Cook Venison Tenderloin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
    I "know" its probably the best and tastiest way to eat it, but dang, I just cant do rare or medium rare. We try and cook our meat so that its cooked enough, but get it off before it gets to dried out. Sometimes we dont get it. Sometimes we do. Is there a way to cook that tenderloin without "taking it off when its rare"?

It's ok to cook it till the doe's no longer barking or the buck ain't grunting.
    It's still tender

season however ya like, lay jalapeno on top, wrap in bacon and throw in oven or grill till the bacon is eatable and the tenderloin will be cooked.

Comment

They are pretty small. Salt and leave on counter for an hour or so to get them close to room temp. Hit them with pepper and sear on hot grill or in a hot cast iron skillet...cook no more than med rare. Hit it with real butter Ruth's Chris style, pour a glass of red wine and you are living large.

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
        Man that looks good. Mind sharing the Pontchatrain sauce recipe

The sauce is really simple... After searing the fillet medalions in the skillet, remove the meat and pour in a half pint of heavy cream, 2 rounded teaspoons of Creole mustard, tablespoon of butter and stir until it turns golden brown and starts to thicken. drop in 2-3 tablespoons of drained capers and stir them in a bit. Place meat on plate and drizzle generously the sauce over the fillets...

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
        You always mention a sawmill gravy, you got a recipe for it? You’ve got me interested!

Sawmill gravy is not made with sausage drippings... That's a whole other animal...

After chicken-frying your meat (venison, beef, chicken, or whatever) remove the meat and drain off all but about 3 tablespoons of the grease. Try to leave all the crunchy bits in the skillet though. Then sprinkle flour into the skillet (no particular amount, but enough to "soak" up the grease. stirr continously until the flower is browned and made thick and paste-like. Be careful not to burn it at this point. At this point, you can make "poor man's gravy" or the good stuff by either pouring in a couple cups of water or milk. I prefer condensed milk diluted with water. I usually have the milk/water mixture already in the bowl that I intend to serve the gravy in so I know how much gravy I'll have. Pour in all the milk/water mixture and stir constantly making sure the flour paste is thoroughly dissolved into the milk/water mixture. Continue to stir until it is thickened to your desired thickness and has turned a light brown color... It will take a few times to figure out what mixture of flower/grease/milk portions makes the best gravy you like. When you get it right, the gravy will be creamy smooth with no lumps and not too thick... Once the mixture comes to a boil in the pan, the longer you cook it, the thicker it will become. When it seems to be just a little thinner than you think the finished product should be, stop and pour it into the bowl you had the milk mixture in. It will thicken more as it cools off...

Done right, Sawmill Gravy with fried backstrap, mashed potatoes and homemade yeast rolls is the food of the gods!!

And YES, fried okra with a good cornmeal batter fits in with it real nice too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks Charlie. Sound a whole lot like my brown gravy recipe, but milk instead of beef broth.

Comment

Cook Venison Tenderloin?

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
            I "know" its probably the best and tastiest way to eat it, but dang, I just cant do rare or medium rare. We try and cook our meat so that its cooked enough, but get it off before it gets to dried out. Sometimes we dont get it. Sometimes we do. Is there a way to cook that tenderloin without "taking it off when its rare"?

My response to Charlie got me to thinking about this. Yes you can cook them through without being too tough as others have told you and here is a way we like to do it.

Trim your tenders up removing all silver skin. Rub with light olive oil then coat with salt and pepper (heavier on the salt then you might think). Let them sit out for an hr or two to let them warm up and the salt melt in. Cut up a whole onion to your liking (I normally cut into halves). Get a cast iron skillet smoking hot with a little oil in there and toss the tenders in. Cook maybe 2 minutes per side to get a nice crust on them. Then remove to a dish that you will end up putting everything in and throw the onion in the skillet. At this point cut the heat down to medium and cook onions until tender. Pull them and put in dish with tenders. Put 1 tbsp of butter in the skillet and melt and then 1 tbsp of flour in the skillet and stir around. Point is to brown it up without burning. After browned, add either 1 or 2 (depends on how runny you like your gravy) cups of beef stock to the skillet (be careful here as it will likely steam and can burn you) and stir in well making sure no clumps are left. Once it mixed up good and to a light boil add tenders and onions back in and let cook for 10-15 minutes on low. That will get the gravy incorporated into the meat and will help to slow cook the tenders past medium safely.

Serve with mashed potatoes and whatever else goes good with gravy and youve got a dang good meal.

Just a note here, sometimes ill slice the tenders into 1/4” thick medallions before doing this. Either way is good.

Last edited by BURTONboy; 01-12-2021, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Just do it sous vide and see what you’ve been missing. Been doing it like that for years. I set my maker at 120 for 1 hour. Then have a pan with hot duck fat ready. Any high smoke point oil or fat works. Sear it on each side and then slice. That’s how 90% of my backstrap gets cooked as well.

Comment

^^^^This!!!!^^^ Did it last week and it was amazing!!!!! Everyone try this!!! Amazing!!

Comment

Sous Vide is also very good to do steaks made from the big muscles of the hind quarters. Just let them stay at 120-125 for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and that will help to make the coarser grain steaks much more tender... A Sous Vide machine and a griddle or cast iron skillet are the two best things that ever happened to meat!

Comment

Working...
                  X