What 7mm-08 ammo for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 7mm-08 ammo for deer?

I just bought a 7mm-08 for my wife to hunt deer, hogs, and Axis with. I want ammo that will do the job, hopefully not kick her around too hard. She has neck and back issues, and gets bad headaches if she shoots bigger rifles.

I use the Hornady American Whitetail on several big hogs and deer. Works good for me. I think its 139grn.

Comment

I’ve killed a bunch of stuff with the Hornady Precision Hunter 150gr ELD-X. Accurate and a devastating bullet.

Comment

Something in the 120g range would be ideal from that round. I’m not certain if all the manufacturers that offer them, but federal does a 120g fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Remington 140gr psp core lokt have always worked well.

Comment

If you can find them Hornady makes a 120 grain lite load that should have a little less recoil and would be good out to at least 300 yards.

Comment

Good luck finding ANY 7mm-08 at all right now.

Comment

AC, Not sure if you've thought of this but if so great. If she's hunting from a blind and basically stationary, get her a stock that is heavy so that it reduces the recoil. Also a muzzle break on it maybe? I personally don't care for muzzle breaks but a good one does work to help reduce recoil.

Matt

Comment

If you don’t hand load, the Hornady Lites are probably your best bet. If you do roll your own, a 120gr NBT with a “starting” load of 4350 should be more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot the Barnes 120gr. in mine and it provided awesome performance.

Comment

My gun is a little heavy, but recoil is very mild. 243ish

Comment

I’ve hand loaded the 7mm-08 in the past. I’m hoping to avoid it. Right now any ammo is next to impossible to find. The light load may be what I need as long as it still has enough energy at 200 yards for the game I mentioned. She won’t be shooting any farther than that.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          My gun is a little heavy, but recoil is very mild. 243ish

Thanks. She shoots a .243 often with no issues. The gun I bought is fairly on the heavy side.

Comment

I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot the 139 grain Hornady American whitetail soft points.
                            I have an uncle that shoots 140 grain Winchester extreme points and likes them.

My mother in law shoots 120 grain hornady reduced recoil sat’ sand they perform well on deer also.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                              I shot the Barnes 120gr. in mine and it provided awesome performance.
                              This is what I reload and shoot. Barnes sells them if you can find them but I have had good luck reloading using the 120gr TTSX and Varget.

Comment

Working...
                              X