Gator gar from a kayak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    That looked like great fun. I grew up river fishing and hunting. Always something new around the next bend.

That’s for sure man….. great time even if you have a bad day fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mtac767 View Post
      Great Video man, I have caught the river bug and this has only inspired me more.

Get out there man! It is a blast

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        That's a lot of gar balls right there

Going to have to try that man. They sound really good

Comment

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
          That’s awesome

thanks for watching man!

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
            I only see little gar and 3 to 4 footers occasionally behind my house in the canal. I wonder why the bigger ones aren’t there. Nobody is messing with them. There is a spring fed lake nearby with the bigger ones. Enjoyed your video. I like eating them too

I really want a 7footer now. Thanks for watching man

Comment

You have the best bait. Grass carp maybe a tad better than regular carp but both twice as good as Buffalo. The carp head is the best bait on the carp.

Comment

Underrated power fish right there. I watched a guy get pulled around Trinity Bay one morning years back in a 12' jonboat. Fought it for 1.5 hours. Got it to the boat and it broke off. It tail danced a couple times during the fight. There was a collective "ahhh man" from everyone around the area watching.

Comment

Awesome video as always.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    You have the best bait. Grass carp maybe a tad better than regular carp but both twice as good as Buffalo. The carp head is the best bait on the carp.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

I did notice that they are not to keen on buffalo in the area I fished. 2 different trips there ended with two skunks. I was hoping you might help me on when to set the hook? It seems like I wait to long but if I set to soon I get a big nothin lol. I did notice that they are super sensitive to pressure. Those were live liner reels and even that turned all the way down would cause them to drop the bait. I had much better success feeding them line through an open bail. I used a standard 4/0 j hook? Have you had any success with circle hooks? I guess the question is should I set before they stop to eat the bait? Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
                      Underrated power fish right there. I watched a guy get pulled around Trinity Bay one morning years back in a 12' jonboat. Fought it for 1.5 hours. Got it to the boat and it broke off. It tail danced a couple times during the fight. There was a collective "ahhh man" from everyone around the area watching.

They really are in that river. Sure they spend their life fighting current. Great sports fish imho. You just have to get a little dirty doing this type of fishing lol!

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                        Awesome video as always.

thanks man! I love making the videos from start to finish lol

Comment

Great video!

My son and his buddy (catching dinosaurs) have posted several videos of a technique they have experimented with and perfected using a tiny hook (Size 1 or a 1/0 Gamakatsu live bait hook). They are big into C&R for these fish and these small hooks do the least amount of damage to the fish and catch the heck out of these giants.

Comment

Gator gar from a kayak!

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            Great video!

My son and his buddy (catching dinosaurs) have posted several videos of a technique they have experimented with and perfected using a tiny hook (Size 1 or a 1/0 Gamakatsu live bait hook). They are big into C&R for these fish and these small hooks do the least amount of damage to the fish and catch the heck out of these giants.

I have spoke with Henry is that your son?

Last edited by killerbee; 06-01-2023, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
                              I have spoke with Henry is that your son?

My son is Kyle (fish whisperer). Henry is his fishing buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
                                I did notice that they are not to keen on buffalo in the area I fished. 2 different trips there ended with two skunks. I was hoping you might help me on when to set the hook? It seems like I wait to long but if I set to soon I get a big nothin lol. I did notice that they are super sensitive to pressure. Those were live liner reels and even that turned all the way down would cause them to drop the bait. I had much better success feeding them line through an open bail. I used a standard 4/0 j hook? Have you had any success with circle hooks? I guess the question is should I set before they stop to eat the bait? Thanks man

I fish with 2 0 thronged trebles. I free line by hand until the fish stops. Then I give it a minute and troll out taking up line. When I get close, I tighten up on the fish and it will almost always start moving away. I let the fish pull tight which makes the leader pull out of the teeth and back to the corner of the mouth. Hit him hard. The fish is already headed away so be ready! Hook sets on fish swimming away are near 100 percent hookup.

Otherwise, even if he has swallowed, you end up just jerking leader against teeth and he spits about 75 percent of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X