Edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edges

I always hear people say edges are good places to hunt. They provide cover and travel routes. When I think of edges I think of edges of fields, pipelines, highlines, roads or trails that run through the woods. Even where hardwoods stop and pines or cedars start. Are these edges? What do you consider edges and why are they good places to hunt in your opinion?

I would think that it is a reference to any body of woods where deer will come out on the edges but not necessarily out in the middle for seclusion purposes.

Comment

Those are edges. Any change in habitat can be considered a edge. Walk along a field edge between a hay field and woods and that 20 ft transition between offers great deer browse.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
        I always hear people say edges are good places to hunt. They provide cover and travel routes. When I think of edges I think of edges of fields, pipelines, highlines, roads or trails that run through the woods. Even where hardwoods stop and pines or cedars start. Are these edges? What do you consider edges and why are they good places to hunt in your opinion?
        Yes all those are edges. Edges are 2 or more different "habitats", terrain features, types of vegetation, that come together. Usually they offer deer quick escape routes, variety and copious amounts of food and easy travel routes or seclusion while traveling.
        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-11-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

The 10 point in my avatar was taken on the edge of our wheat and pasture. Probably saw more deer and pigs there than from my other blinds in the pasture. Same applies to other places I have hunted.

Comment

Working...
          X