Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
CTR0022
Ten Point

Default 1 million more ducks

https://youtu.be/cPy_aWfDiMI

Above is a new delta waterfowl initiative to put another 1 million ducks in the flyway.

A few things I took from the video. Ducks need 15-20% nesting success rates to maintain their population. Through deltas studies they are only finding up to 5% success rates.

Thats kind of a big concern of mine. I think it kinda confirms alot of hunters suspicions that we just don't have the duck numbers that we use to.

Secondly, it seems like we live in a world that thinks we can just throw money at something and it will fix the problem. Yes I know predator management and nesting sites will greatly increase nesting success. But I would still argue there are many more factors that need to be addressed.

What are your thoughts?
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #2
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

I think that without the Texas Agriculture from the past nothing is really gonna help us Texas guys.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Double R 2
Four Point

Hunt In: N.TX/S.OK

Boy somebody better break out the pop corn. This subject has the potential to go on, & on & on...I think this is a multi facet problem but will agree that lack of agricultural in areas that once had a lot is a big factor. I hunt an area that still has a ton of ag and it still has a lot of ducks. I feel lucky b/c I know that's not the norm for everyone though.
Double R 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #4
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: FJB

AND Eskimos love duck eggs and know exactly when and where to gather them...
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #5
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Until we get back to normal rainfall every thing will suffer.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #6
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Texas duck hunting has seen its best days. Nothing anyone does will help us get more ducks.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #7
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Texas duck hunting has seen its best days. Nothing anyone does will help us get more ducks.
I agree with this!! Iím glad I fish in the winter now. I might hear 5-6 shots on the lake and thereís 40 mud boat trailers in the parking lot. Iíll get me some private land Oklahoma duck shooting but my days of the public grind are long over. Least in NE Tx!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #8
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Disagree. Quality conservation can help anything.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #9
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Numbers really aren’t that bad. You’re just going to need the weather to get them to where you are and the habitat (and low pressure) to sustain them when they arrive.

I hope this campaign is effective as much as next guy, but water levels in the breeding areas are paramount and always have been.

The differences I’ve noticed in the last ten years are:

1. Strange migration timing due to strange weather.

2. Way too many geese

3. Too much pressure on marginal spots leading to ducks patterns changing. (Large concentrations where people take care of them).

Ducks are only going to go as far as they have to in order to feed and survive. If there’s tons of open water & food north of us in Ill, MO, etc., they’re just not going to be on us in peak numbers. On the same hand, why would a duck leave my rest area if he’s fed and unpressured just to fly to marginal habitat further south in TX? He won’t leave
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 10:17 PM   #10
J Loves Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Duck hunting for 17 years on public in N Tx. My opinion is it has ebbed and flowed with rain and weather.
J Loves Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 10:46 PM   #11
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever

A lot has to do with the shifting of the lunar phase and weather patterns. I don’t understand why they don’t dig design some revisor to hold water. Much like they do for rice farming. Then flood the pot holes when weather is needed.Why aren’t more wild duck eggs collected and hatched and then released back to the wild. Just imagine if each fly way turned loose 10,000 wild grown ducks. Much like our fishery’s. Lord only knows send those Eskimo some eggs, good god there are no shortage of those in the lower states
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 11:18 PM   #12
Statton48
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas and Comanche

This conversation has been around for a very long time!! Better conservation, lower the limit/closed season, shorter season, draw hunts, limit license and stamps, etc etc…. But yet, nothing hardly has been done. Texas has more waterfowl hunters in todays world than 15yrs ago. I’d love to see some water systems in place strictly for waterfowl like Arkansas does.
Statton48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 11:48 PM   #13
Duane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady TX

The habitat in Texas (or lack thereof) has very little to nothing to do with duck numbers in the flyway. Destruction of habitat in the northern breeding grounds is and always will be the leading cause of decline. And once land is developed or “improved” for farming, it’s gone. Measures to flood potholes, collect and hatch eggs, and predator control are all noble endeavors, but they are simply a means of making the most of the habitat that still remains.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 11:51 PM   #14
Duane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady TX

Forgot to add… Good grief, RIP ducks.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 12:21 AM   #15
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Are we trying to help the population in general or get them to Texas so we can kill them?

