Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble With Broadhead Tuning - Underspined????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble With Broadhead Tuning - Underspined????

First let me start with the fact that I had a full tune done on my bow on Friday at CCR. All boxes checked including paper tune.

Field points are dead on up to 40yds. Even had a robinhood last night @ 30.

Put on my QAD exodus broadheads and they are consistently planing right.
    I tried adjusting my rest but the broadheads and feildpoints are moving with correlation instead of coming together.

Could i be underspined?

I didnt try turning my nocks as ive never had luck with that but will try it this evening.

Shooting a mathews triax 29" @ 67lbs. Carbon express piledriver hunter 340s.100 grain QAD exodus broadheads.

My arrows have the 2" blazer vanes. Should i try longer vanes? Different arrows?

Im considering just sighting the bow in for the broadheads but ive already ruined 5 arrows this season... I prefer to practice with feildpoints!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys may have!

Have you tried paper tuning your bow? I know its late in the game but, a quick few shots through paper should answer some questions for you.

Comment

Shoot a bareshaft at different distances and see what it does before spending money on shafts. Might show a masked habitual form deficiency.

Spin all your heads to recheck trueness.

Good luck 54.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-04-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

You are under spined a bit with the 340's. Chart show's you should be shooting 300's if you have 100 grains up front.

Comment

How long are your arrows? 29" your draw or arrow length?

Comment

I was thinking Gold Tips. Not sure on the Pile Driver arrows.

Comment

Bow was paper tuned Friday. Shooting perfect bullet holes.

Arrows are cut to 29"

Comment

Originally posted by TXPublic54 View Post
                Bow was paper tuned Friday. Shooting perfect bullet holes.

Arrows are cut to 29"
                I apologize, must have missed that in the original post...

Comment

I feel i have pretty good form. Been shooting consistently for 18 yrs.

I hate messing with the adjustment of my bow especially since i just had it fully tuned.

Any one else have this issue?
                  Does anyone actually get their broadheads to group with their field points?

Ive shot mechanical in years past for this reason, but im set on fixed this year and years to come.

Comment

Ha e you checked to make sure your vanes are clearing your rest ? If you are like me I have practice arrows and hunting arrows . Could be some as simple as that . Good luck

Comment

So shoot mechanicals which should shoot same as field tips. I used to tune each arrow and had to mark which broadhead went with each arrow before I switched to mechanicals. Spitfire, rage, grim reaper all fly same as field tips for me.
                      Last edited by denimdeerslayer; 10-04-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I am not an expert and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If you are set on fixed heads, maybe try a different brand of broadhead? I have had good success with Slick tricks flying to same point of aim as field points. I have never tried exodus.

Comment

I have always just moved my sight to adjust for a slightly different POI when using broadheads. When I practice and sight in going from FP's to Broadheads I will use multiple aiming dots on the target and/or separate targets to prevent from tearing up the fletching.
                          If you are grouping your broadheads out to 40 yards and it is just a POI difference I would not mess with it at all. You could chase this rabbit for days.

When it comes down to it we are talking about accuracy with your broadheads. If your bow is tuned and your broadheads are grouping that what we are looking for right.

Comment

like lone wolf stated you are underspind.

underspind normally doesn't show up with a good tune until you screw a broadhead on it.

either way, you need a 300 spine. can you make the 340 spine work. yes. as long as they group then just move your site as schmacka stated.

Then after season get the correct spine.

Comment

At what distance did you paper tune?

I would say you are shooting about the best vane possible for fixed broadhead flight. I have a dozen arrows to re-fletch because I decided to switch to AAE vanes. I could not get broadheads tuned with decent arrow flight, stripped AAE off one arrow and reflected with Blazer and BINGO.

Comment

Working...
                              X