Mandatory CWD sampling in Lubbock and surrounding counties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory CWD sampling in Lubbock and surrounding counties

I know there aren’t many hunters in this area, but CWD was found in a deer in the canyon east of Lubbock, consequently there is mandatory testing for parts of Lubbock, Crosby, Garza and lynn counties

This hunting season, all CWD-susceptible species harvested within the zone will be required to have tissue samples collected for CWD testing within 48 hours of harvest.

Sure hope it was a fluke and that it’s not wide spread

Comment

If people would quit moving deer like cattle then it would have never spread

Comment

There's a noticeable drop in the deer population on my place this year. Between the freeze and the possibility of cwd I'm not sure what to think. Definently less deer density though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          The CWD zones are a 5 mile radius from where the positive deer was located. They will keep the zone in tact for five years unless they find more positives. If they find another positive, they extend it another five years from that positive test.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
            If people would quit moving deer like cattle then it would have never spread
            This was a free ranging mule deer...

the same species and part of the state that CWD was originally found in texas.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              It's been in the panhandle for a long time. I hunt a ranch just NW of Amarillo that had two elk test positive. Elk came out of New Mexico. CWD has nothing to do with high fences or breeders. Sure breeding(transporting) can help spread it faster but it's been in the far North and far West longer than its been South of San Antonio.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                This was a free ranging mule deer...

the same species and part of the state that CWD was originally found in texas.
                It was found between El Paso and Cornudas originally.

Comment

west texas = west texas

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    It's been in the panhandle for a long time. I hunt a ranch just NW of Amarillo that had two elk test positive. Elk came out of New Mexico. CWD has nothing to do with high fences or breeders. Sure breeding(transporting) can help spread it faster but it's been in the far North and far West longer than its been South of San Antonio.
                    CWD wasn't created or caused by breeders. But, breeders have significantly expanded the range and prevalence of the disease.

Comment

also includes a large area near Lake Tawakoni and North of Terrell.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        west texas = west texas

LOL
                        Amarillo and El Paso are not the same West Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                          CWD wasn't created or caused by breeders. But, breeders have significantly expanded the range and prevalence of the disease.
                          Dont disagree but they didn't bring it to the State.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                            Dont disagree but they didn't bring it to the State.
                            I would agree with this too, initial cases walked in from from New Mexico. But the south Texas (except for Del Rio which appears to have been the result of moving infected carcasses), Central Texas, Coastal Texas, and North Texas (not Panhandle) came from breeders. Once the trace-outs are complete from these facilities and release sites, I imagine the situation will be even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                              I would agree with this too, initial cases walked in from from New Mexico. But the south Texas (except for Del Rio which appears to have been the result of moving infected carcasses), Central Texas, Coastal Texas, and North Texas (not Panhandle) came from breeders. Once the trace-outs are complete from these facilities and release sites, I imagine the situation will be even worse.
                              Exactly. The last breeder with one didn't get it tested until nine months after it died. And in the mean time shipped deer that were probably infected all over the state.

Comment

Working...
                              X