Teeth Aging Texas Hill Country Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

7, 4, 9+ since these are low fence jaw sets you BETTER have an exact age on these deer as in some how ear tagged as fawns if you are going to "tell" us how old they are later in the thread other wise this is a total waste of an exercise

Comment

old enough

Comment

in

Comment

All I’m gonna say is that there not gettin any older!

Comment

5,3 and 8.
              Hill Country deer will fool you.
              Might add a year to the first two.
              I'm just guessing.

Comment

Yall pretty much know how I feel. History is the only way.

Comment

I feel so sorry for guys that get booted off a ranch because the teeth don’t meet a certain age requirement.

Comment

You kill that second deer on my place and your butt wont be back next year. Baby killer.

Comment

To establish meaningful data, you need to build your own database based on deer in the area you hunt based on known aged deer. Having said that, the jawbones pictured if typical diet and habitat, #1 would be in the early mature (5 1/2 year old) class, #2 would be in the middle aged class, (3 1/2- 4 1/2) and #3 is post mature (7 or older)... That's about a close as you can get from a blind set of specimens.

Comment

Deer #1 is older than deer #2 and deer #3 maybe older than me.

In truth, unless you have an ear tag in their ear, who knows?

Comment

Tooth aging is by no means reliable past 1.5
                          Best used in conjunction with on the hoof photos and history

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                            7, 4, 9+ since these are low fence jaw sets you BETTER have an exact age on these deer as in some how ear tagged as fawns if you are going to "tell" us how old they are later in the thread other wise this is a total waste of an exercise
                            Hmmm, I "BETTER"? Your post made me chuckle a little.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            History is the only way.
                            Yes it is.

I like seeing all of the responses. Gonna wait for a few more, and then I'll weigh-in.

Comment

What TX Hill county Counties are these from?

Comment

The more deer I look at, the more contradicting data I see. Honestly I don’t put a whole hell of a lot into it anymore. It’s interesting but far from accurate.

I’ll say that 3rd deer was a good kill, regardless of head gear. The other deer still had some life left... based on tooth wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X