Helical fetching????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helical fetching????

I have been shooting straight fetching with mechanical broad heads for 20 years now. Going to Africa this summer and am switching to thunderhead 100's. That way my wife,son,and myself will shoot the same broad head on this hunt. So the question is do I need to or should I get helical fletched arrows?? Have to get new arrows anyway. Shooting a drop away rest. Thanks in advance for your advice.

yes

Comment

Helical will definitely help stabilize fixed heads. That being said you can shoot off set or straight fletched as long as your bow is well tuned.

Comment

i'm a big fan of helical. when an arrow has lower foc it needs more fletching, most set-ups fall into the low category and benefit from the addition of helical fletching. if you shoot high foc (15%+) you can get away with a little less fletching and may not need it. it really helps tighten up longer range groups but gains from it really depend on your arrow set-up.

Comment

If you buy prefletched arrows, most of them are straight with an offset. It is easier and fasterfor the machines to build them that way. If you wanted more helical, it would be best to buy bare shafts and do it yourself.

Either will work just fine from any set up.

Comment

When it comes to helical, IMO the more the better--what's a few FPS when the arrow hits right where you are aiming?

Comment

Look at RamCat! I know you are talking about helical but the front of the head makes them the quietest best flighing broadheads ever! Quick spin and helical style setups have only made my arrow barrel roll and extremely loud during flight with no help in broadhead flight. I have been shooting mechanical heads for 12 years until last week. I'm writing a review ASAP. My only concern was the blades but they never broke just bent, which is okay with me. Only bent on the 200 lb hog opposite shoulder not the several deer we shot.

Comment

helical all the way

Comment

Shoot helical with a fixed head. It just simply works better. And you picked an excellent broad head.

Comment

I've been shooting straight fletched arrows with fixed blades with no problems for years, but helical sounds interesting, especially for longer range. any down sides?
                    i'm kind of thinking "if it ain't broke," but I always need to buy more stuff.
                    i like having everything the same, but don't really want to jump into replacing a bunch of perfectly good arrows.
                    would it be bad to mix a handful of helicals into my quiver?

Comment

Arizona EZ fletch makes a jig that will put a good helical on therer for ya..if u fletch ur own ..git some blazer vanes & go to town... as far as mixing on ur quiver, test drive is the only way to find out..

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        I've been shooting straight fletched arrows with fixed blades with no problems for years, but helical sounds interesting, especially for longer range. any down sides?
                        i'm kind of thinking "if it ain't broke," but I always need to buy more stuff.
                        i like having everything the same, but don't really want to jump into replacing a bunch of perfectly good arrows.
                        would it be bad to mix a handful of helicals into my quiver?
                        You will be astounded at the difference aggressive helical makes in BH flight.
                        If you've been getting good BH flight with truly straight fletching, you would be in the minority. Offset fletching steers BH pretty good, but again, an aggressive helical steers BH so much better.
                        More correction from fletching equates to more forgiveness.
                        Arizone EZ Fletch Mini for Blazers.

Comment

I just took my shafts to get helical fletchings put on and the store owner was telling me that an aggressive helical makes a considerable amount of noise (whistling) compared to straight.. He talked me into getting a light/moderate helical over a heavy one done..

You guys that have had this done, what can you say about the noise level?

Comment

Animals will hear the noise of the bow before they will hear the arrow noise.

Comment

I refletched half a dozen arrows last year with blazers and a right helical, and the difference between them and the straight fletched was noticeable with a broad head when I got past 30 yards. I too shoot Thunderhead 100s, and they held tighter with the helical. I didn't notice much difference in sound. The QAD rest made more noise than the arrows did.

Comment

Working...
                              X