Trying to find a pack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find a pack.

I have bee looking at packs recently but being that I have only hunted once in my 31 years I find myself in need of some advice. I am currently between the Tenzing tz4000 (the older pack) or the Kuiu Venture 2300.

To me, the TZ 4000 seems to offer more versatility (i.e. the meat pocket) but I do like the Kuiu pack more, of course, this is just from comparing them online and not in person. My thinking is that the extra room the Tenzing offers to pack out meat isn't enough to take a deer in a single trip so which one would be better to make trips with. Not only packing meat but just carrying gear and longevity. What experience do you guys have with these packs or similar, and what do you suggest?

It all depends where you are planning to hunt: public? When I go public, I have an old Redhead ruck to carry essentials. I can hook that to the climber that I am walking in with. I also have an old external frame (no pack attached) that I can carry in on the climber as well. I use that to pack out meat, etc.
    It all depends on location and your intended quarry.

I also have a mountain bike and trailer set-up. It has been a good investment. Again, depends on where I am hunting.

Comment

What type of hunting are you doing?

Comment

Tenzing’s are more of a day pack gadget storage type deal than anything, but this also depends where and how you’re hunting. Explain what type of hunting you’re doing and I think that will help get you more answers as to what you’re looking for.

Comment

I've got a badlands 2200 I'd let go its **** near brand new.

Comment

Oregon pack works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Badlands make decent day packs, I've even packed out half a mule deer in a 2200... If you're talking about serious weight hauling, multi day back packing hunts, then look at Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, Mystery Ranch

Comment

Trying to find a pack.

Kuiu ultra 5500 here. I take it on 5+ day back country hunts and then attach the day pack to the frame for hunting here in Texas. No complaints for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by inthebag87 View Post
                  I have bee looking at packs recently but being that I have only hunted once in my 31 years I find myself in need of some advice. I am currently between the Tenzing tz4000 (the older pack) or the Kuiu Venture 2300.

To me, the TZ 4000 seems to offer more versatility (i.e. the meat pocket) but I do like the Kuiu pack more, of course, this is just from comparing them online and not in person. My thinking is that the extra room the Tenzing offers to pack out meat isn't enough to take a deer in a single trip so which one would be better to make trips with. Not only packing meat but just carrying gear and longevity. What experience do you guys have with these packs or similar, and what do you suggest?
                  The venture is more of a light framed day pack, not rated for any load. Look at mystery ranch pop up 28

Comment

Look at Osprey pack. they are some of the best.

Comment

For packing meat I use a MR Mule. It is only about 1500 ci this keeps me from overpacking. Sometime I wish I had stepped up to the Pinter at 2500 ci but I would just fill it with crap I do not use.
                      Last edited by PlanoDano; 09-20-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I bought the KUIU Icon Pro 1850 (with frame) and just used it on a 7 day backpack elk hunt. The bag itself works great as a day pack and carried all my hunting gear, I put my food and camp in a dry bag in the meat shelf.

A boned out bull elk quarter fit in the meat shelf between the bag and frame fine, I dropped the bag at camp and used the load hauler panel for the trip to the truck. I haven’t carried my climber with it yet but plan to.

The larger bags can all be put on the same frame, and the 1850 also has small aluminum stays that can be put in if you don’t want to use the frame.

Comment

I forgot I also have a 15% off KUIU coupon for new customers. PM me if you’d like it, I think it can be used multiple times. I’m not affiliated with them, just happy with the stuff I’ve used.

Comment

Originally posted by cpatterson View Post
                            Kuiu ultra 5500 here. I take it on 5+ day back country hunts and then attach the day pack to the frame for hunting here in Texas. No complaints for the price.

This. I have a Stone Glacier, but all the high end packs are generally the same set up, like EXO, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, and Kifaru. You get the frame, and then the pack. You can swap out most packs to any of the frames. That is the route I went.

Comment

I spent a week in WY carrying a Tenzing 2220. I have zero complaints, It held all my gear which included: First Aid Kit, Rain Gear, Insulation Layer, Knives, Lunch, Hydration Bladder, plus all the MISC stuff like paracord, leatherman, etc without issue. I hardly ever took it off despite it weighing in the neighborhood of 30lbs. We were day hunting out of a cabin on horseback, If I were packing in a hunt or having to pack meat out then this pack would have been undersized IMO, but for dayhunts it was great.

Comment

Working...
                              X