Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 07-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Randy M
Eight Point

Default 2021 Handgun Hunting Thread

Iím going to keep starting a new handgun hunting thread each year until yíall tell me to go away haha.

Killed this sow early today. 66 yard shot and instant dirt nap. Iím guessing about 100 pounds but did not weigh it. BFR in 454 Casull. 300 grain A Frame over H110. High shoulder complete pass through.

Post yours here if you got them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Cool & congrats

I have taking a whitetail with my handgun on my bucket list again this fall

Keep after it !
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Love injecting lead poison in pigs with my .41 mags.
I feel the need coming on.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
ruger41
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke Co.

I'm getting the urge to break out the pistols too. I'll have to see what I can do to contribute.
ruger41 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Don’t stop, love the handgun hunting threads. If I ever get loose from this covid crap maybe I can contribute…..
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 12:31 AM   #6
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Nice shooting, handgun hunting is challenging and interesting. Post a handgun hunting story and I for one will give it a read. Also, dig the details of the shot, the gun, the bullet load, etc., always interesting to me, thanks for starting this.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Just picked up a Ruger 9.5" 44 mag on a trade deal. I grabbed it on a stalk the other day and hesitated just a second too long before this big boar got into the brush. Will try again with it soon.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
andre3k
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Love injecting lead poison in pigs with my .41 mags.

I feel the need coming on.
Here's my model 57, which I'll be using this year. I just need to get a mold for it. Great round.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 12:47 AM   #9
John316
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comal/Guadalupe county

Name:  IMG_0657.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  36.7 KB
I’m ready.
Here’s my CVA 243 pistol.

Last edited by John316; 07-14-2021 at 12:48 AM. Reason: …
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
Randy M
Eight Point

Great pics guys. Now, let’s see these pistols next to something dead! Good luck!
Old 07-14-2021, 06:59 AM   #11
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

Makes me want to try it out, although i always carry my 357 tracker, not sure it will get it done.
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
Stick bow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Boling

I’ve been eye balling those CVA pistols just haven’t jumped on it yet . Are you satisfied with the CVA quality?
Stick bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #13
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

This year it will mostly be with 3 or 4 different ones depending on locations hunted.

Will post pics later, all have been used for hunts in the past with good success on hogs and deer plus a few coyotes when they showed up while hunting deer.

S&W PC 629 hunter package, TC Contender 7-30 Waters 14 inch Stainless, Ruger 357 Max and in short range locations 357 Mag Security 6.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #14
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
Makes me want to try it out, although i always carry my 357 tracker, not sure it will get it done.
It will absolutely get it done. Use a quality bullet and keep shots to 50ish. Try it just once and I think youíll really enjoy it. Good luck! Pics!!
Old 07-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #15
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:

It don't take much to kill a Texas Whitetail. I mean, we do it with arrows.

I've seen a few .357s take down a few whitetails. Even with the Federal 125gr. Those things are Hot! But I'm sure there's more than that out there now. I prefer the 158gr JSP. And they will penetrate a little more on pigs.

And Like Randy M said, keep your shots inside 50 and you shouldn't have any problem. You could probably reach out a little further on Texas whitetails. But that's just me.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

I am inspired to try it,for sure
Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #17
Looney Tatonka
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

How much is your holdover on a 66 yd shot?
Looney Tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #18
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

This will be my first year pistol hunting and I’ve got a whole mess of contenders to play with hopefully I can knock down a few pigs and deer. Need to find a hog hunting spot where they make day time appearances.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #19
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney Tatonka View Post
How much is your holdover on a 66 yd shot?
With this particular gun, zero. In fact this is what Iíll be chasing elk with in Wyoming later this fall. The 300 grain load Iíve worked up leaves the barrel at 1709 FPS. Itís zeroíd at 100 and drops 7Ē at 150. From 0 - 125 I calculate nothing.

Thanks for asking!
Old 07-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #20
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

dang 300 grain. is that a helluva kick?
Old 07-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #21
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
It'll wake you up on a cold morning, but honestly so much of handling recoil comes down to grip design and how you, yourself grip the gun. Most people give big bore handguns a death grip which is a perfect recipe for horrible accuracy and painful recoil. It still gets your attention, but with good technique it's not that bad.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #22
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
I'm trying to put this into words to help you visualize my approach. And I'm by no means an expert - this just really works well for me.

If grip pressure was on a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being almost nothing and 10 being the death grip, I'd say mine is somewhere around a 5 or 6 at most. Firm, but pretty light when you think about the ballistics of a 454.