Nesting areas and water up north will help the most. It doesnt necessarily mean we will have many more ducks in Texas.

We lack food and habitat for wintering waterfowl.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 06:59 AM   #16
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my Sasquatch Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
I think that without the Texas Agriculture from the past nothing is really gonna help us Texas guys.
This !
Ever since the farmers left, the ducks left.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 07:34 AM   #17
LMiz
Ten Point

Hunt In: Huntsville, Madisonville & Freer Texas

I have been told that a lot of ducks are migrating “south” to the beautiful habitat Ducks Unlimited has created and then they just move east and west to stay away from frozen water. Therefore ducks aren’t coming all the way to Texas or Louisiana.
I’m no doctor but if I were a duck and had tons of food and water heaters to thaw the lake I wouldn’t leave either.

The lack of crop production in Texas due to hogs is a big factor too I think but again not a doctor
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #18
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
What gumbo said matters more than conservation. You can change limits, seasons etc but if they ain't go nowhere to roost and eat, it's all for not.

That said, if I had a time machine I'd love to head back just 50 years and just watch birds work

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #19
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty County

Waterfowl will only migrate as far south as they need to. Agricultural practices all the way up and down the flyways are making a difference and imprinting is a real thing.

The change to non-favorable rice production (ricetec rice) is also had major affect on the birds on the Texas and Louisiana gulf coast. This partnered with a huge move away from rice farming or turning traditional rice fields in to neighborhoods and fallow fields.

This is just a tip of the iceberg of what if happening, in addition to the overstatement of population numbers.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #20
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....
Default 1 million more ducks

My father in law is an avid duck hunter in Wisconsin. We had this same conversation. Over the past 10 years or so, the numbers of ducks that they see have been dwindling. They might shoot a handful a season, however they limited out on geese almost every hunt.

Gonna be interesting to see how duck hunting is this year if we donít get a good soaker. Thereís a little pond right in front of the Meacham airport in Fort Worth that always hold water and ducks. Itís right off of 820. This year is the first time Iíve seen it dry and Iíve been up this way since 2006.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Blood Trail; 08-06-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #21
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasqy View Post
This !
Ever since the farmers left, the ducks left.

My lease is in Gustine. Duck hunting there was amazing when they where growing peanuts back on the day. My rancher said thereís no money in growing peanuts anymore so all the farmers in the area stopped growing them. Mainly cotton now.

Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #22
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
My lease is in Gustine. Duck hunting there was amazing when they where growing peanuts back on the day. My rancher said thereís no money in growing peanuts anymore so all the farmers in the area stopped growing them. Mainly cotton now.

true story
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 08:21 AM   #23
Flyway12
Four Point

Hunt In: Henderson County

Pressure has had a big impact on migration and where birds go. If you look at mid winter index counts in TX you'll see that the area of the state that continues to grow is the hill country and west and south from there. Larger ranches, lots of deer hunting, minimal pressure due to those things. For years I haven't believed the counts biologists release but what do federal jobs rely on? Tax dollars. No ducks, fewer tax dollars, less funding, less pay. They need to sell licenses and they need to sell stamps. The winters are milder than ever (this will be my 30th season hunting ducks in TX), the food resources have drastically changed and with the fad of waterfowl hunting/guiding there are more people than ever doing it (at least in this state). I do believe a large percentage of the birds hang further north but I believe pressure, more than anything, affects opportunity. Oklahoma used to be the big "secret" and in the last 15 years it's gone from special to mediocrity with the influx of outfitters, out of state hunters and increase in resident hunters.

