Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
MooseontheLoose
Ten Point

Default Tricked by the Video - A Buck Named Troy

Like many out there I try to video shots when hunting, whether it be with a bow or rifle. I enjoy reviewing the footage and sharing with friends and family. Iíve also seen, guided, and been around enough shots to know that what your eyes think you saw in the moment of truth, and what actually happened can be two very different things. I wanted to share an interesting situation I had recently with a management buck we called Troy Landry (CHOOT ĎEM), where the video looked much different than the reality.

This deer was a known buck we have a lot of history with. 5 years of pics of him meant he was at least 7 at the very youngest this year. The past few years he was a deer that was around fairly regularly in early season, but then would move elsewhere for the rut and late season. I actually went to go shoot him last year but an older, smaller, buck came in, so I shot that one instead. Troy lived to see another year.

Although he wasnít a protein deer, with the great range conditions he grew his best rack ever this year. He was a cool looking buck with a lot of character, but he just didnít have what it would take to be a top end deer. His age, size, and attitude toward some of the better, younger bucks gave him a fast pass to the management list.

I headed to the blind early the day I shot him. With the cooler temps I figured the deer would be on their feet early. About 30 minutes before the feeder went off, I saw a deer working his way in. When he cleared the mesquites, I could see it was Troy. He milled around for a little bit and then worked his way in and started to eat hand corn. I let him feed for a little bit to calm down and to work into position so I could shoot him.

He eventually worked his way broadside and then quartered away. I started the camera, drew my bow, aimed, and squeezed off. Immediately, I knew the shot was higher than I wanted. Fortunately for me, the direction he took off was through low scrub brush and meant I could watch him run for a bit. As he ran, I could see the arrow was still in him bouncing all around, and I could see good blood all over his side. He made it about 90 yards before I lost sight of him. He spun around right before I lost sight of him, and a few seconds later I heard the flop of a deer crashing.

When all was quiet I went to the camera to review the footage and was pretty frustrated with what I saw. The shot seemed much higher on the camera that I remember in my minds-eye. It seemed like it should have been a backstrap hit on the impact of the footage. One of the next frames seemed like it might be ok in the high lungs. Right before he left the frame, there was a good squirt of blood too.

Shot sequence:

Name:  Troy 1.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  342.5 KB

Name:  Troy 2.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  343.6 KB

Name:  Troy 3.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  319.2 KB

Name:  Troy 4.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  316.8 KB

I went back and forth knowing that a backstrap hit wouldnít have made the deer bleed that much, much less the immediate squirt of blood at the end of the video clip. You can see in the pics that he also dropped pretty significantly at the sound of the shot and through the impact, so I had that working against me as well.

All I had to go off was my recollection of what just happened and this poor-looking video clip. The camera was lower in the blind, and I videoed out of a different window than the one I shot from. I sent out a few texts of the footage to get some thoughts and the consensus was the same: some places it looks way too high, but others it seems ok and the blood squirt meant it hit something good.

I gave it an hour and then got out to look for sign. I was able to find blood pretty quickly for about 50 yards. It wasnít heavy blood but it was bright red and easy enough to follow. I worked my way to where I lost sight of him and heard the crash, expecting to find a body, and nothing. No deer.

I checked a handful of the closest whitebrush thickets and did a grid in the direction of travel but didnít turn up anything. No sign, no deer. The doubt started to creep in big time.

After looking for a bit with no luck I decided to send the video to Matt McWilliams. Matt has found a deer for me before and his dog is a rockstar. I knew if this was going to turn into a one-lung hit, Arkansas goat-rope deer chase, that dog would be one I wanted on my team. We talked about it for a bit, looked at the footage more, and he decided to head my way.

Lucky for me he was close, so it didnít take long and we were back at the blind, dropped the tailgate, and let the dog do his thing. I think both of us were expecting to see the dog run all over creation, following this deer, but it hit the trail, ran just about to where I lost sight of the deer, took a big turn, and then just stopped. We headed that way.

When we got closer we could see the Nockturnal glowing and we knew the arrow was up ahead. I hadnít been able to see it earlier, looking for the deer in the daylight. When we got even closer we realized the arrow was still in the deer, and he was dead as a hammer.

It was right around 3 hours from when I shot him to when we found him and he was stiff as a board. The flop I heard from the blind was definitely him crashing. He died right away after the shot.

As it turned out, he took a 90 degree turn right after I lost sight of him, and crashed 30-40 yards in a completely different direction, almost opposite the way he had traveled the whole time I watched him. I hadnít looked at all in that direction, and just kept going the direction he had been taking.

