Welding Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Dale. Dale Moser!!?? Lol

Make sure he isn't welding anything galvanized until he is 30yrs old or older.

In all seriousness make sure to do all the above. And enjoy the trade. It can be a great hobby, side gig, or career. Also warn him, it's like having a truck. You'll have lots of friends when the time is right for them. Charge accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      Just teach him to fit pipe......that welder will be working for him in a couple years

Yepper…...

Comment

Right now he is just welding pieces of scrap and pipe together. He is using a shiny piece of metal for a table top. I don't think it is Galvanized.

I don't have anything for him to cut the metal with right now. What is the best recommendation for a starter?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          Right now he is just welding pieces of scrap and pipe together. He is using a shiny piece of metal for a table top. I don't think it is Galvanized.

I don't have anything for him to cut the metal with right now. What is the best recommendation for a starter?
          Torch! Most people today can't run a torch to save their lives!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            Torch! Most people today can't run a torch to save their lives!
            This, I can't tell you how many I have had to train to use a torch and some being welders. I bought the largest bottles a homeowner could 30 years ago and they have really been handy. Learn to use a rosebud also and to weld and braze with it, it's a dying art.

Comment

Shirt tail out and don't tuck your pants in your boots.

Comment

Safety glasses any time he is using tools. Even under the hood. Get him in the habit. Having stuff extracted from his eye is not pleasant. I've trained my daughter to wear them at all times from the time she was little and helping me out. Glasses are cheap. I keep them staged all over the place. Probably have 20-30 pairs scattered around, so I always have some close at hand.

A good respirator like mentioned above. I also like the Miller. It fits under the hood.

Hearing protection - encourage him to be in the habit of using it. My hearing is crap from years of not wearing protection.

Good gloves - welding gloves and also material handling gloves. Get some that fit.

Comment

Cut a piece of leather to either clip on the bottom of the helmet, or simply drill out some holes and rivet, or use small bolts to hold the leather on. Makes it handy when it gets hot outside, protects your neck/chest so you don't have to button your shirt all the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
                    Cut a piece of leather to either clip on the bottom of the helmet, or simply drill out some holes and rivet, or use small bolts to hold the leather on. Makes it handy when it gets hot outside, protects your neck/chest so you don't have to button your shirt all the way up.

Smartest comment yet.

Take him to welding store and let him try on every pair of gloves to find what fits and feels good.

Comment

Don’t forget about heat stress. Plenty of water, don’t push it if you start getting the shakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        Calling Dale. Dale Moser!!?? Lol

Make sure he isn't welding anything galvanized until he is 30yrs old or older.

In all seriousness make sure to do all the above. And enjoy the trade. It can be a great hobby, side gig, or career. Also warn him, it's like having a truck. You'll have lots of friends when the time is right for them. Charge accordingly.
                        I'm probably not the best to ask about safety.

Get used to getting burned. Have some kind of sleeves on. WEAR HEARING PROTECTION....grinders and hammers are what I think hurt my hearing the most. I've never owned any leathers, but wouldn't mind some for overhead stuff.

Make sure combustible fuel containers are well away from your work area.

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
                          Also stops the flash from reflecting under the hood, especially off a light shirt. I glued a bandana in mine so it isn't heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Shirt tail out and don't tuck your pants in your boots.
                            Until that grinder with the cutting wheel on it catches a tail and slices your belly open. Shirts tucked in with leathers and you don't have to worry about it.

Comment

Remind him those welding gloves aren’t just for when he’s welding. Metal will cut the crap out of you and it stays hot for a while after you grind/cut/weld.

Also make sure he wears good boots - steel or composite toe. Too easy to bust a toe or get burned wearing tennis shoes.

Comment

Ventilation and safety glass are the only things I wish I would have been better at over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X