Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop
Default Back-up Bows

Curious who all has a backup bow? I am eyeballing upgrading bows next year from my Creed. Initial thought was to sell the Creed to help fund the next bow, but I have seen it mentioned several times here of folks having a back up. Seems like a good concept, but in my 20 years of bowhunting only once did I have a situation where I could have utilized a back up bow. Then again, the back up bow helps quell the sad thoughts of selling the Creed. I have killed a pile of animals with that thing
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

I bought a VXR this summer and kept my Halon32 for my elk hunt to bring both (just in case). I am going to keep the VXR and will sell Halon soon. Not hurting anything in the case but it is nice to have 2 when you are way up in the mountains and nowhere near a bowshop etc. If you don't need the money, might as well keep the Creed. If you are just bowhunting Bastrop Co and can be at a bowshop within 30 minutes, not as important. If you are going to start going on more elk hunts or things where it isn't as easy to get a quick fix, might be a good idea to hang onto it.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Right now my backup bow is from 1992, but I'm leaning towards a new bow at the end of the year. And my current bow will be my backup.

I'll try and find someone that wants to get into bow hunting and give the Darton excel away.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I don’t do back up bows after doing them for years and never picking them up..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #5
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

Knock on wood, but never needed one in trips to NZ, Africa and other states!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
Aggies96
Four Point

I've always kept a back up bow and taken it when possible for hunts. One year I was out in the middle of nowhere with the closest bow shop 4 hours away. Shooting off the ground I had a small limb roll into my cam when I released and my string came off the bow. I was done hunting at that point and still had another 1.5 days to go on a bow only hunt. Sucked. Granted I've never had to use it for that reason since. I do use it now for my 3D shooting bow. It's set up to shoot lighter arrows. That way I don't have switch things around on my main bow. Lots of things can happen - bow get's damaged, stolen, etc... that can ruin part of a bow season. Always good you can have something to fall back on quickly if need be.
Aggies96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!
Talking

Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-25 103058.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  19.1 KB
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I don't travel much like some of these world travelers. Just to and from my deer/pig leases and places I get invites too. A backup bow is just too much of a PITA to deal with and it takes up valuable room on the way to such places. If I don't take it with me, its not very useful so I don't do it. If my bow fails (hasn't in 16 years since getting back in), I'd fix it or just play camp *****..

Way back when, I once had to leave my bow at home since I had killed my trophy, and one of my leasemates insisted he take his backup bow with us even though we didn't have the room for 4 bows. Three of us were carpooling in his truck (his turn) and at the time I really need to split expenses. To stop the pissing match, I said, since I have killed my trophy, I guess I'll leave my bow here at home and play camp ***** so you can take both of yours. He said that's a great idea and that was that...well until we got to the lease and the word spread lol. That wouldn't happen again and hasn't after the razzing he took. He caught me on a good day.... That's another reason I'm not a fan of backup bows.

On the flipside, for what I sold my Elite Pulse for, I should have just kept it for a backup and hung it in my closet.. Glad the buyer is getting some good use out of it though.

Last edited by Smart; 10-25-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I used to have one but never touched it. Haven't had one for over 5 years now.

Thinking of upgrading bows this year and was considering keeping my other bow for a few months. I have an out of state archery only season hunt planned and could take it with me as a backup then sell it when I return.

Outside of bow season, my backup is a rifle. I like hunting and will use whatever weapon I have available. So if I don't have a bow available, I'll shoot hogs with my AR.

I do keep a backup set of strings and cables, have a bow press, and only hunt 75 miles from home. If needed I can fix most problems pretty quickly.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I don’t have a back up bow. I did have a bow string come off the rails on me once while hunting. I drove two hours to San Angelo and bought another one. I figured that’s always an option. It’s not worth hauling two bows around every time I hunt.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #11
Spike

Hunt In: Westhoff

I went hunting with a guy that leaned his bow against the side of his truck and then later decided to move his truck and ran over the bow and bent the riser, luckily he had a back up. Also on another hunt a friend cut his string with a broadhead and had to lose an afternoon hunt to drive to a bow shop an hour away to get a new string.
1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
Gunswayne
Six Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett

No backup for my compound. I do have 4 trad bows but i consider that collecting, not a backup per se.
Gunswayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #13
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Yeah, I keep 2 mid-range PSE bows vs an alpha bow from any manufacturer. Mainly because most years I hunt out of state (this year is an exception, I had to turn my tag in due to family illness). I have been know to cache one of my weapons (bow or gun) just in case my truck was to get broken into. It has not happened to me but I have known people it has happened to in the states closest to us. For me it is prudent when I consider the total expense in time and money I put into my trips.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

u shouldnt consider it a backup bow so much as u should bow#1 and #2....
if you are like most of us you most likely dont have gun and backup gun. A prepper once told me "one is none and 2 is 1"....i have more than 1 pistol, rifle, shotgun, and bow.
Granted they are in different calibers and or gauges. but nonetheless
DEREKG22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #15
stuntriderant
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elgin/Bastrop county

