Texas ASA Federation Qualifier at Cinnamon Creek Ranch on January 28-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kennyelp View Post
    I had no problems with the scoring rings just with target # 6 on the pins course the way the red stake was placed it was like a DEERMAN shoot. By the way I hit the tree and so did the shooter right after me, still it was a great shoot, Thanks to CCR for all their hard work.
    Again. I respectfully disagree that we had any shots that looked like a Deerman shoot. Tracy, along with the CCR guys set the Zoo. She stood at every stake to make sure the shots were clear. If a branch was inadvertantly moved by a shooter it should have been brought to the attention of a range official before the shot. Or if it was a close shot next to a tree you must be very aware of which side of the stake you place your feet.

For example....At the 2007 ASA state championship shoot in Irving we had a sidehill shot on a standing bear. There was a big limb (6" diameter) angling out in front but above the scoring rings. The guys at Irving wanted me to look at the shot and approve or dis-approve the shot. I told them it was a great shot. Lets go with it. When I got to this target during my competition round I did not pay attention and I stood on the high side of the stake on the sloping ground. Between my height and me choosing to stand on the high side of the stake I hit the limb, my arrow exploded, and my state shoot was ruined. I did not pay attention to details and I paid dearly. I was "up" when this happened. I ended up 3rd from last.

Comment

Overall a great shoot. Wait times grew in the Zoo at the multi target turns, but with that many shooters, it was not unacceptable (Considered poaching a chair a few times from shooters at their stakes!). Our group however did run into a target that the vitals were obstructed by a tree after what appeared to be an inadvertent re-set by a previous group that might have moved the target upon retrieving arrows. We shot it, questioned it, got a ruling and the target was moved back to it's original location. No fuss, we motored on. I was impressed at how everything functioned with the amount of people in attendance Sunday. Looking forward to the rest of the year!

Comment

the idea of debris is to not obstruct the kill zone.. if the kill zone is wide open but other parts of the animal are covered.. it's legal and in the rules.

Comment

I didn't know any different since it was my first shoot. I now know what to expect. It was a great setup in the zoo. No obstructions at all.

Comment

IMO #6 was a tough shot but it could still be made,me being a right hand shooter I had to put my right foot aganist the stake and step to the left with my other one the entire 10 ring was visible.Did I want to challenge the 12 ring with the tree being only a few inches away or so it seemed, No way. I had to lead off so I decided to shoot at the low 12 where it was safer, got a solid 10 and the rest of my group followed suit and they all got 10s as well.Glad to see some shots that make you think what you need to do before you shoot.If you want to compete you have to know when to shoot safe and when to go for it, and this was one of them times.

Comment

we finished on #6, 38.5 yard deer as i recall, shot a 12 and was one of the better shots i made, had fun shooting pins just made a couple bad shots keeping me out of the mid 90's,next time.

Comment

Nice job Mike and Tracy...cheers!
                Fred

Comment

Great job! First one I've shot and had a great time.. Could have used some more time behind my bow before I shot it but what great practice!

Thanks to CCR for hosting!

Comment

Originally posted by Leftridge View Post
                    Great job! First one I've shot and had a great time.. Could have used some more time behind my bow before I shot it but what great practice!

Thanks to CCR for hosting!
                    Glad you liked it, look me up at the next one.

Comment

Working...
                    X