Writing off a thermal on your taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing off a thermal on your taxes

Sitting here drinking coffee and it just popped in my head. Has anybody wrote off a thermal for ag purposes to protect your cattle, hay field, or crops from hogs. It seems like a legit expense to protect your property from hogs that can do thousands of dollars of damage to your property a year.

Give it a shot!

Comment

Happens all the time

Comment

What about your gun and bullet's

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

This ^^^^^

No reason to stop at just the scope with that logic.

I’m only on my hunting lease to help out with the States hog epidemic. Maybe I could write that off too

Comment

I was told a farmer in AR bought several nice shotguns and ammo with no tax and wrote them all off for shooting the blackbirds that were depredating his rice crop.

In the off season he used same guns to shoot ducks and geese

It can be done legally (writing off thermal, gun, maybe ammo) I'm sure but I would keep detailed records. Dates, numbers killed, location, time, etc just in case the gov folks have any questions

Comment

Yes. Document rooting damage with pictures. Keep pictures of hogs taken. I only use my thermal on my ranch, and I do not attempt to claim firearms or ammo.

Comment

You know thinking gets you in trouble...

Let me know if the tax man comes calling. As you know I'm considering one in the future as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tugboat View Post
                  Sitting here drinking coffee and it just popped in my head. Has anybody wrote off a thermal for ag purposes to protect your cattle, hay field, or crops from hogs. It seems like a legit expense to protect your property from hogs that can do thousands of dollars of damage to your property a year.
                  It's part of varmint control. So yes. And it's not really fake if you buy a gun and ammo to kill varmints. Not just pigs but coyotes and raccoons etc.

Comment

No NOT legal.

Comment

You'll also need to pattern the hogs so it will be important to know the exact time. With this logic, let's buy a Rolex and write-off the cost.

Will this increase our chance of being audited? Absolutely...

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        No NOT legal.
                        How is it not legal?

I'm not a CPA or tax lawyer...

But I would assume if you own the farm or ranch and use ammo to kill predators/varmints you could write the expense off.

But if one leases or owns land but is not really ranching then it would not be legal.

Comment

Everything is legal. Until you get caught.

Comment

Yes you can write it off, every farmer I know does it and I have also.

We also write off helicopter hog hunts on our farms, been doing it for years
                            Last edited by RMW; 01-23-2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I wrote mine off.

Comment

Working...
                              X