Also, a consistent grip is vital. Same exact grip. Every. Single. Time.

Finally...the gun was designed to recoil. I let it do it's thing. The less I try to control or 'ride' the recoil, the less it hurts. The Bisley grip also helps a lot in my opinion, to mitigate recoil on the hard kickers.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #23
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

So is it necessary to hot rod pistol rounds? I am having trouble shooting full power 240gr 44 magnum loads out of a very light contender pistol, loads are running 1700+\- fps.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #24
John316
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comal/Guadalupe county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick bow View Post
Iíve been eye balling those CVA pistols just havenít jumped on it yet . Are you satisfied with the CVA quality?
Ive had 2 CVA rifles and one pistol. The rifles both shot under an inch at 100 yards. I just got the pistol sighted in and shot a few 3 shot groups. I dont have a lot of experience shooting this type of pistol, but I managed to get a few 3 shot groups that were 1-3/4Ē @ 100 yards. The trigger pull on my CVAs are Crisp breaking, around 2.5 pounds. The quality has been very good IMO. The first rifle I bought, had some intermittent misfiring issues. I sent it back to CVA and the sent me a new rifle. Evidently they cut the chamber too deep and resulted in light primer strikes.
For the money, I dont think you will find anything in the same ballpark as far as quality goes IMO. I paid $338 for mine, plus tax, scope and rings.
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #25
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
So is it necessary to hot rod pistol rounds? I am having trouble shooting full power 240gr 44 magnum loads out of a very light contender pistol, loads are running 1700+\- fps.
Great question. The short answer is 'it depends'. Things like bullet choice, desired game (deer vs. elk, etc), shot distance, etc. But...let me make a few assumptions and it'll help explain.

I'm going to assume you want to hunt Texas deer and hogs up to 150 lbs., out to about 150 yards. I'm also going to assume the 240 grain bullet you are referring to is the Hornady XTP. If any of these change, the answer potentially does too.

Ok, the 240 grain .44 mag Hornady XTP starts expanding at about 900 FPS. So based on that, even if you backed your load down to a muzzle velocity of 1500 fps, you are still most likely over 1000 fps as far as 200 yards. So, the answer here is you can absolutely back off and still accomplish your goals. Technically, you could even go slower but depending on what powder you are using, I'd be REAL careful about going too light of a charge.

If this doesn't make sense, or, you want to talk more about it, please send me a PM. I'm happy to help with what I've learned. Far from an expert but have been a 99.9% handgun hunter for the past 20ish years.

Glad to help in any way I can.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #26
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=789121
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #27
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy M View Post
Great question. The short answer is 'it depends'. Things like bullet choice, desired game (deer vs. elk, etc), shot distance, etc. But...let me make a few assumptions and it'll help explain.

I'm going to assume you want to hunt Texas deer and hogs up to 150 lbs., out to about 150 yards. I'm also going to assume the 240 grain bullet you are referring to is the Hornady XTP. If any of these change, the answer potentially does too.

Ok, the 240 grain .44 mag Hornady XTP starts expanding at about 900 FPS. So based on that, even if you backed your load down to a muzzle velocity of 1500 fps, you are still most likely over 1000 fps as far as 200 yards. So, the answer here is you can absolutely back off and still accomplish your goals. Technically, you could even go slower but depending on what powder you are using, I'd be REAL careful about going too light of a charge.

If this doesn't make sense, or, you want to talk more about it, please send me a PM. I'm happy to help with what I've learned. Far from an expert but have been a 99.9% handgun hunter for the past 20ish years.

Agree and for deer and hogs you do not need that much IMO. I have killed them just fine with 44 special loads but no shots were over 60 yards. Hard cast 240gr bullet with a large Meplat will do the job and leave an exit hole on deer and hogs almost all the time from what I have seen. A .429 inch bullet bludgeoning its way through does not generally drop them on the spot "Unless CNS is hit" but does penetrate well and does more damage on its way through than many would think.

My favorite .357 bullet is the old discontinues 180gr Nosler Partition, never recovered one from deer or hog and have shot through shoulders and back bone on hogs that were a little over 200lbs with it. When my supply of those runs out I will probably switch to the Swift 180gr A-Frame for the 357 Mag and 357 Max.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #28
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:

For the most part you are spot on.

I do have the 240gr xtps but havenít loaded them yet Iíve been trying to learn the gun using 240gr berry plated bullets but just canít seem to get consistent with the gun what so ever.

