rant about out of control local government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rant about out of control local government

For the past 3 years, we have put on a small event called "salsa fest". my (back then) 10 year old son came up with the idea to have a salsa competition to raise money for kids with cancer. We didn't start a new organization, we just put on a salsa fest, invite anyone and everyone to come and try to raise whatever money we can.

Last year was awesome, we teamed with Triumph over kid cancer (TOKC), which is a local charity founded by a teenager that had cancer. all funds we brought in went to TOKC, and then MD Anderson matched it. Everything was great. we raised $6600.

this year, one of the local news channels does a story on it, and interviews my kids about the event. fast forward a few days later, and I get a facebook message from a woman with the city health department. I call her back after a couple messages, and long story short after we go back and forth, I tell her that we won't sell any BBQ sandwiches.. done. she informs me that we're not done, and "anyone" who brings a salsa to the event would need a food preparers and handlers license, or they would shut us down. I try to tell her this is just a fun event. We're not an "organization", and there are no "vendors" bringing in salsa. It's just people coming together from the community to do a good thing for pediatric cancer.

We're still going to have the event, but do it at our house, which will obviously make it a smaller venue. I just can't believe some people are so chicken **** that they would put taxpayer funded focus on an event like this.

rant over. have a nice day, and consider a donation to TOKC

Reach back out to the new station that interviewed your kids and let them know what’s going on. They may cover you again that some bored govt employee is shutting down a kids charity event

Comment

i would put it on at the original venue and call some news channel to cover the gestapo coming in and busting it up; i'd be willing to bet they wouldn't mess with your event.

Comment

Not surprised at all. You can't do anything without the gov getting a piece

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
          Reach back out to the new station that interviewed your kids and let them know what’s going on. They may cover you again that some bored govt employee is shutting down a kids charity event
          We did. they won't touch it. I've spoken to a couple council members, and both said they find it hard to believe that the city is putting any focus on small events like this, but apparently they are. several friends I've spoken to have had similar things happen. One is a boy scout troop leader, and they had an event shut down, another is a jr. high softball coach, and they also had an event shut down (BBQ)

There's one of two things that happened. Someone at the health department is just sorry, or someone called in to complain. All I can say is I'll know in a few days. freedom of information act was great, especially for public information with government officials that have fairly strict requirements to preserve email and other records.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
            Not surprised at all. You can't do anything without the gov getting a piece
            man, if it was just about me paying a fee for a permit, I would have done it in a heartbeat. They were essentially shutting the event down though by demanding every person that entered the event needed a food preparers AND food handler's license. insanity.

Comment

Probably a jealous hater.

Comment

Did the gov. Just pass a bill called something like the lemonade stand bill?
                It prevents this type of reaction from city officials.
                You should check into that.
                These city officials are sorry as hell to even consider ruining something so good

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  Did the gov. Just pass a bill called something like the lemonade stand bill?
                  It prevents this type of reaction from city officials.
                  You should check into that.
                  These city officials are sorry as hell to even consider ruining something so good
                  they sure did, but it doesn't go into effect until September 1st. So in basically, they're wasting time enforcing a lame duck regulation.

welcome to Corpus Christi, where the log rolling never slows down.

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                      i would put it on at the original venue and call some news channel to cover the gestapo coming in and busting it up; i'd be willing to bet they wouldn't mess with your event.
                      X2

Comment

It's usually that one person with a stick up their butt that causes this kind of heartburn. If you can figure out who that person is, you might be able to call attention to them and what they are doing to everyone. Sounds like somebody is on a little power trip.

Comment

Reach out to a local VFD that is in the county. They would love the positive publicity and no health inspection in the county (unless a state rep shows up).

Comment

Look up the lay on cottage industries in the state of Texas. Then look at your cities law. There are a lot of item like this and if you are not serving the BBQ you could have a very legal ground to stand on.
                            I was involved with some school fundraising and was concerned about having issues with bake sales but the cottage industry law should cover you. Sound to me like you have an over zealous food inspector.
                            This may or may not help I am not an lawyer. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry SOBs.

Comment

Working...
                              X