Both of us were relieved we didnít have to spend hours chasing a deer around all night. Tracking dogs are worth every penny when you need them. I might have potentially found that deer, gridding all night, but I wouldnít have looked in that direction for a very long time, if at all. That dog found this deer in seconds.

The craziest part to me (and the ultimate purpose for this thread), was seeing where the arrow actually went into this deer, compared to what it looked like on the video. Iíve had a lot of bow shots impact a little different than they appear on camera, depending on angles, filming windows, etc., but this one is the most significant difference that I can remember. The shot was a grunt higher than I would have wanted but wasn't nearly as bad as it looked and was quickly lethal.

This pic is of the entrance side hole. Wasp Jak-Hammer was the random arrow drawn out of my quiver that day, so thatís what I shot him with. The autopsy showed the top 1/3 of the near side lung was cut off, with a small hole in the second lung. The broadhead bouncing around in there as he ran off cut things from the backstrap all the way down to some vessels above the heart. The liver, diaphragm, and all the groceries were untouched. That made cleaning him much more pleasant.

Name:  C272D0E5-6A66-4441-BF44-3F7ECB62DF90.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8383.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  240.6 KB

The saga of Troy is over, but not without a bit of a crazy story and a cool looking euro.

Shout out to Matt for the recovery assistance, David for the pics and skinning help, and Chad for the mount. If youíre in the San Antonio area, hit up TBH sponsor cwbrown for any of your euro needs.

Name:  D68BBB23-E498-478A-9D84-6838EFBF4D3E.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  FDE1CF83-0F02-4F36-9EF1-BD9E59CE8AD8.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  128.3 KB
MooseontheLoose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Man, that is loco...great write up / captures.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Crazy! and congrats
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

In your second picture, the alignment of his front feet in relation to his body kinda gives away the fact that he's kind of rolled away from you in that frame. With the ridge of his spine facing somewhat away, it makes your shot look higher than it should. In the 3rd frame he's somewhat back up over his getaway sticks, making your shot appear lower. I think in the 4th, he's probably still rolled away more than it appears, but it's hard to tell from his feet/legs...weird.

Great footage, and neat old deer. Good stuff, Wetzel!

Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-27-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

Nice! Thanks for sharing and doing a great write up on it.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Fantastic story! Congrats on the recovery.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #7
tminc
Ten Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

Very interesting,glad it worked out.Really cool buck
Congratulations
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Cool story bro. Congrats on the nice buck !
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Another wild thing is it looks like he already had a hole there before the shot
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #10
Double R 2
Four Point

Hunt In: N.TX/S.OK

Those are cool pics. Glad it all worked out in the end. Congrats.
Double R 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
Ag 89
Eight Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

Thanks for sharing. If you look closely at the scar on his side in first picture, it is about at the bottom of the backstrap. If you look at the next pictures you can tell your arrow is lower than that scar. Not an ideal hit, but definitely lethal and below the typical non-lethal backstrap hit. Congrats on a cool looking buck! Glad you found him.
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

Great story and outcome. Yes the captures are misleading for sure. All’s well that ends well.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #13
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Blanco

Sometimes things just don't seem to make sense while you're in the blind. Great buck and write up! Congratulations again.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #14
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Great story, congrats on the buck!

I made a "perfect shot" on a buck once. Watched him run about 80 yards and go down. I didn't track him, just walked to where I saw him fall only to find him alive but unable to use his rear legs. I had hit him in one backstrap about a foot behind where I was aiming!
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #15
Clint
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

That spot looks familiar. Cool buck!
Clint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #16
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Did the broadhead cut the femoral that runs right under the spine? That would explain the gush of blood on such a high hit. Done that before. Thought I lost the deer, and shot another, and ended up having to drag two out that morning.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

First off great buck and write up.... Glad you found him and were able to seal the deal. Congrats man!

Hit looks similar to my 2017 Redemption buck with the tall brows ....high lung on one side because he rolled and just a shade under the backstrap. I nicked his aortic artery. Ironically Matt found him for me dead as well...lol....at 883 yards though... Well done!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #18
goldtip5575
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Great write up Adam. These types of videos, pictures, and write ups can sure help others down the road. Thanks for sharing.
goldtip5575 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #19
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Congratulations on the nice buck! Great write-up.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #20
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Iím a big fan of videoing the hunts. Crazy how things happen at times.

Thatís a cool old buck. Big congrats on the bow kill. Those Wasp Jack-Hammers are nasty.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #21
Bisch
Pope & Young

Yep! A lot of times, what we know we saw and what we actually saw are two different things. Since I started guiding hunters , I have had numerous occasions where the hunter said they made a great shot, and either A) we never found the deer, or B) when we did the hole was in a way different place than what the hunter had said.