Iím going to move the targe closer next time to say 25-30 yards. Iíve been shooting at 75 yards. I can very easily group moa or better with my 30-30 contender at that distance using a super 14 barrel. My 44 is a 10-12Ē barrel, both have a red dot sight.

I think the issue is a two part issue.
1. Iím just not that great of a handgun shot.
2. Iím recoil sensitive with the 44 I think and keep jerking the trigger.

My 30-30 frame has a much better trigger so I may swap frames and try that out.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #29
Blkarge
Nubbin' Buck

That’s awesome!
Blkarge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #30
imyomama
Ten Point

knock knock! who's there ? 300blk pistol braced ar15! .... thread over!
seriously though .. i've taken a doe from 54 yards with a glock 17 long slide 9mm .. a buck from 65 with a ruger gp100 357 and red dot , a pig from 64 with a glock 20 10mm, a turkey from the gp100 , red dot at 60 yards , and another turkey with a tc contender in 223, red dot from 60 ish yards... also used to shoot alligator gars and water moccasins at the river bottoms with 357 ruger open sight 30 years ago ... before people got uptight for shooting at the trinity river bottoms...

back in the day , i used to shoot the nra hunter pistol matches all the time at the club .. 40,50 75 and 100 meters, off hand of course , we are men afterall ... that's the best way in my opinion to get good at it ... practice practice , and more practice.... once you got that and understand ballistics .. you have the perfect recipe for success ... didn't hurt that my TC pistols has a 7 and 8 ounce trigger respectively....
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #31
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Not really. I'm shooting a Barnes 225 gr xpb out 44 mag Super Blackhawk at 1,325 fps. Last years 57 yard broadside on a 150ish pound fork dropped him. The bullet passed though both sides of rib cage and lodged just under the skin on the far side. Recoil is almost mild. Randy brought up a good resource, check your reloading manual for velocity range, stay in that range and it should work.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #32
Chad C
Pope & Young

I'm going to get back into handgun hunting this season, my son has been knocking them down the last couple years with his 300 Blackout.... So, I got a wild hair and snatched up one of the CVA threaded 11.5" Scout V2 pistols in 300 Blackout that I can put a can on to use when hunting with my little dude. Currently trying to decide if I want to go with the Leupold FX II 4x28 or Loopy VX III 2.5-8x32. I'm leaning towards the 4x28.

Last edited by Chad C; 08-19-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #33
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
I'm going to get back into handgun hunting this season, my son has been knocking them down the last couple years with his 300 Blackout.... So, I got a wild hair and snatched up one of the CVA threaded 11.5" Scout V2 pistols in 300 Blackout that I can put a can on to use when hunting with my little dude. Currently trying to decide if I want to go with the Leupold FX II 4x28 or Loopy VX III 2.5-8x32. I'm leaning towards the 4x28.
Go with the 2.5x8. When I started hunting with my 7-30 Waters it had a fixed 4 power on it and was too strong for the closer shots. Swapped it out for a 2x7 and have been very happy. Leave it on 2, if you need to turn it up to 7 for a longer shot it's a quick twist.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #34
DoveBlaster
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County, Anywhere

Recently picked up a Ruger Redhawk in the classifieds, think Iíve settled in on a load;
Hornady Brass
Fed 155
23.5 Win 296
And some older Nosler 240 HPs I found

Iím loving most everything about the pistol besides the trigger, can yíall advise me of a local gun smith who can slick this trigger up?
Thanks in advance.

DoveBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #35
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveBlaster View Post
Recently picked up a Ruger Redhawk in the classifieds, think Iíve settled in on a load;
Hornady Brass
Fed 155
23.5 Win 296
And some older Nosler 240 HPs I found

Iím loving most everything about the pistol besides the trigger, can yíall advise me of a local gun smith who can slick this trigger up?
Thanks in advance.

Great choice all around. Very similar to the load I use in my 44.

I donít know any smiths by you butÖhow mechanically inclined are you? RedHawks are really simple to work on yourself if you are up for it. You can order spring kits from any of the major suppliers like Midway/Brownells/etc. And then do the trigger job yourself.

A few tips if you choose to go this routeÖtake pics with your phone as you remove screws and parts. It will help if you run into a head scratcher when putting it back together. Secondly, while inside clean and polish (without removing metal) all moving parts.

Youíll be surprised at how easy this is and how awesome the results can be.

Worst case scenario is you get it apart and canít get it back together (highly doubt this will happen), then take all the parts to a smith to reassemble.

