Travel trailer wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel trailer wiring issue

Went to pick up the trailer and could not close slide. There is no power inside trailer. Charged battery installed and plugged into truck 7 way. Trailer power jack worked, and trailer brake lights worked. Need to get trailer off ranch to get worked on but need to get slide closed and power stabilizers up. Possible to use generator to bypass 12v system? Any ideas of what else to check?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Fuse going to slide maybe..? Also, if the wiring for the slide motor is exposed, make sure something didn't chew it in two. Might check voltage at the switch as well. Hope it's something simple!

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter1 View Post
      Went to pick up the trailer and could not close slide. There is no power inside trailer. Charged battery installed and plugged into truck 7 way. Trailer power jack worked, and trailer brake lights worked. Need to get trailer off ranch to get worked on but need to get slide closed and power stabilizers up. Possible to use generator to bypass 12v system? Any ideas of what else to check?

Check the fuse box?

Comment

There should be a wrench that you use to manually close slide and jacks. Happened to us years back, luckily it was at a campground and found someone with similar camper. Hopefully you have a wrench in yours, dealership either forgot to put one in our camper or was removed and never put back. Good Luck

Comment

You should have a fuse or circuit breaker inline from your battery to the house distribution center. A lot of times the circuit breaker are mounted on the frame directly behind the battery. Follow the battery cable back ans you should located it. If not there look inside your distribution center, and you might have a few 30-40 amps fuses. Chexk those. If everything else fails and thr slide is 12v, go to the motor underneath and hook up the charged vattery to that. If it trys to extend, reverse polarity

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
            You should have a fuse or circuit breaker inline from your battery to the house distribution center. A lot of times the circuit breaker are mounted on the frame directly behind the battery. Follow the battery cable back ans you should located it. If not there look inside your distribution center, and you might have a few 30-40 amps fuses. Chexk those. If everything else fails and thr slide is 12v, go to the motor underneath and hook up the charged vattery to that. If it trys to extend, reverse polarity
            This, but definitely make sure no rodents chewed the wire to eliminate any other issues. With it sitting for however long you could have had a squirrel or mouse chew the wiring. If it sounds like it's trying to retract but not moving could be the motor or the slides may need to be lubed.

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
              Check the fuse box?
              Checked the main inside trailer but feel there might be another. The switch panel inside that has the awning and slide switches is not getting any power. Just weird that the power jack is working

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                Ok thank you. Thought there might be another breaker. I checked all fuses in trailer. Hoping I can hook up generator and get them closed but want to be prepared if that doesn't work

Comment

Make sure you don't have any gfcis tripped also.

Comment

Ok thank you. Thought there might be another breaker. I checked all fuses in trailer. Hoping I can hook up generator and get them closed but want to be prepared if that doesn't work

Your slide out are a 12v system. A generator will probably not help, unless the slide is hooked up to the distribution center instead of battery

Comment

Where is trailer located,there are several ways to get in. If in south Texas I would be willing to go check. No I don't don't offer help for pay, just like to help.

Comment

It would be a fuse, not a breaker.

Comment

Year, make, model will help us a lot.

Comment

Checked the main inside trailer but feel there might be another. The switch panel inside that has the awning and slide switches is not getting any power. Just weird that the power jack is working

Power jack is probably not ran through the camper wiring but hooked up directly to the battery. I would follow Careys advise he knows his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              It would be a fuse, not a breaker.
                              That is not exactly right. Alot of times there is a 12 volt in line main circuit breaker between battery and the camper.

Comment

Working...
                              X