Another Humbling Trad Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Humbling Trad Hunt

Well I guess I should stick to paper and 3D targets.

These pigs stuck around for a second shot. If you look closely, you can see I actually hit a small pig standing behind the one I shot over. (Not fatal) Second shot was low.

Two misses in one hunt. I hope they’re out of my system soon.

Any and all advice needed/desired. But it’s coming together for me. Even with this debacle, I’m learning. Will keep plugging away.

Skip to almost the end for second shot.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZYyXjymgE&t=64s"]52823 GC Trad - YouTube[/ame]

Trad is humbling for sure, especially after the big stack of pigs and deer you’ve killed with your wheel bow. Sounds like you have the right attitude, learning from your misses. I don’t know how many critters I missed at lay-up compound range before I finally connected. You will get there I’m sure

Comment

No offense bud but the bow is loud and something rattled too. Don't often see pigs duck but that one sure did.
      Was the head tight on the arrow? Quiver tight? Limbs tight?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not offended because you’re right. Something was loud. All is tight now.

Of course in slo mo on camera you can really hear things.

Comment

Great attitude. from what you wrote, it appears you likely have what it takes. You gotta be downright stubborn.

Quit shooting at them so far, get them closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            I’m not offended because you’re right. Something was loud. All is tight now.

Of course in slo mo on camera you can really hear things.
            And see things.
            But, the reality is that this is hard. We all know you are a genuine killer. It will come. We all took those lumps.
            Heck, every now and then even the best take one. Most of us aren't even close to the best so we get humbled more often than we'd like. Stay with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttechhunter View Post
              Quit shooting at them so far, get them closer.
              How far was I?

Comment

Heck, I do that with a compound bow.

Comment

Stay after em FnD! It’s weird, cuz after I had several scenarios like you had play out, when it finally did all come together, it seemed oddly “easy”. As in, “how did I mess up all those other times?!!” And of course since then, I’ve messed up many more times! Nothing like it when it all does work out though! Like Gary said, it did sound a little loud, but I just chalked it up to slow mo video, and shooting inside an “echo chamber” popup. Sound, especially on video, is super magnified in those things! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Keep trying. It will come together for you. One thing that cannot be overemphasized is to pick a spot to hit. It is even more important without sights.

Comment

That first shot looked really close until it took off. Not sure how close you are but I'd try to get a little closer. Looks like you could get over to the left by the brush and still make the shot at the feeder. I had my daughter set up at 8 yds. for her first compound kills, I'd go to that feeder when I needed a confidence shot with my longbow. When they were on my side of the feeder they'd be at 6 yds. Lots of confidence built that way !

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words. I’m using my compound set ups and don’t plan on changing them for trad. I’ll just hand corn closer. Shot on first pig was 18 yards. If I can’t do that, I need to identify as a cross bow shooter.

Comment

Humbling at times, most definitely.

But, when it all comes together for success, it makes up for it.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            Thanks for the encouraging words. I’m using my compound set ups and don’t plan on changing them for trad. I’ll just hand corn closer. Shot on first pig was 18 yards. If I can’t do that, I need to identify as a cross bow shooter.
                            You say that like 18 is close. 18 is definitely a shot experienced shooters make. Heck on foam 35 is achievable. But honestly even with a compound many, many of my kills were under 20 yards. I just set up close. For me bow hunting has ALWAYS been about how close I can get. Not how far I can shoot. Sure I practice long with both styles of bow. But I want to see their eye lashes when I shoot them. I've killed two bucks o er 30 yards. One this year during the doe and spike section. The other long ago in Missouri. But the compound kills aren't quite as satisfying.
                            That said it's up to you what you want out of it. But as so many will tell you, when it does work out, you'll understand why it's hard to go back to a compound.

Comment

Keep trying, sooner or later it will come together. I could tell you about the time I missed 4 deer in one morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X