Good luck! Pics are appreciated as well!
Old 08-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #36
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I’m finally able to contribute to the hand cannon hunting club. Recently came across a Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag. I’m hoping to take my first big game with it this season.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #37
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Bound View Post
Iím finally able to contribute to the hand cannon hunting club. Recently came across a Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag. Iím hoping to take my first big game with it this season.
I hope I can also. I happened onto a decently priced Freedom Arms model 83 in .44 mag and a Ruger SBH Hunter in the same caliber. If I can get some pigs in front of meÖÖ.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #38
DoveBlaster
Ten Point

Quote:
Great choice all around. Very similar to the load I use in my 44.

I donít know any smiths by you butÖhow mechanically inclined are you? RedHawks are really simple to work on yourself if you are up for it. You can order spring kits from any of the major suppliers like Midway/Brownells/etc. And then do the trigger job yourself.

A few tips if you choose to go this routeÖtake pics with your phone as you remove screws and parts. It will help if you run into a head scratcher when putting it back together. Secondly, while inside clean and polish (without removing metal) all moving parts.

Youíll be surprised at how easy this is and how awesome the results can be.

Worst case scenario is you get it apart and canít get it back together (highly doubt this will happen), then take all the parts to a smith to reassemble.

Good luck! Pics are appreciated as well!

Thanks for the reply!
This is her

Can you provide a link to the spring kits you speak of?

Itís shooting sub 1in groups at 25 yards as is but the trigger is super heavy and Iím hopeful groups will tighten up with a lighter trigger pull.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #39
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Bound View Post
Iím finally able to contribute to the hand cannon hunting club. Recently came across a Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag. Iím hoping to take my first big game with it this season.
Nice! Show us a pic and good luck this season!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #40
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
This is her

Itís shooting sub 1in groups at 25 yards as is but the trigger is super heavy and Iím hopeful groups will tighten up with a lighter trigger pull.

Outstanding revolver! Thanks for the pic.

Ok I assumed you had a super Redhawk not the standard Redhawk. This is a single spring system vs the dual in the super. Still easy to change but not sure on what to order. Look up Wilson Combat and call their customer service. I know they have what you need and you can order directly from them.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #41
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger41 View Post
I'm getting the urge to break out the pistols too. I'll have to see what I can do to contribute.
Exactly what Ize thinkin'. Time to dust off the ol super blackhawk and put a .44 sized hole in something and pitch in a little!
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #42
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
This is her

Now that is just cool DoveBlaster, good luck using that fine revolver.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #43
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Love the old style Redhawks!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #44
kcmarullo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I have a 8'' Colt Anaconda that I will be using this year !
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #45
chrisk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarullo View Post
I have a 8'' Colt Anaconda that I will be using this year !
I had one several years ago. One of those ďwish I hadnít soldĒ guns. Now I have a Glock 40 MOS that I want to take a few animals with.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #46
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

My 10mm will be getting the call this season. My FIL harvested a doe with his last year, so I'm going give her a go this year. I've taken several hogs with it, and I figure hogs are a little tougher than deer, so if the stars align just right, I'll send it.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #47
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

41 Magnum Hog Buster is fun during doe and spike season but more funerer making pigs squeal. Shooting from a solid rest this one is deadly out to 100yds with 270gr hard cast SWC handloads. Love hearing that bullet smack in a hogs shoulder.
Attached Images

muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #48
Randy M
Eight Point

Nice gun pics fellas! Thanks for sharing them! And best of luck this season.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #49
DoveBlaster
Ten Point

Quote:
Outstanding revolver! Thanks for the pic.

Ok I assumed you had a super Redhawk not the standard Redhawk. This is a single spring system vs the dual in the super. Still easy to change but not sure on what to order. Look up Wilson Combat and call their customer service. I know they have what you need and you can order directly from them.

Looks like Iím going to give the Wolff spring kit and some 240gr XTPs a try. I bought a box of factory 240 gr XTP to shoot (currently re-loading said brass) and never put it on paper, only shot steel. Iím praying they shoot as I am running low on the older nosler 240 soft hollow points I stumbled on. I also snagged a case holder for my L.E. Wilson trimmer to uniform my case length/ crimp. All and all precision pistol reloading and shooting has been great fun. I look forward to knocking something over this year once I settle on powder charge/ bullet. Good luck to all this season

Old 09-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #50
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default 44 mag

Finally grabbed a picture of my new toy. For those shooting deer and pigs 75-100 yards, do you have any issues? My first 6 rounds at 50 were tight enough for me to be pleased with. This thing shoots like a dream.
Attached Images

88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top