Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #251
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

I grew up south of Houston and lived in Rosharon along the brazos river for a few years. I was probably 11 or 12 and one day when we had family in town we wanted them to see all the deer at Brazos state park so we drove down for the afternoon. On the way home about 45 minutes before sunset I couldnít control myself and had my mom pull over to relieve myself (hardly anything or anyone around) I got out of the truck and ran off the dirt road into some bushes to pee and as a typical joke they drove off to try and scare me. Iíd been through that before so I wasnít worried and kept on tending to my business. As they took off I heard someone running towards me from the river which was about 200 yards away. It was just dark enough under the trees that I couldnít make out a face real well but at first I thought it was my cousin trying to scare me. Once a body actually appeared about 40 yards away I realized I had no idea who this person was but they were looking dead at me. I took off running faster than Iíve ran before, and booked it for the road. At this point my folks were turning around a couple hundred yards down the road in a small church parking lot and I had already covered some ground. They pulled up laughing as I jumped in scared as could be and told them to take off. I briefly gave them the run down and and I couldnít see where the man I thought was following me had ran to, then as we pulled off on the other side of the road standing still underneath a small oak tree was a man just calmly watching us drive away. To this day donít know who that was or what he was chasing me for but I stayed on my end of sandy point for the rest of our time in Rosharon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #252
lovetohunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I ran outta bullets once.

Skinny
Did you hit anything?
lovetohunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #253
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
If I ever decide to grow marijuana, Iíll hope I can find a side kick named something cool like uncle Junebug
It was a feeble attempt to get rich. I aint even sure what we was growing. We dont even know who hollered at us, heck we was just a bunch of teenagers getting ready to go the military and was always in some sort of trouble. Mom and dad had the Navy recruiter at the kitchen table the day I turned 18. They said one heathen gone and three to go. Lol.

My Uncle is still alive and aint that much older than me, and he still wild. When that movie Boggy Creek came out me and ol June Bug was always seeing bigfoots in the woods
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #254
Nolove
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Medina County

[QUOTE=Dale Moser;13549990]I saw that one from the 10th floor or so of a Ft Worth building looking SW. We were at my cousins wedding, everyone accused me of being a little to deep in my cup as well. (I was)

I looked it up the following Monday and found some dash cam footage from San Antone. I bet it was some kind of bright in rural Medina County.

Sent from my iPhone using
Interesting you saw it from there. It was bright, like entering the atmosphere on fire bright. That was a crazy week and the whole green light thing got lost in the shuffle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Nolove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #255
Hookset
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman

As 8th graders, My friend, who later became an Airborne Ranger and chief of police, went out hunting one night. We were about a mile from the house, and maybe 5 miles from the Sabine river (close to the Tawakoni dam) when my fearless dog got into a short but intense fight with something. Our kitchen flashlights would only shine maybe 10' so we had no idea what it was, but that dog came running back to me and it was scared. That was the first and only time I ever saw fear in that dog. So Bryan and I decide it was time to head back to the house. We had traveled maybe 50 yards, and just crossed a small drainage ditch at the mouth of the woods when something big came out of the tree and crash into the ditch behind us. We turned around, but our flashlights were not bright enough to make out what it was. The only thing I can tell you is it was over 5 foot tall. We ran maybe 20 yards, I turned around and I could tell it was coming out of the woods following in our direction. I fired my trusty single shot 20 gauge with #8 birdshot over its head, then turned and ran all the way home, hurdling ever fence. I had no idea Bryan could not hurdle a fence. After about 5 mins and Bryan still wasn't home I started to get worried, but he soon made it back. Scared as white as a ghost, we both were. parents had a blast with us. Bryan still tells his side of the story. Truth is bigger than a man card sometimes.
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #256
Usdi Yonv
Six Point

Timber rattlers.
Usdi Yonv is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #257
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

What about vicious women? Anyone left for that reason?
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #258
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksalot View Post
What about vicious women? Anyone left for that reason?

Back when I was single...they called, I loaded the truck!

