Coyote Caller Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote Caller Help

I purchase an ICOtec caller last year and have used it many time but NEVER NOT ONCE had anything respond to it except a hobo but that's a different story. I just got back from Llano where I saw coyotes and bobcats but they never once came in even though I know they heard it. I've used tape players a time or two and had foxes come in.

Are Foxpro's that much more realistic that I should spend the coin or is it possible that our varmits are somehow call shy? I really like the idea of adding other calls from the internet. Cabela's has the FoxPro Spitfire on sale for $119 with free shipping. Would that be a noticeable upgrade or do I need to spend even more? I really need to reduce our dog population so tell me what I need!

Thanks

I wanna hear the hobo story.

Comment

This is just my 2 cents and others may disagree, but I have not had a lot of success with coyotes in the hill country with an ecaller. Ecallers work very well on foxes, but I primarily use mouth calls sparingly for coyotes and I call them during the daylight hours.

Comment

Try a mouth call before you by another ecall. I have a foxpro but over the years I've called in more yotes with a mouth call.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
          I wanna hear the hobo story.
          It never gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
            Try a mouth call before you by another ecall. I have a foxpro but over the years I've called in more yotes with a mouth call.
            I get that but what I really want to do is locate the call away from me and not use it until I'm sure no deer are coming that sit or if I see a coyote. I would also like to be able to do woodpecker distress calls which I've had success on foxes with and raccoon distress which I'm told are awesome on coons.

Comment

McHale has an amazing cottontail distress call, it works great

Comment

I know nothing about ICOtec but FoxPro is a awesome caller. I like being able to put the caller so I can keep the wind in my favor. You cant do that with a hand call. I don't know how many acres you have access to but if only 1 or 2 hundred I could not justify anything more than the Spitfire.

Comment

You calling in the day or night?

IMO if you want yotes, you gota do the work. Camo up, get the wind right and call during the day.

Foxes and cats in my opinions are much easier to call with the ecaller. What sounds you doing? I have had 0 luck with coyote vocalizations. Cotton tail, jack rabbit bluejay distress are my go to sounds had GREAT luck with them.

Comment

Are you sure they aren't comming in and catching your wind? How are you setting up to call?

Comment

Old state trapper told me to hang some chicken gizzards/livers 6' off the ground using wire and big treble hooks. Said it calls them in every time.
                      Last edited by Thumper; 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Another thought. If you just want to get rid of the coyotes and don't care how you do it. Some snares might be the way to go.

Comment

DO NOT own an icotec but have heard them , sounds good to me

Comment

The big name callers definitely have their place, but like you mentioned I have called in a bunch of yotes and cats with a big ol boom box from the 80's that took a dozen d-cell batteries. Now I know that's not very efficient, but the point is, you don't have to have an expensive caller.

Comment

Working...
                            X