X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 opening day buck - Heavy G4

9/28/19

I apologize for the long read!!!

Quick background on this buck. I’ll try and keep this post as short as possible. Mass is one of my favorite characteristics on a rack.

First noticed him in 2016. Not sure where he came from but he just showed up one day at my other spot. He was a wide, heavy 8pt. He had an absolute pig of a body, extra long ears and a huge melon of a head. He looked old but was extremely healthy.

2017 he moved to my Pump Jack spot and has stayed there ever since. His rack stayed about the same but he got even heavier. Looked older as well. He was a very recognizable deer....Rack, body characteristics and split left ear. Found both sides of his sheds that year. I noticed he had a ridged area on his right side beam where a G4 would be. His 3rd mass measurement off the shed was 4 2/8”.

2018 his racked changed up a bit. He added a little tine length and pushed up about 3” G4 on his right side and a very small g4 on his left that might have been big enough to score. His body was on the decline. Didn’t get to hunt very much that year but was able to watch him on several occasions. Was guessing him best case 130” but could have been mid to upper 20’s.
    I didn’t like his rack much that year but what do I know. Lol. I was sure hoping he’d had stayed an 8pt and turned into a shooter one day. I love big 8’s. Lol

2019...Off the first set of velvet pics, I knew he looked like he was on his way to becoming a nice one. It didn’t take long to recognize this set of horns would be his best rack he’s ever had. He’s looking wide and heavy!
    Over the course of the summer....I was locked onto that mass. That’s when he got his name, the Heavy G4 buck.

2019 was the roughest year of my life. My Dad passed away on January 25, 2019 after a long 6 year battle for his health. He was Warrior and fought it head on till the end. He was at home where he wanted to be and I held his hand as he took his last breathe. God has been so good to us and I’m very thankful for the peace that he has provided through all this.

I spent all spring and summer shooting my bow, tinkering with different arrows, arrow weights and different vanes just trying to take my mind off things. Archery was helping with the healing.

To put things in context...
    Pump Jack is one of my favorites places on this earth. With Dad being an amputee and his failly health it made it difficult to get him out to hunt. Pump Jack is setup perfectly to allow Dad to hunt and see a lot of deer.

The high light of recent years was getting to take my dad deer hunting with me. We would just drive in and park on the edge of the pad that overlooked my spot. It worked perfectly and got to enjoy seeing my Dad drop several deer with his “famous” neck shots. He would always call the shot and he would talk about it all the way home. He would also make me tell the story of his “neck shots” to anybody that would listen.

The realization of not being able to take my dad hunting anymore was very hard for me leading up to this weekend. Dad’s favorite characteristic on buck is spread. He didn’t know score or anything but his first words were always “well how wide was he?” That was the only number Dad cared about.

I arrived at camp early Friday before the opener. I was excited about bow season but was also pretty emotional.

I chose not to hunt Pump Jack opening morning. I was trying to avoid going in there because I wasn’t mentally or emotional wanting to face it. I loved taking Dad there to hunt. We shared a special connection to that spot.

I think that was my way of honoring Dad by letting that spot be vacant on the opening morning of season because knowing Dad wouldn’t be here any more.

I’ll wrap this up...
    I spent some time praying and then took a couple hour nap after lunch. I woke up energized and at peace.

I soon got dressed to make the evening hunt and made the drive to the spot I call Pump Jack. It was like 5pm and 100 billion degrees hot but I got in my bow blind anyways. Lol

I set in there next to the blind fan for a good bit trying to cool off. I spent some time praying and thinking about all the good memories we’ve shared. I wasn’t really ready to hunt so I knew I’d better start soon. I attached my video camera to the arm but didn’t have it ready or lined up yet.

I could see the spot where Dad and I parked up on the pad from my view out the window. It felt like he was there with me. I don’t know how to put that in words. As I’m looking out the window and lining up where the video needs to be and adjusting the focus, I catch sight of a buck walking right in front of the blind. He walks right into the video screen I just zoomed into. It was the Heavy G4 buck. First thing I noticed was the big mass and his spread. I truly believe it was a gift from God and Dad.

I did set there for a bit and just admired this cool buck. I liked him a lot!!!

With his old age and mass...I knew he was the one I wanted this year. He’s a special buck to me.

After I hit the record button on the video I grabbed my bow and prayed “Lord help me when I aim”. I pulled back, the pin found the spot I wanted and soon the Grim Reaper Hybrid was on it’s way. It was like time stood still for a second.

I was a wreck. I watched him stubble and struggle to run and then there was dead silence.

I immediately fell to my knees with tears and thanked God for the blessing. I regained my composure looked out the window and said a thanks to Dad as well. I know he was watching!

Heavy G4 was at the end of a short track. He managed to go 60 ish yards. I paid my respects to him and thanked God again. I could not contain my excitement any longer. I was all jacked up!!!!! Man, I love bowhunting.

Here’s a few details on Heavy G4...142 4/8”.
    33 4/8” mass, 19” inside spread, 11pts
    and 145lbs field dressed. He had the biggest head and ears on him that I’ve ever seen.
    He was at least 8.5 plus on age (I believe he was probably older based off history and my guess.)

Dad’s favorite thing was spread. So I’ll always think back to Dad when I hold these horns.

There’s so much more to hunting than the killing. Being out in God’s great outdoors is a special thing to me that I truly appreciate and thankful for all of it.

Here’s the video......

It was super early in the evening and I knew it would be a long while before I could get help with the LDP’s so, I tried a few solo pics with my cell phone.
    Wasn’t easy but I managed to get a few day pics by my self, for the time being.

Some night LDP’s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bone Thug; 10-01-2019, 04:26 PM.

Congrats, really nice buck. Thanks for sharing your story and memories with your father. He put that buck for you on opening weekend.
    Last edited by Rj Flores; 10-01-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Great buck!

Comment

Awesome read, that will forever be a special buck your dad would have been so excited. The video link didn't post just FYI. Congrats

Comment

Nice deer and write up.

Comment

Excellent read and another fantastic buck.

Comment

Was wondering how your opener went.....Now we know, congrats on a great deer, great shot, successful recovery and video!!!

Comment

Congratulations. What a great buck. What a great write-up. Thank you so much for sharing your Dad's story, your story and Heavy G4's story.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                  Awesome read, that will forever be a special buck your dad would have been so excited. The video link didn't post just FYI. Congrats
                  Thanks.

I was having trouble with the video posting correct. I think i got it now but let me know if it still doesn't work.

Comment

Awesome buck and a great read to go with. Ur dad might not of been there in body but he was still there with u and always will be. Congratulations on a fine buck

Comment

Just like clockwork. You never fail to produce! Beautiful deer, better write-up.

Comment

Wow!!! Great buck Brandon... Congrats a superb buck... Great write up too....
                        You know I teared up reading that and you know why.. What a great tribute to your DAD..
                        Awesome brother.. Great shot too. I knew as I was watching that you were waiting on that leg to move forward.. Smoke city!!!!!!
                        Last edited by PondPopper; 10-01-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

What took so long?

I'm kidding off course.

Yet another extremely fine animal by my TBH bow hunting hero. And a great write up too.

Thug it up!

Congrats

Comment

Helluva buck Brandon! Congrats again!

You dang sure can tell a descriptive story that rivals East Texas folks...... Thanks for sharing!

Just keep stackin' them up buddy!.

Comment

Great write up Brandon. God bless buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X