Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 05-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Big Lee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas
Default Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away

I know this is beating a dead horse. But.... Which do you prefer? Pros Cons? While at the archery shop today, owner asked why I continue using a WB. I'm of the mindset if it works and not broke don't fix it. However I would like to know how many have switched and gone back. Etc. This was coupled in the conversation of possibly purchasing a new Bow. I asked if he had the one I was shooting setup with a WB so I could shoot it. He said well most folks have gone away from those. But I can help you out.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

I know of several that have gone from whisker biscuit to Drop away (QAD) but none that have done the opposite.
BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Your losing speed with that whisker . Drop away is the only way to go . And there is a ton to choose from AAP, QAD ,Rip cord just to name a few .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Neck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

I am the odd man out I guess but I like the WB.
Neck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
I know of several that have gone from whisker biscuit to Drop away (QAD) but none that have done the opposite.
This!!! With the WB the arrow is in contact with the rest for the entire length of the arrow. That is friction and less forgiving to any movement of the bow arm
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Drop away is the way to go
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

WB...less parts to fail. i certainly don't like little strings hanging places that MIGHT get caught on a limb or branch while shooting. However, I am not opposed to trying both.

Last edited by JayB; 05-21-2020 at 02:01 PM.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
6.5 shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
WB...less parts to fail. i certainly don't like little strings hanging places that MIGHT get caught on a limb or branch while shooting. However, I am not opposed to trying both.
Iíve never had a string fail or get caught on anything.
6.5 shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #9
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

Quote:
Same here. I have used many QAD drop away rest and I have yet to have a failure if I set it up right. Very easy to set up. The only trouble I have ever had was when I didn't get the rest cable tied into my bow cable correctly. Easy fix.
glpoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

been shooting drop away rest for 15 years or more.. ive always used qad because that's what the shop i go to likes.. recently I purchased a hamskea trinity limb driven and I doubt ill buy another qad..

Wb are more forgiving to use if you only shoot a couple weeks before season.. I killed several deer with one.. i found them to be noisy on a calm morning
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
i found them to be noisy on a calm morning
Agreed. Reason enough for me not to use them.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
Big Lee
Eight Point

Lots of good advice. I have only used a WB. I see the advantages of both. I see the drop away as being another moving piece. I guess what I should do is go traditional and not worry about it. Lol
Old 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

From what I've gathered on this thread alone, the difference between drop away and WB users, is that the drop away users have tried BOTH.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
Big Lee
Eight Point

Quote:
From what I've gathered on this thread alone, the difference between drop away and WB users, is that the drop away users have tried BOTH.
Yes sir. You are correct!
Old 05-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
ShaBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: A Tree

I have tried both and went back to the WB After the drop away failed on a hunt 2 weeks later. I said right then never again. Target shooting may be fine but not on a hunt for me.
ShaBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #16
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
More like...those that use the WB found something that works and don't really see the need to spend more $$ on something else that is, in essence, comparable.

.....and God Bless America.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
Big Lee
Eight Point

For a spot and stalk scenario I feel the WB out performs. Or in theory it should.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #18
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

I have used both, killed with both and still have both.

QAD Drop Away has a guard all the way around for stalking scenarios and with felt it can make for a quiet stalk. WB allows for less arrow movement while stalking and in reality you are only talking about 3-5 FPS loss. At least from my readings. Killed a pig Monday evening and the bow I used has a WB on it. No complaints whatsoever. All of my other bows have QAD and Trophy Taker Drop Aways.
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Limb driver drop
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #20
Bish
Ten Point

I was always told why just have the biscuit when you can have biscuit with gravy with a drop away.

God Bless
Bish
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #21
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

WB. It can’t fail.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #22
RJH1
Ten Point

Put me in the fall away camp. Thousands of shots on a Ripcord and a limb driver with no failures and they were both used when I got them. Add in that they are a little more forgiving, my arrows are a little faster, and the big one; MY VANES DON'T GET SCREWED UP and I don't see me going back to a WB.

PS I call a rest that tears up your vanes a failure, so IMO a WB can definitely fail and is designed to do so

Last edited by RJH1; 05-21-2020 at 09:38 PM.
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #23
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Your losing speed with that whisker .
Where can I find this data?
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #24
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Where can I find this data?
Anyone with a chrono and 2 rest:-) I gained 2 or 3 fps going to a fall away and i think that is about average. Not a huge increase, but an increase none the less. It is fairly well known, and has been written about in bow articles more than once
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 PM   #25
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
I am the odd man out I guess but I like the WB.

That makes 2 of us.

And my PSE X Fore shoots 350fps + through it too.