So many wildlife populations are drastically changing and I can only point the finger at ourselves. CWD is spreading, the turkeys are taking it on the chin, the waterfowl populations are declining, even the dove populations I used to see when I was younger are just not here anymore. Maybe I'm wrong but I've got to think the #1 problem here is the most common denominator. But scaling back or making unpopular decisions on management hurts the part everyone cares about... money. So while we claim conservation and management, do the powers that be really practice what they preach?
Flyway12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #24
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
You sure right David. Field, after field covered with houses instead of prarie and rice. They ain't coming back. Especially with Arkansas in their path.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #25
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
What gumbo said matters more than conservation. You can change limits, seasons etc but if they ain't go nowhere to roost and eat, it's all for not.

That said, if I had a time machine I'd love to head back just 50 years and just watch birds work

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Maybe we have different definitions of conservation.

More wetlands. More habitat. More food. All that equals more ducks. Look at what RMEF and the Mule Deer guys do. Amazing things with buying land and truly improving their numbers and quality.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #26
friscopaint
Ten Point

I hunt NW Oklahoma and it's steadily gone downhill mainly due to droughts and changing migration to the east where there is consistently more water
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #27
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
I hunt NW Oklahoma and it's steadily gone downhill mainly due to droughts and changing migration to the east where there is consistently more water
Funny you say that bc alot of people feel the migration has shifted west
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 08:06 PM   #28
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever

Too much money made off duck hunting.
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 05:53 AM   #29
bobby314
Ten Point

Regardless of weather, politics, conservation, bla bla bla, I'll still be putting waders on and dragging my butt out there to sit and stare at the sky this coming season.
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 07:00 AM   #30
txhunt7
Eight Point

I don't duck hunt but this is a great conversation. I live(d) in the Katy prairie and have watched the pattern change with the development and downright sad to me. Don't see the birds. Not a fan of development in Texas. Rice fields gone to cracker boxes. Ugly c h i t
Not a good sign for anything in the ecosystem. Yes we're dry which doesn't help at all but the numbers left before the drought
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 08:07 AM   #31
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
You sure right David. Field, after field covered with houses instead of prarie and rice. They ain't coming back. Especially with Arkansas in their path.

This ^^^^ is why Texas has seen its best days when it comes to duck hunting.

Trophy8, unfortunately it will never again be as good as it once was. Thatís just a fact. Sure conservation will help without a doubt.

They ainít gonna tear down houses and dig up concrete to replant fields. Sadly this is just the reality
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 11:58 AM   #32
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

My family would come from Louisiana to duck and goose hunt in Brazoria County before I was born. We moved to Brazoria County when I was young and the water fowl hunting was a big part of the decision to do so. Growing up we could kill a a limit of geese and pintails in our back pasture with just 50 white paper plates on the ground for a spread. The flocks of pintails were in waves so thick they would block out the sun. Oh to sit and think of those days. We never gave one moment of thought that those days would turn to these with the death of the farming industry.

RIP Texas Farm Industry.

Last edited by Gumbo Man; 08-07-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #33
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
This ^^^^ is why Texas has seen its best days when it comes to duck hunting.

Trophy8, unfortunately it will never again be as good as it once was. Thatís just a fact. Sure conservation will help without a doubt.

They ainít gonna tear down houses and dig up concrete to replant fields. Sadly this is just the reality
Agreed. Same as deer. I hate seeing ranches broke up. It may never be what it once was. But we can certainly improve it!
Old 08-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #34
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
Numbers really arenít that bad. Youíre just going to need the weather to get them to where you are and the habitat (and low pressure) to sustain them when they arrive.

I hope this campaign is effective as much as next guy, but water levels in the breeding areas are paramount and always have been.

The differences Iíve noticed in the last ten years are:

1. Strange migration timing due to strange weather.

2. Way too many geese

3. Too much pressure on marginal spots leading to ducks patterns changing. (Large concentrations where people take care of them).

Ducks are only going to go as far as they have to in order to feed and survive. If thereís tons of open water & food north of us in Ill, MO, etc., theyíre just not going to be on us in peak numbers. On the same hand, why would a duck leave my rest area if heís fed and unpressured just to fly to marginal habitat further south in TX? He wonít leave

Bingo. Only thing that peaks Texasí season is a drought year and freezing temps up north before thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top