6.5prc sticky case issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5prc sticky case issue

Wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if they have found a fix. Seems after the first firing or two the base of the case stretches and the reloading dies so not Form them back to proper size. Seems factory ammo is about.525-528 at the .200” area of the case. Mine won’t size past .530 on once fired ADG brass and man it’s a hard time to chamber them after sizing. I’m using a forester FL sizing die.

Was going to see if Alamo had a fix for it. It’s kind of starting to happen in my 300prc they made as well. Seems more of a SAMMI spec issue from Hornady than anything.

Scott.

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
    Wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if they have found a fix. Seems after the first firing or two the base of the case stretches and the reloading dies so not Form them back to proper size. Seems factory ammo is about.525-528 at the .200” area of the case. Mine won’t size past .530 on once fired ADG brass and man it’s a hard time to chamber them after sizing. I’m using a forester FL sizing die.

Was going to see if Alamo had a fix for it. It’s kind of starting to happen in my 300prc they made as well. Seems more of a SAMMI spec issue from Hornady than anything.

Scott.
    One thing you can try is to place your shell holder on a flat file and file down the top to allow more of the case to travel in the die. I had a problem with my 7-08 AI doing that and once I filed the shell holder down the problem went away. I did this mainly because I have several extra shell holders so that one that I modified is dedicated to that gun only.

Before you do this verify your shoulder bump because this process can also alter how much your shoulder is bumped back and could mess up your headspacing. Do it in small increments and then check your results.

Another option is to see if you can locate a small base 6.5 PRC die (I don't know if they exist though). Those dies will size it a couple thou smaller than a normal FL die.
    Last edited by canny; 10-26-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Small base dies for the PRC don’t seem to be a thing. I was thinking about the file idea just like you said not wanting to mess up the head space issue. I’m sure it’ll be something I try next

Originally posted by canny View Post
      One thing you can try is to place your shell holder on a flat file and file down the top to allow more of the case to travel in the die. I had a problem with my 7-08 AI doing that and once I filed the shell holder down the problem went away. I did this mainly because I have several extra shell holders so that one that I modified is dedicated to that gun only.

Before you do this verify your shoulder bump because this process can also alter how much your shoulder is bumped back and could mess up your headspacing. Do it in small increments and then check your results.

Another option is to see if you can locate a small base 6.5 PRC die (I don't know if they exist though). Those dies will size it a couple thou smaller than a normal FL die.

Comment

How much shoulder bump? Sounds like you’re not bumping enough. Has the head space been checked?

Comment

I haven't had that issue with my PRC, but I've read on other forums of guys that did. Both of the suggestions above fixed the issue. However, if it was me I wouldn't mess with filing the shell holder, I'd try to find a small base sizing die.

Comment

Search for Alex Wheeler PRC problem. There is a better reamer available from JGS but other than polishing out .002" at back of chamber in a lathe not much else is going to fix it. Dies can only be made so small and won't fix the issue.

Comment

This is once fired and even on brass that just needs neck sizing it’s still sticky

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              How much shoulder bump? Sounds like you’re not bumping enough. Has the head space been checked?

Comment

There are dies that won’t bump the shoulder. Especially on a custom gun that usually has a tighter chamber. I usually take .0010 off the bottom of the die. Have you checked to see if the shoulder is getting bumped?

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                  This is once fired and even on brass that just needs neck sizing it’s still sticky
                  If you have a neck sizing die that doesn’t have a bushing and bumps the shoulder throw it in the trash.

Comment

The SAAMI reamer has the chamber dimension = .533" at the .200" line. The web (solid brass) is .532". After a case is fired maybe even after first firing, a .532" die will not size the case enough for smooth chambering. Die can't be smaller than .532" or you'll split case right above the web. The JGS 6.5 PRC AW2 reamer is .535" at .200" line and then the dies can do their job and you'll be able to reload. Otherwise stick with factory ammo and fire 1 time. 300 PRC has same problem.

Comment

Sounds like a Hornady design problem for not thinking of reloaders

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
                      The SAAMI reamer has the chamber dimension = .533" at the .200" line. The web (solid brass) is .532". After a case is fired maybe even after first firing, a .532" die will not size the case enough for smooth chambering. Die can't be smaller than .532" or you'll split case right above the web. The JGS 6.5 PRC AW2 reamer is .535" at .200" line and then the dies can do their job and you'll be able to reload. Otherwise stick with factory ammo and fire 1 time. 300 PRC has same problem.

Comment

The Alex Wheeler thread referenced above is a good resource for explaining the causes of the issue. It is a design issue. Some folks have problems, while others don't have any issues through the life of their brass. Some chamber/die/brass combos seem to handle it better than others, and it's kind of luck of the draw. At this point it seems like folks having re-size issues are in the minority(we've had less than 5 customers contact us with issues out of 100's of PRC builds). That said, I had some special "fix" reamers ground earlier this year that cure the problem for those that may have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          If you have a neck sizing die that doesn’t have a bushing and bumps the shoulder throw it in the trash.

Just throw all neck sizing only dies in the trash

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                            Just throw all neck sizing only dies in the trash
                            I applaud thee sir!!

Comment

This is a known issue with the PRC dies.

There’s a big thread on it on LRH. Since I don’t and won’t own a PRC I’ve not been interested enough to read the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X