Plenty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

I have as well. One bow has a drop away, one has a WB. They both have no problem killing stuff.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:20 PM   #27
Trapper76
Six Point

Deer can hear the arrow on the draw cycle of a whisker biscuit on a quiet day.
Trapper76 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #28
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
Anyone with a chrono and 2 rest:-) I gained 2 or 3 fps going to a fall away and i think that is about average. Not a huge increase, but an increase none the less. It is fairly well known, and has been written about in bow articles more than once

2-3 fps is negligible. That only equates to 2" additional drop @ 40 yards assuming a 5fps reduction from 275 to 270 with a 426gr arrow and a time difference of 0.008 seconds.

My main concern would be time spent in contact with rest and arrow deviation from bow torque after release. Although I would think if fletchings were properly sized then the arrow would be able to self correct.

Now, I could be completely incorrect in my evaluations.

I shot a WB for 20 years before I bought my first Nice bow which had a QAD. Honestly I cannot tell a difference. WB work great for kiddos too! Just make sure the internal hole diameter is sized properly for the arrow diameter.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #29
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
That makes 2 of us.

And my PSE X Fore shoots 350fps + through it too.

Plenty fast.

Have you actually chronoed those speeds? I am seeing that a PSE X force IBOs at 350, but would be interested in your actual chrono results. Also, what is your draw length?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #30
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
2-3 fps is negligible. That only equates to 2" additional drop @ 40 yards assuming a 5fps reduction from 275 to 270 with a 426gr arrow and a time difference of 0.008 seconds.

My main concern would be time spent in contact with rest and arrow deviation from bow torque after release. Although I would think if fletchings were properly sized then the arrow would be able to self correct.

Now, I could be completely incorrect in my evaluations.

I shot a WB for 20 years before I bought my first Nice bow which had a QAD. Honestly I cannot tell a difference. WB work great for kiddos too! Just make sure the internal hole diameter is sized properly for the arrow diameter.
I agree that 2-3 fps is pretty pointless and the speed increase is by far the least important reason to shoot a fallaway. The forgiveness and messing up vanes are the reasons I much prefer the fallaway.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #31
Big Lee
Eight Point

Again. Lots of great info. I believe I'll stick to a WB. As it hasn't failed me yet.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #32
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

OK, while I am still considering myself "new" to archery (1.5 yrs, and I don't go as often as I would like), I feel i could speak to this.

Speed. Half of the formula for kenetic energy is velocity. The other half being mass. So the faster something can travel, the more KE it can have when hitting the target.

Accuracy. I am not and will not say WB is not accurate. However, when an arrow is practically untouched outside of the air it is traveling through, you can say factually that is is more accurate than an arrow that is being put through a small amount of stress going through a whisker biscuit. I know it is designed to go through it, but a small amount of force is still being applied, making it less accurate (not to be confused with inaccurate) than a drop away.

The one downside to a drop away that I have found is because nothing is making contact, my arrow can make noise when drawing back. I need to work on that.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #33
PlanoDano
Six Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

I use limb driven drop away. Thinking about moving to wb on backup bow. I have had two failures of drop away in the field. I try to keep things tight in the field but get surprised once in a while. Archery elk, I will cover between 9 and 15 miles a day plus navigate FS roads on motorcycle with bow strapped to my backpack. Things loosen and not everything is a candidate for lock tite.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 05:42 AM   #34
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
I went from a drop away to a biscuit.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #35
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
For a spot and stalk scenario I feel the WB out performs. Or in theory it should.
My QAD drop away has full containment
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 AM   #36
RLhunter
Spike

Hunt In: Sonora

I walked to within 30 yds of a cow elk, She started to run as I was starting to draw I bumped my arrow from the string it hung in my wb. I was able to grab - reknock the arrow and make the shot. Had I been using a drop away the arrow would have fallen to the ground and I would not have harvested the elk. The arrow had plenty of speed as it passed completely through both lungs and stuck in a tree. So for me drop away for target and wb for stalking.
RLhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #37
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

I shot several different drop aways then shot a WB for several years. The drop in speed is negligable. Maybe 2-3fps if that. I have gone back to a drop away recently. I'm a tad more accurate with the drop I believe but it has moving parts. So there is always a possibility of something going wrong...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #38
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

Swore I'd never go to a drop away. More things move, more can go wrong. Well, I've since tried a ripcord and QAD. Ripcord was ok but I love the QAD. WB is fine but I noticed an immediate improvement with accuracy with the QAD.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #39
Mike D
Pope & Young

Default Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
Have you actually chronoed those speeds? I am seeing that a PSE X force IBOs at 350, but would be interested in your actual chrono results. Also, what is your draw length?

