out of a climber shoot sitting down or standing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to climbers most of my hunting has been done out of ladder stands or ground blinds. just curious as to if you stand up or sit down to shoot. seems the bar will get in the way and standing up will make noise as you move the seat back. Im kind of wishing i would have got an open shot. im not a real big guy but i still feel cramped in a climber. ive owned 2 summit viper ss and always got rid of them before i even tried them out. i see how a climber can help you on public land. just still not totally comfotable in a climber. i make sure im attatched to the tree up and down via tether and have the bottom and top portion tethered as well. im still not set on climbers yet

The only deer I ever shot out of my climber in high school was a doe and I was sitting down turned around shooting behind me. They came running down a trail I was set up on and I didn't have time to stand up. The old doe right under me sure got an uneasy feeling when I started drawing back. But I always practiced to be standing up.

Comment

I'm not tethered going up and down. I know I should be. I stand during prime time and very rarely do I get busted when I go from sitting to standing. Usually at the first sign of a deer coming in I will stand up.

Comment

If your climber has a bar in front then you will need to stand up to shoot unless you shoot offf you week hand side. If you climber is open you can shoot out the front sitting but it is difficult and you need to practice it. I stand to shoot 95% of the time. As far as noise goings you need to make you stand as quite as possible by putting plactic washers between every movable joint, no metal on metal. Also if you strap in the foot platform as well as the seat platform it will really reduce the noise a lot. Good Luck and God Bless

Comment

I have always sat down while shooting. The mesquites are so thick where i hunt that I'm usually surprised when they show up.

Comment

Thanks men, my stand came with plastic washers between all the joints and bolts, ive been practicing on a telephone pole until i get to the woods behind the house. i dont think telephone poles are the ideal climbing up and down

Comment

Standing, I've got a Summit Viper and the bar keeps me from shooting sitting down. But I've had a lot of success out of that stand. When animals start coming in I just ease out of my seat and stand as stealthily as possible, very rarely get busted.

Comment

what do you all think about rachet strapping both sections to the tree or cam buckles? i want that thing to be rock steady. maybe im going overboard with it i just want to feel safe when im up there

Comment

I've shot deer both ways with a bow out of a climber. I prefer to stand but sometimes the old man gets tired and sits down and a deer shows up. I always have my seat as high as I can to make sure I'm not bumping up against the climber.

Comment

When u get on a tree and off that telephone pole u will see how well they will bite and hold. I climbed a telephone pole ONCE and will never do it again. I could tell that it was not biting good. Scared the crap out of me. I prefer to shoot standing but have had to do it sitting. Restricts your shot availability when sitting. I stand as soon as I see deer movement. I always check as soon as I get setup and sitting comfortably I will stand up to make sure there are no creaks or pops.

Comment

Always shoot standing out a summit viper. Wear a safety harness and ratchet strapped are not needed. Once you climb a few times you will realize how much they bite into the tree.
                      Last edited by donfish84; 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Whatever i gotta do...

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                          Whatever i gotta do...
                          ^^^this^^^

Comment

Both if needed.

Comment

I have never tried standing up. One of our friends does and I was just thinking about this the other day when I was shooting. I practice shooting in a chair so that I can shoot from my tree stand in my seat.... I might try to stand if a pig comes in and see if I can get away with it..

Comment

Working...
                              X