Successful Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful Food Plots

What has been your best food plot where you hunt? By best, I mean deer preference

Location?
    Crop?

Leon County
    Oats/rye grass (I am looking to try some new stuff, didn't get to plant a food plot this season)

Speaking of, I am looking for a used grain drill 6ft wide.

If there was a way to easily document this information and have access to your records year after year on your phone or computer through the internet, would you use it? With the ability to share these records with a group of people(friends, family, lease members, neighbors). I thought it would be cool to keep track of food plots to discover what grew better on a certain property or a crop deer preferred over another over different hunting locations. Which in turn, I thought that would be useful information to be able to share, as long, as those I am sharing with are doing the same.
    Last edited by Beargrasstx; 12-30-2018, 11:57 AM.

I have settled on a blend developed by LSU, it is a very good blend. Deer keep it ate down and it keeps growing. I also over seed with Winter Wheat just to give the blend some protection.

Its pretty too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-25 14-20-55 M 2_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	24564720

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      I have settled on a blend developed by LSU, it is a very good blend. Deer keep it ate down and it keeps growing. I also over seed with Winter Wheat just to give the blend some protection.

Its pretty too.

[ATTACH]939759[/ATTACH]
      What name is this LSU blend and where are you buying it ?

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
        What name is this LSU blend and where are you buying it ?
        Its called BuckBuster Blend. There are 2 types, Reg and Prem. You can buy it online, I get it in Sulphur La. at Fletchers Feed on Ruth Street, right next to Holliers Rest.

My plots are located in Newton County, sandy loam soil.

Comment

Spring/summer it's IC peas, soybeans or a combination

Fall/winter it's wheat/oats/rye grain usually with some Austrian winter peas

Perennial it's Whitetail Institute clover

These crops have never let me down.

Comment

I had a small amount of iron clay peas but they didn't survive the early frost in November.

In the past I've planted oats but they don't seem to be attractive in the late season.

I plant about 600 yards of a cornfield turn row with a couple of wide spots near the south end. I have a box blind positioned on a well pad with shots ranging from about 250 to the edges and 125isb to the center.

I planted a 3 blend clover mix. While I like it it was late to really flourish. I believe I'll mix in a little bit of oats next year for an earlier start along with the clover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_094727.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	24564722Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_094706.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24564723Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_094358.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	24564724Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_091847(0).jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	24564725Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_093756.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	24564726

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a biologist a long time ago tell me in a food plot seminar “everything I tell you is a lie, until you prove it true”. I’ve taken that quote to all levels of deer hunting with records and notes of about anything you can take records and notes on.

In most areas I hunt I already have native rye grass and clovers of several species so I don’t plant to compete with those. My #1 mix for my area:
              Fall plots
              I&C cow peas- 25# acre- they won’t survive the frost... but deer will kill them within 2 weeks anyway. Just a draw
              Bob oats- 25# acre- early season draw and preferred
              Wheat- 25# acre- late season preferred and cold tolerant
              Winter peas-10# acre- low preference... very low, but available if needed and a legume
              Purple top turnips- 2# acre- even lower preference most years but this year has been exception. Tops anyway, but bust soil and add organic materials for spring

Spring plot:

I&C peas..... that’s it. Nothing else competes with preferences or tonnage. And holds up to browse pressure best. Still need 2 ac minimum plots to keep from being destroyed
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Low Fence; 12-30-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I agree with the clover and competing with native issue. My lease has always had a little clover but I plan in a high traffic area so I thought I'd give it a shot. With the extremely wet year we've had, there's more native clover then I've every seen around the pasture.

I too have tried winter peas which look great but don't seem to be very attractive.

Been thinking about adding alfalfa for the late season. My uncle has been planting it for two years now near College Station and is having excellent results.

Plus that along with the oats gives the land owner some high quality / protein hay which he mixes with whole corn and a few other items for a custom grind.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                  I agree with the clover and competing with native issue. My lease has always had a little clover but I plan in a high traffic area so I thought I'd give it a shot. With the extremely wet year we've had, there's more native clover then I've every seen around the pasture.

I too have tried winter peas which look great but don't seem to be very attractive.

Been thinking about adding alfalfa for the late season. My uncle has been planting it for two years now near College Station and is having excellent results.

Plus that along with the oats gives the land owner some high quality / protein hay which he mixes with whole corn and a few other items for a custom grind.
                  Problem I had with my limited experience with alfalfa was competition in a mix plot or just my area, one or the other. But didn’t grow well to justify cost

Could be just me. They are working on a variety now for specific for East Texas and I’ll try and get on the field testing side of it

Comment

Awesome, thank you for the information. Would y'all or anyone that reads this thread be interested in forming a group to share planting records. I will explain more later how that would work but I am not a sponsor until Jan. 1st so not able to discuss specifics. Basically, I want to learn as much as I can and the best way to do that is to work with others and share intel. I am on the lookout for a grain drill 6ft wide used if anyone has one for sell.

Comment

I don’t FB but I’m willing to share any info I may have or continue to collect. I love the food plot farming almost as much as hunting them... almost

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                        Awesome, thank you for the information. Would y'all or anyone that reads this thread be interested in forming a group to share planting records. I will explain more later how that would work but I am not a sponsor until Jan. 1st so not able to discuss specifics. Basically, I want to learn as much as I can and the best way to do that is to work with others and share intel. I am on the lookout for a grain drill 6ft wide used if anyone has one for sell.
                        Let the deer show you what they like.

On my lease its Soybeans in the Summer and a blend I buy, combined with Winter Wheat. I tried mixing Soybeans in with my Winter plot, but they either didn't come up or the deer pulled them up. Anything to supplement the natural browse is fine as long as they eat it.

Another thing that gets overlooked is fertilizing the natural browse, it is extremely good for the deer.

We used Berseem clover also this past Winter, I was disappointed.
                        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-30-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I have planted all sorts of stuff. If somebody told me deer liked it I would plant it.

Pretty much the same results with most of it, grows up nice and pretty and deer walk through or around it without much interest.

In 2017 I decided that if I was going to plant stuff and the deer were not going to eat it I might as well mix some sunflower in so the birds would have something.
                          When the sunflowers (black oil just like you buy with the rest of the birdfeed) got about knee high the deer found them. There was nothing left but knee high stalks, no leaves, no flowers, all gone. Then they laid into the I&C peas.

Fall plots are still oats, winter peas and turnips and they get grazed on by the deer.

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                              What has been your best food plot where you hunt? By best, I mean deer preference

Location?
                              Crop?

Leon County
                              Oats/rye grass (I am looking to try some new stuff, didn't get to plant a food plot this season)

Speaking of, I am looking for a used grain drill 6ft wide.

If there was a way to easily document this information and have access to your records year after year on your phone or computer through the internet, would you use it? With the ability to share these records with a group of people(friends, family, lease members, neighbors). I thought it would be cool to keep track of food plots to discover what grew better on a certain property or a crop deer preferred over another over different hunting locations. Which in turn, I thought that would be useful information to be able to share, as long, as those I am sharing with are doing the same.

I can tell you that in Leon county where I am I had the most amazing turnip crop ever most bigger than my hand and they didn’t touch them. It was sad to till all those amazing turnips back into the ground in spring
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X