more than a .243 and is going to knock them down 10x these smaller calibers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X