Athletes with Hernia Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athletes with Hernia Surgery

Any athletes here ever have an umbilical hernia surgery before?

How long is the recovery and when can I resume activity. Obviously "normal" activity doesn't fit the bill of what I do. I understand I may not be chasing PRs for a while but not lifting is not an option.

I have something the size of a pencil eraser that wants to come out of my umbilical region. Started a month ago I think. I can still push it back in and there is no pain or discomfort associated with it. We move into a new home in two weeks of less (we will be using movers but there is still the finishing touches) and I need to get my buck. Hoping in the next two weeks to book something, already know my doctor.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ætheling; 10-25-2021, 01:12 PM.

I had an inguinal hernia from either playing racket ball in college, or doing ju jitsu. I noticed it every time I'd lung for the ball when playing racket ball. It was one of those hernias that they are looking for when they tell you to cough during a physical exam lol. The general surgeon I had to the operation has sense lost his license to do that kind of stuff apparently. My scar is worse than my wife's c-section scar after having 2 kids! I was miserable for about a week. My buddy had the same type hernia you're talking about and he pretty dang sore for about a week as well. I'd hold off on having anything done until you're done hunting, and moving. BUT if it starts to hurt I'd go to doctor immediately because I don't think its something to play with. I think it was like 6 weeks before I could resume any regular physical activity.

Comment

I had this surgery done two years ago. PM me for details.

Comment

I had surgery done on a Friday, on Monday I was on the treadmill, following week light weights, following week heavy again.

Drink lots of water, follow the recovery instructions, stay out of the meds (I can't take meds or I get sick, maybe you can) you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          I had surgery done on a Friday, on Monday I was on the treadmill, following week light weights, following week heavy again.

Drink lots of water, follow the recovery instructions, stay out of the meds (I can't take meds or I get sick, maybe you can) you will be fine.
          Hell yeah, this is what I like to hear.

Comment

My wife just had this done a month ago and she is basically back to 100%

Comment

I have an umbilical hernia that was discovered during a yearly physical exam 20yrs ago. The Dr then told me not to worry about it unless it starts to bother me and that it was very common, so that’s what I did. Still not fixed, and not planning to get it fixed unless it starts hurting.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had one that my doctor told me not to worry about and to continue doing anything I want without restrictions. Squat, deadlift etc.

When my appendix started acting up they removed the appendix and fixed the hernia at the same time. I took about a week off but my surgeon said I had no restrictions and could resume normal activity when I wanted.

Comment

Man, a pencil eraser is tiny. A surgeon may not even want to touch it as long as it is reduced easily. Go see a good general surgeon and ask them about recovery. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                    Hell yeah, this is what I like to hear.
                    I was also 23...One thing that Bisch, JT, and RR said, if the Dr says you can fix it, or be careful with what you do and not fix it, then I would choose the second option.

If I get dehydrated, mine aches. If I had to much to drink, it aches. It's not unbearable, but if I had it to do again, I would definitely think twice.

Comment

I had 3 repaired at once ( 1 was umbilical I had since I was a baby it seems) and my sack was the size of a grapefruit for over a week. Took literally 6 weeks or more to get close to normal. Not trying to scare you, just my experience. I had laparoscopic and was expecting a quick recovery. I was running 20+ miles a week at the time and in really good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        Man, a pencil eraser is tiny. A surgeon may not even want to touch it as long as it is reduced easily. Go see a good general surgeon and ask them about recovery. Good luck.
                        My worry is it will continue to tear. I go pretty heavy on the 3 power lifts.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Feel much better about this. Hopefully it will be light on the pain side.

Comment

I had robotic laparoscopic surgery on one hernia that was exposed and three hernias that were internal and all in the same area. I was walking one mile 3 days later and lifting within 6 weeks. The recovery is based on type of surgical technique. Robotic and laparoscopic is much faster recovery than cutting direct thru abdominal muscle.

Lots of internal sutures in both techniques, but I'd highly recommend going robotic and laparoscopic route, less trauma. I worked with a top 10 ranked power lifter in 242, he had similar surgery came back too early, had a re do that kept him sidelined from lifting anything for 9 months.

Comment

I had one repaired back when I was racing "Tri"s. And coaching, and personal training. Had the fold done. It was tight for a while. And I always felt a little stick in there every now and then. Then, 6 years later, after I left the health and fitness industry, and quit racing, and fell way out of shape, I had an employer that had me lifting 330cf gas bottles to put back in a rack. I still remember the day it gave way. And the little "stick" was gone. Now, I have a very large abdominal abnormality that I can push back in, that needs repair.
                              I've been helping another young feller along who wants to do a Tri. He's a Corss-Fit instructor. And just had one repaired with the mesh. He's back to the norm. But had to lay out and let it heal completely before going back to lifting. He got his lifting also. He just finished a 13 mile Spartan race this weekend. And like labman above, his was robotic laparoscopy with mesh.
                              Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-25-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X