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #259
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Understood.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #260
dbpredator
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lamar county

Interesting thread. Don't think I've ever left the woods before it was time to leave.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
dbpredator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #261
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Mexican food from the night before had caused me to leave a blind more than once.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #262
spread5150
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

About 6 illegals that popped out in west Texas. Worried me trough the night also.
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #263
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR≤ View Post
Have there been any more leads on him? One of my friends dad was a diver for the Emergency Corp back in the 90's. I can recall him going out and looking for a man around the late 90's but they never found him. Makes me wonder if this was the man they were looking for.

No sir, pretty much a closed case. Tons of irony involved with the whole deal. Iíd imagine theres only 2 people thatíll ever know what really happened.

jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #264
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Many years ago I left our lease near Morgan a early to go on a date with a girl I'd been talking with for a while. I should have stayed and hunted, ex-wife #2.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #265
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
Many years ago I left our lease near Morgan a early to go on a date with a girl I'd been talking with for a while. I should have stayed and hunted, ex-wife #2.
I don't recall ever regretting my decision....but I never left birds flyin, or bucks ruttin to do so......never married any of'em either.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #266
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

High fever and breaking out with chicken pox.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #267
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Nightfall, lightning storms, no deer movement.
I forgot a couple,heat, yeah heat will make me leave, just like extreme cold. Anything in the 20s and Im outta there....or in my ground blind.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #268
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Good thread!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #269
Legdog
Pope & Young

My brother Farmdog and I were driving the Kenedy Pasture near Armstrong off Hwy 77. The brush was jumping with the rut and chasing doe tracks were everywhere in the sandy coastal soil.

Unfortunately, my appendix had other plans that day. Farmdog wasnít hearing it but eventually I convinced him to hand me off to our parents so I could go to the ER in Weslaco. It was New Years Eve and several drunks were admitted for bouncing off their own windshields. I admit, it was mildly entertaining. I got my appendectomy wile Farmdog continued to hunt.

Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #270
Stink Bait
Four Point

Hunt In: Aquilla

Pm sent
Stink Bait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #271
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Mexico

Lightning
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #272
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
My brother Farmdog and I were driving the Kenedy Pasture near Armstrong off Hwy 77. The brush was jumping with the rut and chasing doe tracks were everywhere in the sandy coastal soil.

Unfortunately, my appendix had other plans that day. Farmdog wasnít hearing it but eventually I convinced him to hand me off to our parents so I could go to the ER in Weslaco. It was New Years Eve and several drunks were admitted for bouncing off their own windshields. I admit, it was mildly entertaining. I got my appendectomy wile Farmdog continued to hunt.

"Hunt"...

Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #273
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

I was bird hunting in Grainger with a Bohemian fellow from there that worked for me. We came out of the woods into a clearing and there was a perfectly tramped Pentagon that was prolly the size of the star on the Dallas Cowboys field if not bigger. Perfectly tramped into the grass. Freaked him out. It was at a time when that witch stuff was heavy in Central Texas and he didnít want no part of it. End of hunt.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #274
josepht
Four Point

Hunt In: Atascosa county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove View Post
Similar, but different time of the day. I remember it vividly. It was Saturday night late on Nov 8, 2014. We were at my ranch in N. Medina County with my father, brother, best friend and my two sons. We were deep into our cups sitting around the camp fire telling old Comanche Indian stories. We were there because my 71 yr old father was going in for surgery on Monday to remove a small bit of cancer off is lung. Routine deal...

I got up to relieve myself facing to the Southwest and out of no where the sky lit up with the most beautiful emerald green burning light moving across the sky. Not too fast, but it was moving. It lasted long enough for everyone to see it. Iíd say 5-7 seconds. No noise that I can remember. Spent half a lifetime under the stars across the world and never seen something like this.

I havenít researched it much, but my father passed away due to complications from the surgery a few days later. Perfect last weekend together. I doubt related in a super natural way, but this is always an interesting fire side story with the right group.

I saw exactly what your describing one night in Pleasanton around the same time frame though it was to the northwest very bright green ball moving through the sky, crazy!
josepht is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top