Which ultra light rod/reel combo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which ultra light rod/reel combo.

Which ultralight rod/reel combo do y’all recommend for trout fishing? I have a nice fly rod set up but wanting an ultralight combo to have as well. Not looking to spend a lot. Also one that would be good for other fishing crappie, etc.

The Cabelas micro series spinning rods are really nice. And I think run 40-80$.

I love to throw light action spinning tackle. But I prefer 7' L action rods. Waterloo and Castaway are my favorites. Have 2500 series Daiwa on my 7' ML Waterloo, and a 2000 Daiwa on my 7' L Castaway.

The Daiwa BG, and RG are really good for the money. As are all the Shimano reels in the 40-100$ range.

I use mine in saltwater, and for crappie and bass in fresh. The 7' rods and braid let you whip those light lures out there a ways.

Comment

For ultralight set ups IMO pflueger makes some decent quality rod and reels for a price anyone can afford and not wanting to spend much.

There are a lot of better quality makes and models out there but you’re gonna pay for them.

Comment

IMO ya can’t beat a Diawa and an all star rod for the price, landed 100’s of specs and drug in a few 30-40” reds too with it. 12# line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ultralight reel & rod

I used this setup in Colorado last summer. Wife and I crushed the trout.

These reels are inexpensive. I'd skip the 500 and go with the 1000. The rods were Gander Mountain but I've since upgraded to a 6' St. Croix trout series rod.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
            I used this setup in Colorado last summer. Wife and I crushed the trout.

These reels are inexpensive. I'd skip the 500 and go with the 1000. The rods were Gander Mountain but I've since upgraded to a 6' St. Croix trout series rod.
            Those st croix trout series are all I use these days, some great rods! the best out there unless you get into the 300$+.

Skipping the 05 or 500 size and going to 10 or 1000 is good advice as well being as you would like to use it on crappie and other fish, gives you a big advantage with a lot more line.

Comment

I have owned quite a few ultralight rigs, at this time I own Pflueger President series 25x, 10 ball bearing reel. I use 4 pound test monofilament and a Cabelas Fish Eagle 2pc rod, 5'6" fast action. You will need to learn how to use the drag.

I have caught some nice Largemouth bass on these rigs using a small do-nothing worm and can tell you its a heck of a fight. Years ago I had a little Diawa rig and caught a channel cat that weighed close to ten pounds and it took me 15-20 minutes to get it in. The reel was junk after that fish

Comment

Working...
              X