Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?Riding Mower/Lawn Tractor Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?Riding Mower/Lawn Tractor Recommendations?

Ok GS, those of you that are well versed in riding lawn mowers and lawn "Tractors" I am looking for some recommendations. The little lady started talking about buying a riding lawn mower. So of course I am not arguing. I immediately pitch the idea of getting one for dual use. One for the yard .5 ac in size and one we can use on out little place out side of town. Just a quick look at a couple articles and some reviews and what is available in the area is looked like club cadet, husqvarna, and maybe JD are the better options. Staying at or under $2500 what make, model, and HP would the GS recommend??

Yard use: mow, get a small spray tank trailer to pull and spray for weeds, pull fertilizer spreader, pull lawn mower dump trailer etc.. do whatever lawn care contractors do.

Hunting property use: mow trails to stands/blinds, mow yard, use a small 40" disc for food plots, small box blade to level roads/yard/plots, use a little spray tank trailer to spray weeds, spray along roads for brush, spray/fertilize food plots/yard, pull small dump trailer possibly 5x8 utility trailer.

Thanks for the input in advance!!!

I dont even know anymore. you need a zero turn... and a 4 wheeler or UTV it sounds like.

Youll beat these "lawn tractors" of today to death at your place outside of town they are junk.

Just being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
      I dont even know anymore. you need a zero turn... and a 4 wheeler or UTV it sounds like.

Youll beat these "lawn tractors" of today to death at your place outside of town they are junk.

Just being honest.
      Agreed. Using the term tractor is a misnomer. The only semblance they have to a tractor is the shape. Functionally they are a finish lawnmower for level or very gently sloping ground.

Comment

The lawn tractor will work good around the house but for the hunting property you will probably need more. I've got a JD 130 at our hunting property and probably do more with it than I should but it is much easier with the Polaris or tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
          Agreed. Using the term tractor is a misnomer. The only semblance they have to a tractor is the shape. Functionally they are a finish lawnmower for level or very gently sloping ground.
          Yep the days of the 70s and 80s model "lawn tractor" is long gone.

There used to be more iron in the key on those lawn tractors than what's in one of these whole pieces of junk nowadays.

Comment

A kubota bx with a belly mower would handle everything you want to do.

Comment

Under $2500? Pawn shop every couple years.

Comment

Your price of $2500 doesn't sound like it will get what your looking for at the hunting property.

As for your yard. I will always recommend a welded deck. Those stamped decks simply don't hold up the same as a welded deck.

Good luck

Comment

A John Deere 1025r or 1023e will do what you are wanting, but for the tractor and the implements you will need you can add another 0 to the budget.

Comment

I understand what everyone is saying and I totally agree but I am not talking about actual tillage heavy seed bed prep and planting milo wheat or cotton commodity crops etc....haha
                    I am talking about small areas .5ac or less poor man food plots, 25gal sprayer, leveling out minor ruts in the road, and using attachments actually made for a riding lawn mower nothing heavy duty. I am thinking a lot lighter duty work than what most of yall are thinking.

Last edited by DuramaxDude; 10-07-2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                      I understand what everyone is saying and I totally agree but I am not talking about actual tillage heavy seed bed prep and planting milo wheat or cotton commodity crops etc....haha
                      I am talking about small areas .5ac or less poor man food plots, 25gal sprayer, leveling out minor ruts in the road, and using attachments actually made for a riding lawn mower nothing heavy duty.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/Compar...45%3F%24456%24
                      I have a husqvarna "lawn tractor" and of the things you show listed, it could probably pull the broadcast spreader. Maybe the sprayer if you didn't fill it up all the way. No way it could do the other implements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                        I have a husqvarna "lawn tractor" and of the things you show listed, it could probably pull the broadcast spreader. Maybe the sprayer if you didn't fill it up all the way. No way it could do the other implements.
                        Dang really? Growing up my dad had an old junky I think craftsman that lasted us forever and we had a little dump trailer we hauled grass limbs dirt and gravel with it all the time. That was 20 years ago though.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                          Dang really? Growing up my dad had an old junky I think craftsman that lasted us forever and we had a little dump trailer we hauled grass limbs dirt and gravel with it all the time. That was 20 years ago though.
                          Sorry, just don't think it would do it. They don't have gears like the old ones and traction is terrible because of the turf tires. Mine will get stuck on wet grass if there if much slope.

Comment

Working...
                          X