Congrats on your buck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #22
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

It like he barrel rolled, but when I saw the last pic with squirt of blood I knew he was dead before I read on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #23
88 Bound
Ten Point

Crazy story and a great buck. Congrats!
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #24
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

great buck and great write up
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #25
JDH875
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over TX

Great story. Thanks for sharing!
JDH875 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #26
flinger
Ten Point

Congrats!!
flinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #27
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Great writeup Adam and nice buck to boot.
Leonhogboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #28
Ellen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County, Texas

Great write-up. Awesome buck. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #29
Aggies96
Four Point

I usually shoot about a 10-12" over the top of my camera in my blinds but when you watch the footage the arrow looks like its coming from 10 feet over the top. Amazing how different the shot can look on camera sometimes when considering the angle of vision is only a few feet. Great write up and and congrats on the buck.
Aggies96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #30
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Another wild thing is it looks like he already had a hole there before the shot
Thats the first thing I noticed as well. Was trying to determine if that was the shadow of the arrow approaching or something
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #31
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Great buck. I would have been really fooled by the pictures of the entrance.

Glad you found him.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #32
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Cool deer!! Cool story and congratulations.

Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #33
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen county

Very cool looking buck. What is the name of the euro stand? I'd like to get a closer look at them.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #34
Paycheck
Ten Point

That 2nd shot got me too. I thought that it was way higher. Congrats
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #35
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Did the broadhead cut the femoral that runs right under the spine? That would explain the gush of blood on such a high hit. Done that before. Thought I lost the deer, and shot another, and ended up having to drag two out that morning.
This is what i thought, because Ive also done it. Deer within 15 yards.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #36
Double L
Pope & Young

Good job on the story & photo's Adam. That's why I won't shoot one anymore without video. The ability to replay the shot is invaluable. Glad it all worked out for you.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #37
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Atta boy! Great edition of…What Really Happened Here?

Gonna post the actual video?
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #38
Mary
Administrator

Way to go Adam....congrats!
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #39
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Congratulations, Adam, great buck and write up!
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #40
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Congrats
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #41
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Cool looking buck, congrats
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #42
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Great write up and cool buck. Thanks for sharing and congrats.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #43
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

Great writeup and a very neat looking "Troy"!

Congrats!
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #44
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Congrats, enjoyed reading about it
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #45
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

He's a really cool buck! Glad you found him!
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #46
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Congrats Adam! It is interesting how that arrow just stopped. Looks like you must have hit an offside bone of some sort.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #47
simek
Ten Point

Well done, amigo Adam!
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #48
MooseontheLoose
Ten Point

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
I think it probably hit that at some point with the arrow bouncing around. He made it about 120 yards straight line from where I shot him. It definitely nicked something good. The offside lung hole was tiny and he wasn't bleeding any from his nose or mouth. There was also a vein up above the heart that was severed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
Very cool looking buck. What is the name of the euro stand? I'd like to get a closer look at them.
It's the Skull Hooker Trophy Tree. Camofire has them on clearance every week or two for around $100. Almost half price compared to their website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Atta boy! Great edition ofÖWhat Really Happened Here?

Gonna post the actual video?
Probably not just because I don't have a YT channel or any other platform to upload to.
MooseontheLoose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #49
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Tricked by the Video - A Buck Named Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
Thanks all!

I think it probably hit that at some point with the arrow bouncing around. He made it about 120 yards straight line from where I shot him. It definitely nicked something good. The offside lung hole was tiny and he wasn't bleeding any from his nose or mouth. There was also a vein up above the heart that was severed too.

It's the Skull Hooker Trophy Tree. Camofire has them on clearance every week or two for around $100. Almost half price compared to their website

Probably not just because I don't have a YT channel or any other platform to upload to.

Iím betting you hit the dorsal aortic that travels under the spine at some point with that shot, Adam. Itís deadly.. too bad itís so thin or weíd have another vital to aim for . If Iíd have blown through mine versus nicking it, I might have found mine much earlier.

Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #50
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Ok, I was calling the Dorsal Aorta the femoral, guess the femoral is what splits to the back legs. Either way, you hit these main arteries from the heart, and they bleed out pretty quick. That also, in my opinion, show the benefit of shooting a big mechanical. Shot a pile of deer with jack hammers. Only switch to vortex, and then spitfires because the jackhammer blades seem to butter knifer pretty bad when they hit bone, and I had two instances where I sheared of a blade shooting bucks.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 10-29-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top