Yes I actually chronoíd that speed multiple times. I donít shoot a peep and only had a string loop on the string. My X Force is an X Force OMen or something like that and IBO is like 358. 5Ē brace height, 70# draw, 30Ē draw length.

This is the one I have. I canít remember exact speed but I think it shot 356, thatís why I said 350 plus.

https://www.bowhunting.com/bowhunt10...orce-omen-pro/

For those saying a WB messes up vanes, I shot over 100 times through mine using either a very stiff vane like Blazers or 4 fletch low profile vanes with negligible wear.

A WB is not evil like some would like to believe.

Last edited by Mike D; 05-22-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #40
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Yes I actually chronoíd that speed multiple times. I donít shoot a peep and only had a string loop on the string. My X Force is an X Force OMen or something like that and IBO is like 358. 5Ē brace height, 70# draw, 30Ē draw length.

This is the one I have. I canít remember exact speed but I think it shot 356, thatís why I said 350 plus.

https://www.bowhunting.com/bowhunt10...orce-omen-pro/

For those saying a WB messes up vanes, I shot over 100 times through mine using either a very stiff vane like Blazers or 4 fletch low profile vanes with negligible wear.

A WB is not evil like some would like to believe.

What arrow weight are you shooting? That is a super fast bow
Old 05-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #41
Easttxbowman
Ten Point

Hamskea hybrid hunter and you won't thinking about it again. Built like tanks and extremely reliable.
Easttxbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #42
rocky
Pope & Young

Owning an archery shop for 18 years allowed me to try pretty much anything I wanted. I keep 2 identical bows set up to hunt. I set up and tuned one with a WB, and the other with a QAD. Both are fine arrow rests. At ranges to 45 yards, I couldn’t shoot the difference. I fletch my arrows with Blazer vanes with good helical, and never had vane issues with either rest. Once the moleskin on my QAD rest wore to the point I had impact change, I replaced it, and had significant impact change again. Never had that issue with my WB. I will not say that one is better than the other, but I will say that a WB is very reliable, accurate, and I can trust it.
rocky is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #43
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I like the WB!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #44
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper76 View Post
Deer can hear the arrow on the draw cycle of a whisker biscuit on a quiet day.
Then you have the wrong arrow. Mine are silent.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #45
Big Lee
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Owning an archery shop for 18 years allowed me to try pretty much anything I wanted. I keep 2 identical bows set up to hunt. I set up and tuned one with a WB, and the other with a QAD. Both are fine arrow rests. At ranges to 45 yards, I couldnít shoot the difference. I fletch my arrows with Blazer vanes with good helical, and never had vane issues with either rest. Once the moleskin on my QAD rest wore to the point I had impact change, I replaced it, and had significant impact change again. Never had that issue with my WB. I will not say that one is better than the other, but I will say that a WB is very reliable, accurate, and I can trust it.
Thank you!!! I like tried and true. Keep it simple.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #46
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
My QAD drop away has full containment
Mine does too...however...stalking through the thickets at Granger my arrows get ripped out and off the rest super easy. I used a WB before my current rig setup and it wasnt as much of a problem.

If I hunted from a tree saddle or some other exposed and elevated position which mandates various shooting angles and pitches...Id likely use the WB exclusively. The full containment of a QAD doesnt hold the shaft still and the shafts can bounce around.

Good luck Big Lee.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #47
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I shot a WB for years and still have one on my back up. It’s fail proof and has never once cause an issue. As far as speed 2-3.... that translates into.... you can’t shoot the difference ( takes 15 to see pin difference usually)

HOWEVER...here is the advantage that made me stay with drop away (and I stalk south Texas no problem). If I don’t shoot regularly I will get flyers with broadheads. That ain’t the rest fault it’s mine. I can shoot and work it out in a day with no adjustment.... BUT during season I’m guilty of not shooting as much. The drop away WILL clean up a SLIGHTLY torqued shot. I get better/easier broadhead flight is why I stayed. But I’d have no problem shooting a WB again. It a proven awesome rest!
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #48
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

i am in the WB camp due to only using a WB. me also being very new to archery i do not have very much knowledge regarding tuning and everything like that. i feel like once i get more comfortable doing my own tuning and everything i will probably switch.

I have had my WB for about 3 years now and have noticed the hole that the arrow rests in has started to expand. i havent noticed a differnece accuracy wise but assume that will eventually happen as the whiskers get worn down.
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #49
wild_bill_kodi
Spike

QAD is the best I’ve used or seen
wild_bill_kodi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #50
Buffalo1
Four Point

I currently have a Fuse Drop Away Rest on sale- ck out " Jumbo Archery Stuff Sale" in the Equipment Forum. Tks
Buffalo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top