Question about sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about sights

What is the difference between my cheap 5 pin truglo sight and an expensive spot hog sight for example? Is their really that big of a difference? I have never used anything except a cheaper sight.

Lot more durable!!! Probably can get pins closer together also.

Comment

Following! I have been contemplating upgrading myself.

My cheap sights work great for me other than They don't travel well. I have to tweak them fairly often.

Comment

I should have learned by now not to comment on things like this, but here goes anyway .....

I've tried sights in most of the price points (including some of the electronic jobs with assorted reticles). Other than personal preference, the main advantage I've seen with the more expensive models is that they are easier to adjust. Some have no tool adjustments, which is neat. Some gather light better than others, but some of the more inexpensive models I've had were better at it than the more expensive models. On my pig bow I've got an old three pin something or other that works just fine. I do shoot over a feeder light and have a light on the sight. On my everything else bow I've got a 5 pin Truglo with variable sized pins and no tool adjustments. Don't remember what it cost, but was over a hundred. To be honest, other than the east of adjustment, the cheap 5 pin that came on it did just as well. Can't address long range shooting as I limit myself to 50 yds. for practice and 30 for hunting.

Comment

Go to a store and pick up a Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg-it and you can see and feel the diff. IMO a HHA is the only way to go for hunting.....One pin see more of target ....

Comment

if u drop a well built high end sight, it shouldn't break or come loose.. if you go high end on a sight, you can use it for yrs & resell it if needed...spott hogg real deal w wrap...good folks @ spott hogg, they will hook u up..

Comment

Is their really that big of a difference?
              Yes.

Is there a difference between a 1972 and a 2013 F150? They will both get you down the road. If you cannot hold both sights in your hand and tell the difference they I recommend you buy the cheap sight. I can't speak for Spot Hogg but Black Gold offers a unconditional guarantee. if you break it, they will replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by rg2 View Post
                if u drop a well built high end sight, it shouldn't break or come loose.. if you go high end on a sight, you can use it for yrs & resell it if needed...spott hogg real deal w wrap...good folks @ spott hogg, they will hook u up..
                Ive had a spott hogg real deal wrapped for 4 years now. I cant speak for most other sights, but you get what you pay for in a spott hogg. Dont plan on changing mine anytime soon.

Comment

I got to thinking about this post after I left for work this morning and wanted to add to my comments previously made.

It cost me about $150 each time I go to the deer lease in gas alone. Some guys pay more, some less. Looks like you hunt fairly close to home so your cost per trip might be minimum. More important that the cost per hunt is I have limited time off work to hunt. My hunting time becomes very valuable to me.

That being said, any piece of equipment is only as strong as its weakest link. In the case of a bow, the two weakest links are most likely the arrow rest and the sight. Both are exposed to potential damage from carrying the bow around three limbs, brush, etc.
                  To best protect my investment of gas and time off, I insist on only using equipment that is as bulletproof as I can get. That means buying the best equipment I can afford, including bow, arrows, broad heads, rests, and sights. I may not be able to afford the most expensive, but I want the best for the money.

The difference in cost of a cheap sight and a very good sight is not a month’s pay; it is a hundred bucks, give or take a little. The cost of losing a weekend of hunting is, as they say, priceless. It is far too easy to have a vine loop around your sight pins and snap off while walking through the thick stuff on your way to the bind. This past season I had a rope break causing my bow to drop about 10 feet to the ground, poked a broad head through the quiver cover but did not damage anything else. If that happens you, you may well loose a $50 bet on that cheap sight. You are going to have to spend another $50 and still have a less than quality sight on your bow.

In over 30 years of fishing and hunting, I have NEVER regretted buying high-end gear; I have thrown away tons of cheap stuff on my way out the door to buy stuff that works.

Comment

double post, sorry

Comment

I've been bowhunting 33yrs and 2yrs ago I spent $200 on a Black Gold sight. Dont regret it one bit one of the best decisions I've made! You can tell the difference! Everything is built tight and solid(instead of loose and noisy)and seems like it and the pins could take impact without bending or breaking.

Comment

my 18mo old picked my rush up by my sight the other day, stuck his hands in the sight guard and all that. wasn't worried its a hogg, no questions asked lifetime warranty!

Comment

Working...
                        X