Clothing Layers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothing Layers

I'm just curious as to what everyone is wearing on these cold hunting days. I've tried multiple brands of base layers but never seem to be happy with with way they fit throughout the day.

Down to around 40 I wear merino base layers and polar fleece with wind blocker

Colder I will start adding a mid layer of fleece

Real cold with precipitation and wind the heavy weight outer layers that have goretex come out
    I hunted a tree stand in Kansas in 20deg temps, 20mph wind and light snow and stayed pretty warm

Just make sure you can draw your bow or shoulder your rifle prior to going out

Comment

Academy brand compression base layer (BCG I think)

Merino wool socks

Scent lock pants

Under armor storm 1 hoodie

Safety harness

Scent locker jacket

Cabelas hand muff

This will easily get me comfortable for all day in the 30’s

I’ll add fleece pants at the tree if needed into low 20’s

Typically do all my walking with just hoodie. Overdressing and sweating does more harm than not enough clothes

Muck wetlands

Comment

I second the not putting all of your layers on prior to a long walk to stand

Comment

FirstLite kiln pants under catalyst outer.
          Fuse long sleeve, Klamath quarter zip then catalyst outer. Good wool socks from Costco and I'm good from freezing til sunup.

Stay dry.

Comment

If I am sitting in a blind I wear heavy under armor base layers, thick insulating layer and a big coat. I also use a buddy heater when I can. If I am moving I wear Merino base layers and a fleece. I also have a shell but rarely use it when moving unless it is wet

Comment

Spend the money on a great base layer... makes all the difference in the world. Cabelas Wooltimate w/windshear is a huge bang for your buck as an outer layer. Rarely need a mid layer with this combination. I also like the thermocell heated insoles. They keep a constant 72 degrees or so at all times

Comment

First Lite 150, 250, 350 weight merino top and bottoms. (Wick, Kiln, Furnace) I will wear 1, 2 or 3 in any combination. Depends on weather. Nothing but pants and a jacket on over it. Zero bulk and plenty flexible and I haven’t been cold yet. A good thick beanie can make all the difference in the world. Can’t let that heat escape from your noggin.

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
                  Spend the money on a great base layer... makes all the difference in the world. Cabelas Wooltimate w/windshear is a huge bang for your buck as an outer layer. Rarely need a mid layer with this combination. I also like the thermocell heated insoles. They keep a constant 72 degrees or so at all times
                  Pretty spot on here, especially for Texas hunts. I like this combo when there is a minimal temperature change all day. If it’s sunny and warms up quick after sunrise, I will do a medium base layer, mid weight Sitka hoodie and then a tough wind proof/ waterproof soft shell outer layer. Long sits are more comfortable that way. Quality clothing makes a huge difference. The big names are pricey but the lightweight warmth and breathability are more than worth it.

For my feet, toe warmers usually do the trick.

Comment

I have also found that a good neck gaiter can make a world of difference

Comment

Merino wool base layers. Synthetic pull over and jacket. Maybe a puffy if it’s really cold. Covering up the neck and ears makes a big difference too.

Comment

If you have time to listen Kifarucast on iTunes, the June 26 2018 episode titled "Cold weather gear with John Barklow," the product manager at Sitka. They opened my eyes to a whole new thought process of layering for cold weather and how important Actively Rewarming is, especially when cold and wet. Very interesting information to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                          First Lite 150, 250, 350 weight merino top and bottoms. (Wick, Kiln, Furnace) I will wear 1, 2 or 3 in any combination. Depends on weather. Nothing but pants and a jacket on over it. Zero bulk and plenty flexible and I haven’t been cold yet. A good thick beanie can make all the difference in the world. Can’t let that heat escape from your noggin.
                          This.

Comment

I wear the compression layer and wicking socks then put an adhesive body warmer in the center of my body just below my chest and one on each thigh. Then thermals, another layer, another layer then my outer layer ( two more socks... usually wool ,jacket, gloves,headgear...whatever). MMMMMMMM toasty!

Comment

Add a little buddy heater.

Comment

Working...
                              X