Ashby on the Meateater podcast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashby on the Meateater podcast.

Worth a listen. I understand the basic concepts he puts out but I don't do well with technical papers full of big words and such. He breaks down his work pretty well in terms and ideas I can actually understand. I switched to heavier arrows and single bevels a while ago and have been pretty pleased with the outcomes. I know not everyone agrees with his stuff but this episode is pretty good and they recorded it here in Texas.

I has certainly made me look at my arrow set ups closely now. I'm not really looking to quickly change given the size of the TX whitetails.

J

Comment

Listened to it today at work, definitely worth a listen whether you agree with his philosophy or not. There’s some things in there that everyone should want to learn whether you prefer light or heavy arrows.

Comment

So what in the podcast makes you want to build a heavy arrow?

Comment

A friend told me to listen too. Told him get back to me after this season because I ain't changing now!

I haven't listened, but what I have been told, it sounds like he is trying to get that last 1/10th of a percent of performance out of his setup.

Comment

I liked the part when Dr. Ashby "corrected" Rinella on his use of the word/term American Buffalo. Ha, he "corrected" the guy who actually wrote a book on the American Buffalo.
            I bet Dr. Ashby would like to have that one back.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
              I liked the part when Dr. Ashby "corrected" Rinella on his use of the word/term American Buffalo. Ha, he "corrected" the guy who actually wrote a book on the American Buffalo.
              I bet Dr. Ashby would like to have that one back.
              I'm not going to listen to the podcast. So can you enlighten me as to what was said? Thanks.

By the way, Ashby is very arrogant.

now Since you wrote American buffalo I can guess us Ashby tried to tell him it's a bison, not a buffalo. If that is what he said. Then Ashby is correct. It is a bison, not a buffalo. There is a difference.
              Last edited by enewman; 08-04-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                I'm not going to listen to the podcast. So can you enlighten me as to what was said? Thanks.

By the way, Ashby is very arrogant.

now Since you wrote American buffalo I can guess us Ashby tried to tell him it's a bison, not a buffalo. If that is what he said. Then Ashby is correct. It is a bison, not a buffalo. There is a difference.
                You are correct, but you would have to listen to the context of what Rinella was saying. Rinella bit his tongue on that part and I felt he did a lot of the episode.

With Ashby I have always felt it's not exactly what he is saying, but how he says it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                  You are correct, but you would have to listen to the context of what Rinella was saying. Rinella bit his tongue on that part and I felt he did a lot of the episode.

With Ashby I have always felt it's not exactly what he is saying, but how he says it.
                  Dang, I may just have to listen to it.

Thanks

Comment

I thought it was a pretty solid episode and need to listen again without as many interruptions. Whether you like the guy or not, he's got years of experimental data so I'm all ears. He's right that marketing and advertising have taken us to believe things like speed and heavy weight are required to kill game. I'll end up revisiting my trad arrows, but doubt i do much with my compound since I stay basic to begin with.

The reports and reading on his site are pretty interesting and mostly what he talked about on the show.

Dr. Ed Ashby has provided us with decades of critical research focused on arrow and broadhead penetration. This work stands alone and provides global leadership in the areas of bowhunting lethality and ethical hunting practices.

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd put money on most people's penetration problems are due to the style and cut of the broadhead over the weight of the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                        I'd put money on most people's penetration problems are due to the style and cut of the broadhead over the weight of the arrow.
                        I will add some money to yours. I say it's broadhead also.

Comment

I believe penetration has the most to do with the arrow hitting the target straight. If the arrow is not flying straight when it hits it does not have all the energy pointed in the same direction. However, FOC weight helps when the arrow is not perfectly perpendicular to the target. Being well tuned is the most important thing for penetration.

Comment

If you want to go down this rabbit hole Kifarucast has Ashby on. I think it was 2 or 3 years ago. It probably is a little more rounded podcast as Snyder has a lot more experience behind a bow and is playing to a more select audience than Meateater.

I believe that is where Ashby states he only would shoot 30 yards or closer. That is all great and good here in Texas, but not so much if you hunt out West and have to shoot longer. That said I still say arrow penetration is very rarely a problem on bad shots from what I have witnessed here in Texas... even when people post videos on here as well. Those evil 400 grain arrows zip right through... one lung, liver or guts. If you hit a decent sized hog high shoulder I guess that 650 grain arrow would of been better???

The old saying the "truth probably lies somewhere in the middle" seems to ring true with arrows, at least to me.

Comment

I really want to build a 1600gr arrow! [emoji3] But yeah. Gather info and do what works for you. I’m happy around 540 gr.

Comment

Working...
                              X