No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good season Mike, enjoyed the whole thread.

Comment

Enjoyed following along Mike. Thanks for taking the time!

Comment

enjoyed tagging along on this thread, do y'all have pigs?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Good season Mike, enjoyed the whole thread.
          Thanks !!! I am going to do a recap after I go thru my journal and get a total of deer seen and cool stuff that happened.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Double L View Post
            Enjoyed following along Mike. Thanks for taking the time!
            It has been fun. Hopefully I can do it again next year.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
              enjoyed tagging along on this thread, do y'all have pigs?
              Billy. We got plenty of pigs but thankfully not ferals. There are 3 hog houses within a mile of us. One to the north, one to the east and one to the west.

This is my neighbors. There were 1235 pigs in there the day I took this picture. Iowa is the #1 pork producing state in the nation. There is a processing plant in Ottumwa (30 miles to the north of us) that slaughters and processes 18,000 hogs a day....every day 365 days a year.[emoji54]

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                Billy. We got plenty of pigs but thankfully not ferals. There are 3 hog houses within a mile of us. One to the north, one to the east and one to the west.

This is my neighbors. There were 1235 pigs in there the day I took this picture. Iowa is the #1 pork producing state in the nation. There is a processing plant in Ottumwa (30 miles to the north of us) that slaughters and processes 18,000 hogs a day....every day 365 days a year.[emoji54]

18,000 a day...wow! They must be bringing home the bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by bigt6450 View Post
                  18,000 a day...wow! They must be bringing home the bacon!
                  Look at JBS (Ottumwa). JBS slaughters about 90,000 a day nation wide. This report was from 2017. A friend of mine that works at the plant in Ottumwa told me that they are slaughtering over 20,000 a day now. Covid-19 slowed them up a little this year but not much.

Comment

Thanks for taking us along on this excellent adventure. I'm looking forward to your's and Tracie's next. As well as the recap here.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post

Man, that’s lots of squealing !

Mike, I sure enjoyed this thread, it was almost as good as hunting, maybe better on those cold days ! Take care and be safe !

Comment

Glad to see you enjoying the midwest Mike . Lotta good deer in your future!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thread and enjoyed tagging along with you. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I looked for a tree saddle hunting thread to discuss some tree saddle progression. But was unable to find the one I was wanting, so, this one will do.

I recently purchased all of my tree saddle stuff, still waiting on my climbing sticks.
                            I have been getting in the tree, 3' or so, just to get the feel for it. I will admit, there is a trick to getting an understanding on the geometry and physics with swinging from a rope. Each time I get in the saddle, the more it feels "natural", I guess that would be correct.
                            I was able to shoot 360 degrees around the tree today, something I have never done. I did encounter a little hand torque in one of the shots. I will say this, hand torque is very manageable from a tree saddle.

Feel free to chime in your own experiences or learnings about this. Thanx Calvin
                            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 07-30-2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              I looked for a tree saddle hunting thread to discuss some tree saddle progression. But was unable to find the one I was wanting, so, this one will do.

I recently purchased all of my tree saddle stuff, still waiting on my climbing sticks.
                              I have been getting in the tree, 3' or so, just to get the feel for it. I will admit, there is a trick to getting an understanding on the geometry and physics with swinging from a rope. Each time I get in the saddle, the more it feels "natural", I guess that would be correct.
                              I was able to shoot 360 degrees around the tree today, something I have never done. I did encounter a little hand torque in one of the shots. I will say this, hand torque is very manageable from a tree saddle.

Feel free to chime in your own experiences or learnings about this. Thanx Calvin
                              I feel like I can shoot better from a saddle than I can from a lock on. You can brace yourself with tension from your feet on your platform and your tether pulling against your bridge. This gives you more stability for a steady hold at full draw.

Your weak side shot (1 o'clock to 2 o'clock for a right hand shooter) can be difficult. From 11 O'Clock on the left side of the tree all the way around to 3 O'clock is a relatively easy shot.

This buck came in at about 4 to 5 o'clock. I had grunted him in from about 60 yards. I had rotated around and was ready for a shot. This was a young buck and I was not shooting him. He saw me taking pictures but still ended up broadside at about 17 yards.

Comment

I drew a non resident tag for Dec 4th through 8th. Will be using a 444 Marlin and in SW Iowa, near Glenwood, but I have always followed your posts and one day hope to do the same and relo up there. Living the dream my man.

Comment

Working...
                                X