Sitka Downpour or Kuiu Chugach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitka Downpour or Kuiu Chugach

Finally planning to break down and get some good rain gear. Looking for something that can be layered for early season or late. Has any one had any complaints about the Downpour or the Chuhach???

following

Comment

Couldn't wait any longer for feedback, broke down and got the Sitka Downpour Jacket and Pants. Will be going down to Aransas NWR in a couple of weeks and it looks like we will be getting a bunch of rain, will let you know how it works out

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
        Couldn't wait any longer for feedback, broke down and got the Sitka Downpour Jacket and Pants. Will be going down to Aransas NWR in a couple of weeks and it looks like we will be getting a bunch of rain, will let you know how it works out
        I don't think you will be disappointed.

Comment

Just a quick note on the differences as they're two different animals. Both are waterproof, but the Downpour has a brushed face fabric that makes it really quiet. Downside to that is the face fabric will retain moisture, take longer to dry and once it gets wet like that you lose some breathability. It's designed in their whitetail line, so typically you're going to be more stationary and not staying in a tent, so those downsides are in play much.

The Chugach has a smooth, "hard" face fabric, so water beads off of it much more readily so it doesn't absorb near as much water as a brushed fabric. It dries a lot faster and maintains breathability better for the same reason. Downside is you get some noise from the fabric. It's designed as a backcountry, staying out till I get something, and probably sleeping in a tent where I can't dry my stuff out piece.

I'd say you made the right choice if you're mostly waterfowl/deer hunting.

Comment

Thanks for the info! It will be mostly deer hunting in a tree but will need it about two weeks out of the year chasing elk

Comment

Originally posted by bounds View Post
              Just a quick note on the differences as they're two different animals. Both are waterproof, but the Downpour has a brushed face fabric that makes it really quiet. Downside to that is the face fabric will retain moisture, take longer to dry and once it gets wet like that you lose some breathability. It's designed in their whitetail line, so typically you're going to be more stationary and not staying in a tent, so those downsides are in play much.

The Chugach has a smooth, "hard" face fabric, so water beads off of it much more readily so it doesn't absorb near as much water as a brushed fabric. It dries a lot faster and maintains breathability better for the same reason. Downside is you get some noise from the fabric. It's designed as a backcountry, staying out till I get something, and probably sleeping in a tent where I can't dry my stuff out piece.

I'd say you made the right choice if you're mostly waterfowl/deer hunting.
              This.

Short of hunting in Canada or Alaska, the Chugach is a bit of overkill. That said, I bought it for my recent moose hunt and loved it.

Comment

I wore Kuiu Chugash last year elk hunting and it rained almost every day. It was a total downpour frog choker at times. It worked perfectly. I was dry and had no issues with noise. My guess is the Sitka is a great product as well. good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X