I have a vxr as my primary and a no cam as my back up.
stuntriderant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #16
tminc
Ten Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

I have 2 hoyt carbon matrix set up identical They are older bows but they get the job done.Having a back up has saved me in Wyoming and Mexico. I'm getting ready to retire them and go to my xbow now.and yes I have a back up for it too.��

Last edited by tminc; 10-25-2021 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Emoji
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #17
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

When I hunted out of state or hunted five or six hours from home I always kept a back up bow. After I quit hunting out of state I did not.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #18
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Coke Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

The last one I bought I kept the one I had before it as a backup.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

I've always kept a backup bow. Like you, I've only needed it once. That said, my primary bow failed on me years ago about two hours of heading out on a 8 day CO elk hunt. I would have been in a bad spot if I hadn't had the backup.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #20
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I try to not accumulate a bunch of hunting stuff. If I'm not using it I sell it. That goes for everything including additional bows.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #21
Bisch
Pope & Young

I have backup bows for both my trad and compound bows. I have several Trad bows that I can swap back and forth with little to no differences. I have 2 identical Elite Pure compounds. Anytime I go on a ďbigĒ hunt, 2 bows go with me.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #22
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Lots of good info here. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
I've always kept a backup bow. Like you, I've only needed it once. That said, my primary bow failed on me years ago about two hours of heading out on a 8 day CO elk hunt. I would have been in a bad spot if I hadn't had the backup.
This is the main reason I'm contemplating a back up. The whole reason I'm looking into a new bow is for my backcountry hunting.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #23
jstamps50
Six Point

Hunt In: Cooke County TX/New Mexico/Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
Curious who all has a backup bow? I am eyeballing upgrading bows next year from my Creed. Initial thought was to sell the Creed to help fund the next bow, but I have seen it mentioned several times here of folks having a back up. Seems like a good concept, but in my 20 years of bowhunting only once did I have a situation where I could have utilized a back up bow. Then again, the back up bow helps quell the sad thoughts of selling the Creed. I have killed a pile of animals with that thing
I used a Creed for years and this year, finally got a V3, but I am keeping the creed for back up. Last year I rolled my string off the cam, when it tangled in a cedar limb, during draw and I had to go home. No more bow until I went to CCR.. Won't do that again.. keep a back up.
jstamps50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #24
ganngus
Four Point

Hunt In: Crockett/Guadalupe/Gillespie/Webb Counties, Colorado, & New Mexico

PSE Xpedite is my primary bow and have my old PSE Brute as my backup. Both of which will be backups once my carbon levitate comes in...
ganngus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #25
charrell71
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin and DeWitt Counties

Since I upgraded my case to a double SKB, I carry 2 bows every trip. Adds a whopping 4 pounds to an already heavy *** case and gives me piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
charrell71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #26
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I keep 2 bows. I had a limb split the day before season opened a few years ago..I would have missed most of the season or bought another bow because it took 4 weeks for the parts to come in. Some of it has to do with the fact if you keep a bow for few years it's not worth much on the resale market so I'll just hang on to them.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #27
easeup
Ten Point

the alternate bow is used for really cold weather when I have too many clothes on to draw heavy. so the alternate is set up about 15lbs less pull. in cold weather it helps alot.
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #28
soldierarcher
Four Point

My primary bow is a 2019 Mathews Traverse. Backup bow is a 2015 Hoyt Nitrum Turbo. Both are setup very similar.
soldierarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #29
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I have enough backup bows that I could provide all my hunting buddy's with a backup bow if needed. I may need to hit some sort of meeting or something.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #30
RedBear78
Eight Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
I have enough backup bows that I could provide all my hunting buddy's with a backup bow if needed. I may need to hit some sort of meeting or something.
I was in the same boat,but it seemed some one always was needing one.I think I finally got rid of my early 90s Bear Whitetail2,I still have a mid 90s PSE Nova as a backup.But it seems some one else needed the backup.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #31
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

I have my 1st bow. A Chill-X .
I use just it about as much as my new bow. A bowtech SR6. The X is just so forgiving & feels just natural..
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #32
Black-N-Red
Ten Point

Most definitely need a back up. I just need one the other day. Went to hunt & when I pulled my Full Throttle out of the case I noticed the string wasnít touching the stop. A quick check found both upper limbs split & one lower limb. Made a quick phone call to my daughter & she had my Creed Xs in my hand in 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #33
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County/ Out West

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
I bought a VXR this summer and kept my Halon32 for my elk hunt to bring both (just in case). I am going to keep the VXR and will sell Halon soon. Not hurting anything in the case but it is nice to have 2 when you are way up in the mountains and nowhere near a bowshop etc. If you don't need the money, might as well keep the Creed. If you are just bowhunting Bastrop Co and can be at a bowshop within 30 minutes, not as important. If you are going to start going on more elk hunts or things where it isn't as easy to get a quick fix, might be a good idea to hang onto it.

Great idea, After my mishap this season on my elk hunt Iím in the market for a new bow. Probably will keep my RX1 for a backup just in case. Iíve got it shooting great so I dang sure donít want to sell it.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top