• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

age only

I wanted to see what yalls thought on the age of this buck. Bastrop county

Thanks
    Attached Files

He’s no larger than the does. I’m going with a supper 2 1/2 year old.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        He’s no larger than the does. I’m going with a supper 2 1/2 year old.
        My thought as well

Comment

Comment

I wish he would give me a better picture in the day time. Flat back, big gut, good size breast.... I myself put him at 3.5-4.5!! Coming here first before i send to the biologist about getting pass card on culling him out. We don't need that width breeding out here on a 13" rule. If yall think he is young enough I'll let him slide. Don't really care what he scores now, just want to manage the heard!

Comment

Comment

3.5 next year

Comment

Originally posted by bartosh317 View Post
                  I wish he would give me a better picture in the day time. Flat back, big gut, good size breast.... I myself put him at 3.5-4.5!! Coming here first before i send to the biologist about getting pass card on culling him out. We don't need that width breeding out here on a 13" rule. If yall think he is young enough I'll let him slide. Don't really care what he scores now, just want to manage the heard!
                  Why would you want to cull a solid 2-3 yr old buck? He's the same size as the does, give him 2-3 yrs before you even consider taking that buck!

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                    Why would you want to cull a solid 2-3 yr old buck? He's the same size as the does, give him 2-3 yrs before you even consider taking that buck!
                    I want to cull a buck that is 3.5-4.5 with a inside spread of 12" so he doesn't spread those genetics. That is the age that I'm put him at. I'm trying to get other guys opinion on the age. if the majority says he's to young, I'll leave him alone. If he is mature enough i will try to cull him. I don't base a bucks age off the size of another doe. I look at body characteristics and the face

Comment

You aren't going to change the genetics by shooting 1 or even 5 narrow young bucks.. Chasing your tail trying to change it that way, plenty of narrow racked bucks score high given age and nutrition to get to their max potential. Best of luck to you

Comment

Young deer, no where near needing to be culled. That deer even being narrow has a lot of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                          You aren't going to change the genetics by shooting 1 or even 5 narrow young bucks.. Chasing your tail trying to change it that way, plenty of narrow racked bucks score high given age and nutrition to get to their max potential. Best of luck to you
                          I'm not trying to debate this, but that make's no since... what would be the point of shooting spikes or even culling any buck then?? I have let many young deer walk year after year(have not shot a deer in 4 years). I'm have a difficult time aging this buck with the pictures i have. Never was trying to get permission to let this buck walk or not. ALL I WANTED was what every thought the age of this buck is....

Comment

He looks young... Maybe 3.5 I say that cause I see a tiny gut... Like me in college

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                              He looks young... Maybe 3.5 I say that cause I see a tiny gut... Like me in college
                              Young narrow bucks turn in to this at 5 years old. Or can at least. This one was 5 1/2 and was the first year he was legal.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X